7,000# vs 10,000# Trailer

/ 7,000# vs 10,000# Trailer #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
A trailer dealer was advertising a nice 7,000# trailer near me.

I asked how much more for the same in a 10,000# version?

He indicated about $250 more, as all they would do is increase the axle capacity.

I thought a 10,000# trailer was built heavier than a 7,000# trailer in several respects,

Am I missing something here?

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ 7,000# vs 10,000# Trailer #2  
Not that uncommon for the 7k and 10k to use the same frame, just means the 7k frame is way overbuilt. Saves them money by only needing one design instead of two. Dropping to the 7k (2x 3500lb) axles makes it legal for smaller vehicles to pull, in some states/cases.

-rus-

/ 7,000# vs 10,000# Trailer #3  
yep.. and even might be the 5k axles, witht he hangers setup differently to derate them.

soundguy

/ 7,000# vs 10,000# Trailer #4  
I can tell you that my Leonard 10k# trailer is different in many respects from a similar Leondard 7k# trailer. In addition to the axles, wheels, tires, etc., the frame is constructed of larger/thicker steel, the deck is higher, and the fenders different.

I'm comparing Leonard to Leonard. Of course my 10k# Leonard looks simlar to (and maybe lighter-duty than) some 7k# trailers I saw at another dealership. I was on the fence on what to get, so I opted for the "lighter" 10k# trailer instead of the "heavier" 7k# trailer.

I ordinarilly carry ~3,000# to 4,000# on the deck, but have loaded it to 7,000# before on a short trip from the quarry.

In my case, the price difference (again, Leonard to Leonard) was ~$300 to go to the 10k# trailer.

Personally, for the minimal price difference, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the higher-rated trailer. At the very least it will give you peace of mind when hauling a load. In the long run, it could save you having to buy/sell again later.

/ 7,000# vs 10,000# Trailer #5  
ive been looking for a 10K trailer for a while now. (6 bolt axles)

most car hauling trailers (non sided non angle iron trailers) are basicly the same frame just diffrent axles.

/ 7,000# vs 10,000# Trailer #6  
Get the 10k. I was easily sold on the 10k over the 7k when looking at the PJ trailers which use a much stouter frame for the 10k and of course the much stouter 5200# dexter axles.

The thing weighs 2500#s empty though.

I've never heard anybody say, "I wish my trailer could carry less".

/ 7,000# vs 10,000# Trailer #7  
Not that uncommon for the 7k and 10k to use the same frame, just means the 7k frame is way overbuilt. Saves them money by only needing one design instead of two. Dropping to the 7k (2x 3500lb) axles makes it legal for smaller vehicles to pull, in some states/cases.

-rus-

Would you explain why it would matter for a smaller vehicle to have the trailer derated?

/ 7,000# vs 10,000# Trailer #8  
Would you explain why it would matter for a smaller vehicle to have the trailer derated?

In some backwards states the GVW of the trailer can't exceed the tow rating.

That is the only place I can see where it would matter.

/ 7,000# vs 10,000# Trailer #9  
In some backwards states the GVW of the trailer can't exceed the tow rating.

That is the only place I can see where it would matter.

Because some states *cough* Florida *cough* have rules on what will pass for Intrastate Non-Comm use vs Intrastate Comm use.18K being the limit.

/ 7,000# vs 10,000# Trailer #10  
Because some states *cough* Florida *cough* have rules on what will pass for Intrastate Non-Comm use vs Intrastate Comm use.18K being the limit.

WI follows the feds with 10k. I thought Florida did too.