trailering my tractor

/ trailering my tractor #1  

Rustywreck

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland T 1520
It is time for my first post on TBN, other than my introductory post, and I want to thank everyone in advance for any advice.

For the first two weeks since I discovered TBN I have been reading old and current posts, and I am amazed with how much I didn't know about tractors, attachments, and their use.

I have searched the forum regarding my question and the amount of information pertaining to my question overwhelming to say the least.

My question: I have a New Holland TC1520 tractor with various attachments, including a snow blower. I would like to trailer it to a few locations (my job being primary) to do some snow removal. I will have a steep, long hill to pull up and down. What do I need for a truck and trailer to haul this thing?

I have a 1993 Chevrolet k1500 with a 4.3 V-6, 5 speed, which I know will not do the job. I have had this sorry old truck for a long time and 270,000 miles, and will not part with it so I would be looking to buy an additional used truck. Whatever I buy to pull the tractor will not have to be a daily commute vehicle - I have a little car for that.

I had my mind set on a 1-ton dump as I could make use of the dump truck, but I'm reconsidering it after reading another topic regarding them.

Sorry for making this so long, but I wanted to make sure I provided enough information. Thanks again for the advice.

/ trailering my tractor #2  
A good 4x4 V8 1/2 ton will do the job. Get something with a tow package and a 7,500# or more tow rating. Your tractor only weighs 2,200# and figure 500# for a snow blower. You did not say if it has loaded tires or a FEL but on a small tractor like the 1520 you still would only be at 4,000# max then figure 2,000# for a 7K trailer.

I am really happy with my current 1/2 ton, a Nissan Titan, and was also very happy with the 6 F-150 4x4's I had between 1997 and 2007. Never had a single issue with any of them.

Just do your research. Get a low gear ratio. Just because its a V8 does not mean squat if its backed up by a high gear ratio.

Just for reference you current truck has a 3,500# tow rating according to my book. If it had a auto tranny it would be 5,000#

Chris

/ trailering my tractor #3  
Rusty Wreck IMHO. Chris has hit dead on the money.A late model 1/2 ton v8 should be plenty for your needs. I have a 01 F-250 with a 5.4 and 3.73. My tracktor weighs pretty much the same as yours,and use a 7k trailer also. It is pretty much an over kill for my needs now. I bought the truck to pull my Ranger bass boat so I was using it mostly for Hwy. travel so opted out on 4wd. and rarely if ever go off road with it,thats what the atv. is for:p.With the ride and handling I believe it was a good choice for me. If I was in the market today for a new truck a F150 would my choice or 1/2 ton.

Carey

/ trailering my tractor #4  
   / trailering my tractor #5  
Trying not to mean to buy just a Ford.I know how people get by the Manufactuer on here:rolleyes: Hummm!

Carey

/ trailering my tractor #6  
ditto on the 4x4 v8 1/2 ton as a minimum.. though I might look for a 3/4t or dually.. even an older one.. that and a 16' tandem trailer minimum.. if not an 18 or 20 foot with or without beaver tail.

electric brakes on whatever axles the law in your area says.

soundguy

Last edited:
   / trailering my tractor #7  
ditto on the 4x4 v8 1/2 ton as a minimum.. though I might look for a 3/4t dually.. even an older one.. that and a 16' tandem trailer minimum.. if not an 18 or 20 foot with or without beaver tail.

soundguy

3/4t Dually?:D May I see one?:p

Sorry, couldn't resist, don't want to start any fights...

KYle

/ trailering my tractor #8  
ditto on the 4x4 v8 1/2 ton as a minimum.. though I might look for a 3/4t dually.. even an older one.. that and a 16' tandem trailer minimum.. if not an 18 or 20 foot with or without beaver tail.

soundguy

Not to get all technical here but I have never seen a 3/4 ton dually. Only 3/4's I have seen are SRW and all the duallys I have seen are 1 tons and bigger except for the one offs like the Dually Ranger I pulled out of the ditch 3 or so years ago and there is a Dually Suburban about 2 miles from my co workers house. I remember some time ago seeing dually kits in JC Witney so I know anything is possible.

As for the brakes in WI they are required on any trailer of 3K. No mention of brakes on all axles but if buying new its a well spent extra $150. Also no mention of a brake-away but I would not own a trailer with brakes without one. The whole brake-away system is less than $50.

Chris

/ trailering my tractor #9  
Guys.. remember I type on a netbook with 8" screen and a keyboard the size of 2 pieces of 'short' toast.

I missed 'or'.

glad you caught me on it. has since been edited.

now let the floggings continue

soundguy

/ trailering my tractor #10  
Guys.. remember I type on a netbook with 8" screen and a keyboard the size of 2 pieces of 'short' toast.

I missed 'or'.

glad you caught me on it. has since been edited.

now let the floggings continue

soundguy

We have to catch you when you make a mistake. You know its all in good fun. You are usually 99.99% on the money.

Chris