Horse trailer ?

/ Horse trailer ? #1  

ChrsDrn

Hi,
I bought a cheap $500 trailer for my wife and daughters horse, it is covered in rust a couple rust holes need fixing... needs new tounge jack... needs new dividers.... today I was looking at the brakes, all rusted need new shoes ect. so I thought I would buy the whole brake unit, here is where I am confused
the trialer has 10" brakes... with 5 lugs... the data plate says it is 9,900 pound trailer with 5,200 axle weight rating, and 6 on 5.5 lugs, clearly the drums have been changed, would the axle need to be changed to fit smaller drums on? I can read on the axle that it is a torflex I can not seem to find a model # ect. on it. trouble is I can not get close to the axle since the trailer is in my garage and I cannot jack it up,(I had to let air out tires to get it in).
I am thinking about dumping this trailer before I get in too deep.
Thanks
Chris

/ Horse trailer ? #2  
It hard to say with out really pricing it out, but in my my past with similar projects, they have not saved money. Anymore if the object doesn't have the functionality I need then I don't buy it.

/ Horse trailer ? #3  
Doesn't sound like a trailer I would use to move my horses. Would you ride in it? Sounds like the under side is probably completely shot!

/ Horse trailer ? #4  
Dump the trailer. How much does that horse mean to you? Sounds like that trailer is trashed all over. For your safety, your horse, and other people on the road, don't use that trailer. Don't mean to sound judgemental, Chris, but it sounds like it would be cheaper to buy a better trailer than to try to fix this one up.

/ Horse trailer ? #5  
Doesn't sound like a trailer I would use to move my horses. Would you ride in it?
I agree and, no, I wouldn't ride in it much less put horses in it.

To Chris - Sounds like it's a rust bucket steel trailer that will be a money pit.

When we were looking for our first horse trailer, we opted for a gooseneck, aluminum stock trailer with a steel frame. We now have a 10 year old EquiSpirit bumper pull. No rust on either of them. After we saw our first used steel trailer, we wrote them off our list.

Click Here for a good place to start looking.

/ Horse trailer ? #6  
It sounds like you have learned a lot about buying a trailer. If you go forward with repairs look at the Dexter web site or look at Redneck trailer supply. Both have lots of information on axles and brakes.

I would cut my losses and look for a better/safer trailer.

If you find a real nice trailer and clean it very well after each use you will get your money back at any time. Leaving popop & pee on the floor and sitting out side will make them fall apart pretty quick. I have always used a stock trailer to haul our horses with no problems.

Dan

/ Horse trailer ?
I just went to a horse trailer retailer, he had a stock trailer that I will talk to the wife about I know nothing about horse trailering, or horses for that matter. I am still curious though if you can put the wrong brakes on the axles or if the axles where changed... oh well I wil sell this hulk and buy something differnt. the good news is that my Jeep will have indoor parking again :eek:)
Thanks
Chris

/ Horse trailer ? #8  
I have found that most horses will load into a stock traler a lot easier than they will the small two horse trailers. Plus the stock tralers can be used to haul other stuff a lot better than pure horse trailers. We have two horse trailers. For local ahort distance hauls we use the 14ft stock tralier. For long distance and for shows we take the three horse gooseneck with 6 ft tack room.

/ Horse trailer ? #9  
Stock trailers are OK if you don't have to haul horses a long way in real cold weather.

/ Horse trailer ? #10  
You can not put 10" brakes on a 5.2K axle. The bearings are all different sizes and the hub is in the brake drum. My first guess is someone changed the 5.2K axles out for some 3.5K axles and these would accept the 10" brakes and 5 lug wheels.

Now with that said if you give me the inner and outer bearing number I can verify it for you. Anything is possible so it could still have the 5.2K axles on them and you could take 10" drums and turn them down with lathe to allow the races and bearings to fit. The only reason I could see doing this is to allow the trailer to use 10" brakes instead of the standard 12" brakes seen on 5.2K axles and this now allows you to use smaller tires and the trailer sit lower. Of course now you limiting factor is the weight carrying capacity of the 4 tires Probably enough for 2 horse with decent tires.

If this is the case you have a money pit on axles. It would cost you over $1000 to get new backing plates, drums, tires, and wheels to make it right. If you had new hubs/drums machined again it would be about $50 per hub/drum in maching cost and $250 for 4 new hub plus $250 for 4 new backing plates. Either way its going to be a nearly a grand job.

Hate to say it but sounds like you bought a problem. I would dump it and keep your search going.

Chris