GMC 2500 Towing Capacity

/ GMC 2500 Towing Capacity #1  

abb

Tractor
JD 6403
I have a 2009 gmc 2500 duramax and have a good deal on buying a JD 6403 4wd with FEL but don't know if i have enough truck to pull it behind my 25' load max gooseneck. The tractor and fel weigh about 9700#. Hopefully wont have to pull it alot but need to know i can if i need to. Any advice would be helpful.
Kyle

/ GMC 2500 Towing Capacity #2  
Sent you a PM.

Ranges from 12,500# to 15,800# depending on cab, bed, and 2/4 wheel drive. With the info you gave me being a Crew Cab 4x4 the max tow rating for GN/5th Wheel is 13,600#. For towing via the rear hitch the max rating is 13,000#

Chris

Last edited:
   / GMC 2500 Towing Capacity #3  
I have a 2002 GMC Dmax....and pull at fifth wheel with dry weight of 15600. I wouldn't have issue with it at all.

/ GMC 2500 Towing Capacity #4  
That should be a walk in the park for you and the DM. Granted its only local hauling but I tow a JD5400 with loaded tires, grapple, and PTO splitter that weighs 9500 on my 14K BP for a total of 14K with a measly 350 gaser. Been doing it routinely for 2yrs without a single problem.
BTW here we are debating a DM pulling 14Kish and I saw on the highway yesterday a Dodge crew cab hauling 3 cars on a 30' plus trailer. What the heck!

/ GMC 2500 Towing Capacity #5  
That should be a walk in the park for you and the DM. Granted its only local hauling but I tow a JD5400 with loaded tires, grapple, and PTO splitter that weighs 9500 on my 14K BP for a total of 14K with a measly 350 gaser. Been doing it routinely for 2yrs without a single problem.
BTW here we are debating a DM pulling 14Kish and I saw on the highway yesterday a Dodge crew cab hauling 3 cars on a 30' plus trailer. What the heck!

Things like that are what will get the state's DOT told to watch for them by the FED's DOT sooner or later.

/ GMC 2500 Towing Capacity #6  
Things like that are what will get the state's DOT told to watch for them by the FED's DOT sooner or later.
I haven't studied this near as much as you guys but I see those hot shoters everyday pulling 3 car/trucks. I don't even have to do any math to figure that might be over the mfg tow ratings. However in Ohio non commercial doesn't get scrutinized like in some other states. But I've mentioned this at least a dozen times anyone who has ever attended a tractor pull or local fair has to have seen what comes in on SRW trucks pulling goosenecks. I know this doesn't make it right or legal but guy down the road has a business and he pulls way more than I do behind a 3/4T dodge cummins SRW. Has for years.
The thing I can't believe they haven't cracked down on is the reason everybody wants to use a 3/4 or 1T truck is to get by without paying the high insurnace and tags. Heck most of the time bigger trucks can be bought cheaper.

/ GMC 2500 Towing Capacity #7  

That three car hauler probably wasn't much heavier than what you said you pull.

/ GMC 2500 Towing Capacity #8  
I haven't studied this near as much as you guys but I see those hot shoters everyday pulling 3 car/trucks. I don't even have to do any math to figure that might be over the mfg tow ratings. However in Ohio non commercial doesn't get scrutinized like in some other states. But I've mentioned this at least a dozen times anyone who has ever attended a tractor pull or local fair has to have seen what comes in on SRW trucks pulling goosenecks. I know this doesn't make it right or legal but guy down the road has a business and he pulls way more than I do behind a 3/4T dodge cummins SRW. Has for years.
The thing I can't believe they haven't cracked down on is the reason everybody wants to use a 3/4 or 1T truck is to get by without paying the high insurnace and tags. Heck most of the time bigger trucks can be bought cheaper.

Let a few get in accidents, then you'll see it. I don't worry so much about the ones with 3 cars as they might be legal. But when you see them with 3 pickups, then you have to wonder.

Trip before last, I got stopped at the Fla Ag Inspection station with a car hauler behind me. I got inspected so I didn't get a chance to see if he got weighed at the weigh station. Or whether he bypassed it. With as many as are out on the road without DOT #s, you know they can't all be legal.

/ GMC 2500 Towing Capacity #9  
Yup, the truck has the power to pull the load but you will be overweight on your GVW and subject to overweight fines if you get stopped. Its up to you whether you want to take the chance, and if you get in an accident while towing an illegal load you are subject to increased liability