Too much slope

/ Too much slope #1  

lakngulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
Even a little slope (covered with pine straw) is too much slope for trailering. There are few (read no) actual level spots at my house. I have one area that has worked great for loading and unloading tractor. Last night I stopped the truck and trailer with tractor in a slightly different spot, set the emergency brake and began the process of unloading tractor.

I started the tractor, un chained the tie downs, placed the ramps and began to back off. As the tractor hit the spot where it "lifts" the rear of the truck a bit, I noticed that the ground was moving faster than I was backing up. The truck and trailer were moving foward down the pine straw slope. In front of the truck was my wife's car, and beyond that was the kitchen door. Do I drive forward with the tractor to get the truck back firmly on the ground, or do I continue backward? There really was no time to do anything.

The truck was turned slightly left at parking (that might have been part of the problem as well) but as it was pushed forward it turned more sharply left to miss the car. The trailer, before it could follow the truck left, found a tree with the right part of the frame, and everything stopped abruptly. I breathed a sigh of relief, and issued a reprimand to myself. I think my only damages are my ego, my confidence in trailering and a dent in the trailer frame.

I think I will put a block in front of trailer wheels when loading and unloading from now on.

/ Too much slope #2  
wow! it couldnt gotten real bad fast. good thing you are ok. But one question, don't you have jacks in the back of the trailer to prevent this happening? chocking will help but still have the spot of trailer to lift truck. Even if you don't have a permanant jack, anything will work. be it a floor jack, bottle jack, scissor jack from truck, old fashioned farm jack, even jack stands if you use the tongue jack to lift from till back is touching jack stand firmly.

I am glad you are safe and nothing damaged but ego. Its always easier to have a bruised ego then actual damage on car, house, yelling wife :D .

/ Too much slope #3  
I block the tires with 6"x6" wood blocks even on flat ground... Another thing I did was to create a Flat spot to park and unload the trailer. Changing the sloping ground to usable flat area for extra parking...

/ Too much slope #4  
This happens all too often. You were lucky you were not hurt. One of your members got a broken arm, bent trailer, and a bent truck with the same chain of events.

Here are a few suggestions. Put the truck in 4x4 if available. It will allow the tranny to lock the front axle also. Block the tires of the trailer, this is a no brianer. Pull the brake away cord on the trailer to set its brakes. Put jack stands under the rear of the trailer to keep it from lifting the back of the truck.

Chris

/ Too much slope #5  
Even a little slope (covered with pine straw) is too much slope for trailering. There are few (read no) actual level spots at my house. I have one area that has worked great for loading and unloading tractor. Last night I stopped the truck and trailer with tractor in a slightly different spot, set the emergency brake and began the process of unloading tractor.

I started the tractor, un chained the tie downs, placed the ramps and began to back off. As the tractor hit the spot where it "lifts" the rear of the truck a bit, I noticed that the ground was moving faster than I was backing up. The truck and trailer were moving foward down the pine straw slope. In front of the truck was my wife's car, and beyond that was the kitchen door. Do I drive forward with the tractor to get the truck back firmly on the ground, or do I continue backward? There really was no time to do anything.

The truck was turned slightly left at parking (that might have been part of the problem as well) but as it was pushed forward it turned more sharply left to miss the car. The trailer, before it could follow the truck left, found a tree with the right part of the frame, and everything stopped abruptly. I breathed a sigh of relief, and issued a reprimand to myself. I think my only damages are my ego, my confidence in trailering and a dent in the trailer frame.

I think I will put a block in front of trailer wheels when loading and unloading from now on.

Wow that sounds like a wild ride! I would have to change my shorts after a ride like that one. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am glad that you got a free pass, it could have been ugly! I would block the front wheels of the truck along with the trailer wheels and then I would block the back of the trailer so it can't drop and lift the truck. That way a single point failure of the blocking won't result in a replayof your wild ride. I think the key is to keep the rear wheels of the truck on the ground and fully weighted. :D:D:D:D

/ Too much slope #6  
Picture showing tractor being loaded with rear jacks on trailer.:D

Attachments

• PB190013_edited-1.jpg
    PB190013_edited-1.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 266
   / Too much slope #7  
Glade the out come was positive on...whew.

Egon attach to me best way to go..also chalk tires.

/ Too much slope #8  
Egon looking at your trailering pic. sure does remind me of how much I like my dove tail. Don't get me wrong I have to watch not to drag it. I'm pretty flat here in GA. and hasn't been a issue yet. I just throw a couple of wood blocks under the tail when I load or unload just to be safe. Plus it also inables me to leave my attachments on.

Attachments

• trailer pics. 001.jpg
    trailer pics. 001.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 187
   / Too much slope #9  
The dove tails would be nice. Unfortunately my trailer had to serve for other purposes not compatible with a dove tail.:D

/ Too much slope #10  
I am like you Egon. I have had a DT trailer and it was my last. I much prefer the flat deck. Others like the DT so I guess that is why they make both types for each individual buyer.

Chris