Battery Terminal Corrosion Prevention

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion Prevention #1  

weldingisfun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4500 4WD w/FEL, and Scotts S2048 lawn tractor
Just looking for the different things you all do to reduce or prevent your battery terminals from corroding. It just seems like I have to pull and clean batteries every six months or so. I have used multi-purpose grease, a red grease-like substance sold at O'Reilly's Auto made for batteries and even Permatex gasket cement.
Guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age. Tell what you do and how successful you have been.

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion Prevention #2  
clean tight connections sprayed with a paint designed for battery posts.:D

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion Prevention #3  
Give your battery a good wash down every time you clean the tractor or at least once a month if you never clean your tractor like some folks. You can also use a solution of water and baking soda to neutralize the acid which will help keep the corrosion down. Just mix a few tablespoons into a pint or so of water and pour it over the top. Dont rinse it off and it will continue to neutralize the acid for a while in case more spills out of the caps. I find that the maintenance free batteries dont corrode up as bad as the loose cap type and the terminals dont corrode as much on new batteries as it does on older ones.

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion Prevention #4  
just dab some grease on every now and then.

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion Prevention #7  
permitex has a battery post cleaner / neutrralizer, that was followed by a spray sealer corrosion protector (purple colour) I used to use the neutralizer but cant find it anymore.

All i use now is the protector.

Bowman (if you have an account) makes a good protector cleaner too.

Even vasolene will work. I use it when i dont have the actual designed product.

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion Prevention #8  
weld,
two items that have worked for me is, dielectric grease, It's quite different then regular grease. Clean off battery post and connections and rub on the dielectric grease over all terminals and post, I have never had to clean them again. Second best are the red and green felt washers which can be bought at Wally World, I used them on my old Oliver Super 55, never had to re-clean them again.
DevilDog

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion Prevention #9  
Oh,dielectric grease is used for electrical connections to stop corrosion of contacts.
DevilDog

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion Prevention #10  
grandpa taught me to use neversieze.....that's what i use.....i never have a problem.....

i'd say the dielectric grease would be my second choice, but i've never tired it...