Tractor and Gooseneck Hitch

/ Tractor and Gooseneck Hitch #1  

derekuk101

Bronze Member
Tractor
M5-111, M8540, M4900, Ford 3600
I would like to use my 28 foot flatbed gooseneck with my tractor. I was hoping to haul hay (round bales) with it from the field to the barn. The trailer weighs 4900 lbs empty and is rated for 14000lbs. I've bought the trailer mover three point hitch attachment from tractor supply (rated at 2200lbs) and realize it is not safe to use for moving the trailer with any type of load.

Is there any implement on the market that you can use with the tractor to move a loaded gooseneck trailer? (14000lbs) I don't want to use it on the road, just across fields.

Thanks

/ Tractor and Gooseneck Hitch #2  
I would have a shop make a adapter for your 3 point. Around here they use flatbed Semi-Trailers with a dolly to pull them behind a tractor.

Chris

/ Tractor and Gooseneck Hitch #3  
Is there any implement on the market that you can use with the tractor to move a loaded gooseneck trailer? (14000lbs) I don't want to use it on the road, just across fields.

Not sure who makes the TSC version but check out Summit Fab (click here). They have a heavy duty GN version for Cat 1, 2 and 3 tractors that come with a 2 5/16" ball, Model# FPHS-SDEG, $399 + $55 shipping.

/ Tractor and Gooseneck Hitch #4  
I went to a local fab shop and had mine custom made for 100.00 and its heavier built than the one in the link.

/ Tractor and Gooseneck Hitch #5  
I think the issue here is tongue weight...How much is there on a 14K GN trailer?

/ Tractor and Gooseneck Hitch #6  
I would guess there would be 3,500# to 4,000# of tongue weight on the trailer but should be no issue for him and that rig. I pull my boat with my 28hp Jinma and it has 1,800# of tongue weight.

First pic is the tractor pulling a 10,000# boat with about 1,000# of tongue weight. I do not have one with the big boat on the back but my FEL will not lift the tongue while the 3 point has no issue. It weighs 15,600# and has 1,800# on the tongue.

Chris

Attachments

• IMAG0104.JPG
    IMAG0104.JPG
    467.5 KB · Views: 1,237
  • IMAG0225.JPG
    IMAG0225.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 662
   / Tractor and Gooseneck Hitch #7  
IMO, Diamondpilot is right. I had one made a few years back and it's a lot stronger & better built than those you can buy. I saw mine this weekend. It pulled around a 34' Gooseneck which I've since sold. If it were'nt for the shipping I'd sell it to you. Get a welder experienced in "making" farm stuff.

/ Tractor and Gooseneck Hitch #8  
Your kubota m8540 is rated to lift 4600 or 7000 lbs 24" behind the 3pt lift arms. You should have the lift for the 14K rated GN unless you are very front heavy on the trailer. I have a 3pt GN adapter I made for my Cat II tractors and one for my Cat I tractors. Regardless of how HD the 3pt GN adapter is made, you need to consider 2 other aspects. I use mine mainly to move trailers that are empty or lightly loaded. If you are pulling hard on the GN, remember the majority of the pull is on the 3rd link and not the lift arms. Don't get too crazy and pull the attachment site of the 3rd link to the tractor apart. You are considering a loaded 14K lb trailer with bales. Drop the trailer tires into a ditch at some speed and the 3rd link may destroy the attachment to the tractor. A second point, is going up hills. With heavy weight on 3pt, the pull on the GN adapter can lift the front end of the tractor up fairly easily if you don't have a lot of front end weight. Is your Kubota big and heavy built enough for these tasks? Your M8540 weighs about 5500 lbs (IMHO a little light in the weight for 14K lb trailer) and I don't consider the Kubota's to have a HD 3rd link attachment point. If you have a FEL, the tractor will handle the weight of the GN much better. I did have my prior JD 5300 MFWD (loaded tires and FEL) which probably weighed 7500 lbs on a GN 12K dump trailer and had to be careful of what and where I was going. Lifting the trailer with 3 pt was never an issue and I had less lift capacity than your Kub. I currently use a 125 hp tractor weighing nearly 11K lbs and the trailer is not much of an issue except, I could bend or destroy the GN hitch if I pulled too hard.

I do think you will be ok with the m8540 using a FEL, 14K lb GN trailer and not getting too aggressive-provided your ground is not hilly.

There are dollys (attached to drawbar) available for GN trailers. However, pulling a trailer with dolly could be an issue if not enough tongue weight and going down hill or stopping too fast.

/ Tractor and Gooseneck Hitch #9  
Radman1 made some good points about the 3rd link. Considering that I would look into a dolly or just using your truck. Not really worth tearing up you tractor unless you are on fairly hard flat surface.

I would look into a dolly or even some old hay wagons.

Chris

/ Tractor and Gooseneck Hitch #10  
I have a New Holland TN75 and can over load it quik with my gooseneck behind it. One problem is brakes and the other thing is if going down a hill and something comes lose, think about were you are setting and were the hitch may go.