goosneck or bumper hitch

/ goosneck or bumper hitch #1  

johniebomb

Tractor
175 Allis gas
Hi all this is my first post and I am sure my answer is in the search some where but I have not been very good at using the search. Heres my dilemia, I cut apart a 76 one ton dually that had a flat bed on it to make a trailer out of. I was going to put a gooseneck hitch on but was thinking that since the trailer is already so balanced maybe I would be better off putting on a bumper hitch. I will be pulling with a F 350 super duty and plan on putting on a old 8 foot dump truck bed to haul gravel with. I was also wondering if it would be worth it to put on a surge brake hitch since I still have the brake lines and brakes on the axle. Any help you could give would be greatly appriecated.

/ goosneck or bumper hitch #2  
With a heavy load, I believe a goose neck will pull and handle the weight better.
But, making the hitch on a tag trailer is much simpler.

Depending on the weight class of the license plate, brakes and/or inspection may be required.

Is this for on/off road, or off road only?

/ goosneck or bumper hitch #3  
In reality you will never be over say 7,000# on the trailer. That is trailer and payload. Now with that being said I would not tow any trailer with that weight on a single axle trailer..

Chris

/ goosneck or bumper hitch
I want to be able to lience it to so I can take it to the quarry to get rock but will only be pulled localy with in 25 miles of home. Why would you not pull anything like that on a single axle trailer?

/ goosneck or bumper hitch #5  
I want to be able to lience it to so I can take it to the quarry to get rock but will only be pulled localy with in 25 miles of home. Why would you not pull anything like that on a single axle trailer?

I have towed about 10,000 miles a year for the last 10 years or so and towed 4,000 miles a year prior to that for about 15 years and that much weight on a single axle trailer is scary when everything is good. Blow a tire and it would whip around my F-350 like a rag doll.

Chris

/ goosneck or bumper hitch #7  
76 one ton dually

I would do it with a gooseneck

Dan

Good point about the blown tire, the trailer is a dually so is that going to still be a problem with a blown tire? Also my F350 that I will be pulling it with is a single wheel 4x4 diesel. If I go with a bumper hitch would it be worth it to put a surge brake acuator on it? Thanks for all the replys.

/ goosneck or bumper hitch #9  
If I go with a bumper hitch would it be worth it to put a surge brake acuator on it? Thanks for all the replys.

Unless you want to rig up an electric conversion kit (lots of time and probbaly a pain to do) or get an electric over hydraulic brake actuator ($650) you need to get a surge brake actuator ($200ish). From what I hear you want to find one that has an electric lockout solenoid so that you can back up without applying the brakes.

I would recommend keeping the emergency brake cables (if so equipped) and setting them up so that you can use them as a parking brake.

Aaron Z

Great point about the e brake cables, is there any body that has posted free plans on building a goose neck hitch for a trailer?