DPF Removal, F350 6.4L Powerstroke

/ DPF Removal, F350 6.4L Powerstroke #1  

TheRegMan

Bronze Member
Has anybody removed the DPF from their vehicle. This is something I have thought of for a while. My wife is totally opposed to me doing it for "green" reasons which I respect and have some reservations for the same reason. Additionally, someone once stated we could get a $25,000 fine if caught but I have never been able to confirm that.

I think (no evidence to the matter) that I could probably substantially increase engine performance by reducing the back pressure on the engine and increase milage by 5 mpg on the highway. At current fuel prices, that is very significant.

If anybody has ever done it, what was the result?

Thx!

/ DPF Removal, F350 6.4L Powerstroke #2  
I have not but do own 2 Ford Diesels but neither have DPF. I have read some reviews of guys who did in magazines and a few sites and they seem to think it helps the truck.

Does your state test emissions? The reason I ask is most states that do now have diesels as exempt but that is all changing.

Chris

/ DPF Removal, F350 6.4L Powerstroke
No we do not have emission inspections on diesel engines. Gas only. I have read the stuff in the magazines with everyone talking about performance increases. That is not really important to me since the truck already has all the power and torque I need but I sure would appreciate an extra 5 mpg.

/ DPF Removal, F350 6.4L Powerstroke #4  
Does your state test emissions? The reason I ask is most states that do now have diesels as exempt but that is all changing.

Chris

In Ohio, Diesels are run on a dyno, scanned through the obd2 port, and visualy inspected with a hand held mirror underneath, just like the gassers.

/ DPF Removal, F350 6.4L Powerstroke #5  
A friend of mine removed his on an 08' f250 - gained 3-4mpg all-around. He also castrated a couple F450's (roll-back, tow truck) - they had similiar results. I think he used a SuperTuner after the removal on all trucks to either fool the regen entirely or lessen it's affects.

Actually, I believe from what I have read, the DPF removal kits come with a sensor that goes into the pipe which replaces the DPF,that basically makes the computer believe it has already done a regen. There is no regen.

During the Regen process, diesel is actually pumped directly into the DPF and burned, heating the DPF up to 1,000 degrees to burn up all the soo

/ DPF Removal, F350 6.4L Powerstroke #7  
I've got a Dodge 3500 with DPF, I only get 10 MPG I'm just afraid to remove it due to possible warranty issues.

Tell your wife you'd be saving fossil fuel, that's pretty green. When these things go into regen they dump alot of fuel in there.
I don't know what causes global warming but the EGT's coming out of one of these is high enough to cause spontaneous combustion.

They say the EGR valve is worse for your engine, they have EGR delete kits also.

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/index.php?

Alot of truck info there on all the big 3, should be able to find out more about DPF delete.

Thanks JB4310. I'll take a look at that. I didn't know about the EGR issue. Very interesting. I also like the idea of saving fossil fuels:)

10 MPG has got to be killer. Mine is not a dually so I know that makes a difference.

/ DPF Removal, F350 6.4L Powerstroke #9  
You might want to place a call to the engineers at Banks in CA. I have bought things from them in the past and they have generally been good about telling customers what various moves done would do to a truck and how the sensors, etc. are affected. I have been less then impressed with the information provided by some fairly big named aftermarket tuners about this. It seems pulling the DPF really allows them to use a heavy fueling tuner on these trucks but I am not really sure if anyone knows whether it would affect the engine long term. One concern I would have is whether removing the DPF without recalibrating the engine management system would affect some of the sensor reads and thusly the performance long term. I trust Banks the most because they have taken the time to invest in the highest grade equipment for testing and actually have the finances to BUY test mules, rather than using volunteer trucks for test beds. I am sure they have pulled DPF's off trucks in testing and would have some data about its affects, whether modified or not. My impression is that taking the DPF off sounds like a bad idea. One thing you might do first if you have not already is make sure your 6.4L has the most updated operations program. My 6.4L did not, as I purchased it mid model year in 2008. I took it to the dealer and was getting 15 mpg unloaded on highway and about 9 pulling. After the recalibration, I was up to 17.5 unloaded and 12 pulling in the same driving cycle--without potentially harming my warranty. I will say that I am a bit of a gearhead and have had my diesels modified over the years almost without exception, either for more speed or for more economy or both. Now, with these trucks having so much performance from the factory, coupled with enhanced drivability also, I have stopped seeing the point. I know of folks who have removed their DPF's on practically new trucks and have honestly wondered why. If I were to consider this route, I would probably discuss it with a trusted source such as the one above first. Good luck.

John M

/ DPF Removal, F350 6.4L Powerstroke #10  
I have a 2008 F-350 with the DPF removed. The best option is a SCT tuner or a Spartan tuner. I am running the Spartan tuner and only run the 210 HP tune. They have tunes from stock HP to 310 HP incress. I don't think you can expect to use a high HP tune + run the truck hard and have it last as long as stock. With the DPF in place the regeneration process causes fuel dilution of the engine oil.