"Off road" lights on truck

/ "Off road" lights on truck #1  

Tul01

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 5115M, 1928 and 1945 hand start John Deere D's,
I've tried the search function with not much luck. After what seems like my 70th close call with all the local deer in the middle of the night, I am considering running some of the "off road" style lights on the bumper of my truck. I've had those cheap 55w ones before and they didn't really make much difference. This would obviously be where it is very rural with no one around. I've also been toying with the idea of some HID style lights on our tractor and have been looking at some of these cheap kits on the net. Anyone got experience with some good long range lights, hopefully 4-5" not looking for 6" on the bumper or the cab. Thanks

Brent

/ "Off road" lights on truck
On re-reading my post, it sounds like I need to slow down, but I really don't drive all that crazy:D

Thanks

Brent

/ "Off road" lights on truck #3  
Not that its what you want but I changed some of my cars and trucks to the blue halogen lights and its a night and day difference. Really made a difference.

Chris

/ "Off road" lights on truck #4  
I ran KC daylighters on front of several of my last trucks they really cut threw the dark and really worked well out to several 100 yards. but they are 6" round.

/ "Off road" lights on truck #5  
Not that its what you want but I changed some of my cars and trucks to the blue halogen lights and its a night and day difference. Really made a difference.

Chris

shaking my head-- :( sure it makes a difference for you-- but for drivers like me with you coming at me, I personally HATE those kind of lights. it really hurts my eyes.:mad: No offense directed at you diamondpilot :eek:

/ "Off road" lights on truck #6  
I believe the blue colored lights are Zenon(?) and are about 5 times as bright as regular halogen bulbs. They come on a lot of high end European cars and they are annoying to look at. I think everyone should have the same brightness or no one should be able to have a much brighter lite.
Here is the wikipedia description of them:

HID (xenon) light sources

HID stands for high-intensity discharge, a technical term for the electric arc that produces the light. The high intensity of the arc comes from metallic salts that are vaporized within the arc chamber. These lamps are formally known as gas-discharge burners, and produce more light for a given level of power consumption than ordinary tungsten and tungsten-halogen bulbs. Because of the increased amounts of light available from HID burners relative to halogen bulbs, HID headlamps producing a given beam pattern can be made smaller than halogen headlamps producing a comparable beam pattern. Alternatively, the larger size can be retained, in which case the xenon headlamp can produce a more robust beam pattern.

Automotive HID lamps are commonly called 'xenon headlamps', though they are actually metal halide lamps that contain xenon gas. The xenon gas allows the lamps to produce minimally adequate light immediately upon powerup, and accelerates the lamps' run-up time. If argon were used instead, as is commonly done in street lights and other stationary metal halide lamp applications, it would take several minutes for the lamps to reach their full output. When viewed from an angle, the light from HID headlamps has a distinct bluish tint when compared with tungsten-filament headlamps. However, this is due to a color-shift related to the optical design of the headlight. In all current OE systems, the light projected on the roadway (which the driver sees) is 4300k color temperature, which is nearly identical to natural daylight. [21]
[edit] History

Xenon headlamps were introduced in 1991 as an option on the BMW 7-series. This first system used an unshielded, non-replaceable burner designated D1 a designation that would be recycled years later for a wholly different type of burner. The AC ballast was about the size of a building brick. The first American-made effort at HID headlamps was on the 1996-98 Lincoln Mark VIII, which used reflector headlamps with an unmasked, integral-ignitor burner made by Sylvania and designated Type 9500. This was the only system to operate on DC; reliability proved inferior to the AC systems. The Type 9500 system was not used on any other models, and was discontinued after Osram's takeover of Sylvania. All HID headlamps worldwide presently use the standardised AC-operated bulbs and ballasts.
[edit] Burner and ballast operation

HID headlamp bulbs do not run on low-voltage DC current, so they require a ballast with either an internal or external ignitor. The ignitor is integrated into the bulb in D1 and D3 systems, and is either a separate unit or integral with the electronic ballast in D2 and D4 systems. The ballast controls the current to the bulb. The ignition and ballast operation proceeds in three stages:

1. Ignition: a high voltage pulse is used to produce a spark in a manner similar to a spark plug which ionizes the Xenon gas, creating a conducting tunnel between the tungsten electrodes. In this tunnel, the electrical resistance is reduced and current flows between the electrodes.
2. Initial phase: the bulb is driven with controlled overload. Because the arc is operated at high power, the temperature in the capsule rises quickly. The metallic salts vaporize, and the arc is intensified and made spectrally more complete. The resistance between the electrodes also falls; the electronic ballast control gear registers this and automatically switches to continuous operation.
3. Continuous operation: all metal salts are in the vapor phase, the arc has attained its stable shape, and the luminous efficacy has attained its nominal value. The ballast now supplies stable electrical power so the arc will not flicker.

Stable operating voltage is 85 volts AC in D1 and D2 systems, 42 volts AC in D3 and D4 systems. The frequency of the square-wave alternating current is typically 400 hertz or higher.
[edit] Burner types

HID headlamp burners produce between 2,800 and 3,500 lumens from between 35 and 38 watts of electrical power, while halogen filament headlamp bulbs produce between 700 and 2,100 lumens from between 40 and 72 watts at 12.8 V.[22][23][24]

Current-production burner categories are D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, D3S, D3R, D4S, and D4R. The D stands for discharge, and the number is the type designator. The final letter describes the outer shield. The arc within an HID headlamp bulb generates considerable short-wave ultraviolet (UV) light, but none of it escapes the bulb, for a UV-absorbing hard glass shield is incorporated around the bulb's arc tube. This is important to prevent degradation of UV-sensitive components and materials in headlamps, such as polycarbonate lenses and reflector hardcoats. "S" burners D1S, D2S, D3S, and D4S have a plain glass shield and are primarily used in projector-type optics. "R" burners D1R, D2R, D3R, and D4R are designed for use in reflector-type headlamp optics. They have an opaque mask covering specific portions of the shield, which facilitates the optical creation of the light/dark boundary (cutoff) near the top of a low-beam light distribution. Automotive HID burners do emit considerable near-UV light, despite the shield.
[edit] Colour

The correlated color temperature of HID headlamp bulbs, at between 4100K and 4400K, is often described in marketing literature as being closer to the 6500K of sunlight compared with tungsten-halogen bulbs at 3000K to 3550K. Nevertheless, HID headlamps' light output is not similar to daylight. The spectral power distribution (SPD) of an automotive HID headlamp is discontinuous, while the SPD of a filament lamp, like that of the sun, is a continuous curve. Moreover, the color rendering index (CRI) of tungsten-halogen headlamps (≥0.98) is much closer than that of HID headlamps (~0.75) to standardized sunlight (1.00). Studies have shown no significant safety effect of this degree of CRI variation in headlighting.[25][26][27][28]
[edit] Advantages
[edit] Increased safety

The HID headlamp light sources (bulbs) offer substantially greater luminance and luminous flux than halogen bulbs about 3000 lumens and 90 mcd/m2 versus 1400 lumens and 30 mcd/m2. If the higher-output HID light source is used in a well-engineered headlamp optic, the driver gets more usable light. Studies have demonstrated drivers react faster and more accurately to roadway obstacles with good HID headlamps rather than halogen ones.[29] Hence, good HID headlamps contribute to driving safety.[30] The contrary argument is that HID headlamps can negatively impact the vision of oncoming traffic due to their high intensity and "flashing" effect due to the rapid transition between low and high illumination in the field of illumination, thus increasing the risk of a head-on collision between the HID-enabled vehicle and a blinded oncoming driver.
[edit] Efficacy and output

HID burners give higher efficacy (produce more light from less power) than halogen bulbs. The highest-intensity halogen headlamp bulbs, H9 and HIR1, produce 2100 to 2530 lumens from approximately 70 watts at 13.2 volts. A D2S HID burner produces 3200 lumens from approximately 42 watts during stable operation.[22] The reduced power consumption means less fuel consumption, with resultant less CO2 emission per vehicle fitted with HID lighting (1.3 g/km assuming that 30% of engine running time is with the lights on).
[edit] Longevity

The average service life of an HID lamp is 2000 hours, compared to between 450 and 1000 hours for a halogen lamp.[31]
[edit] Disadvantages
[edit] Blind oncoming traffic

Due to their high intensity and unsual colour temperature, they can blind or enrage oncoming drivers, thus decreasing road safety and increasing the risk of head-on collisions.
[edit] Glare

Vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users. In North America, ECE R48 does not apply and while lens cleaners and beam levellers are permitted, they are not required;[32] HID headlamps are markedly less prevalent in the US, where they have produced significant glare complaints.[33] Scientific study of headlamp glare has shown that for any given intensity level, the light from HID headlamps is 40% more glaring than the light from tungsten-halogen headlamps.[34]
[edit] Mercury content

HID headlamp bulb types D1R, D1S, D2R, D2S and 9500 contain the toxic heavy metal mercury. The disposal of mercury-containing vehicle parts is increasingly regulated throughout the world, for example under US EPA regulations. Newer HID bulb designs D3R, D3S, D4R, and D4S which are in production since 2004 contain no mercury,[35][36] but are not electrically or physically compatible with headlamps designed for previous bulb types.
[edit] Lack of backward-compatibility

The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different in size, shape, orientation, and luminosity distribution compared to the filament light source used in tungsten-halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. HID burners cannot effectively or safely be installed in optics designed to take filament bulbs; doing so results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries.[37]
[edit] Cost

HID headlamps are significantly more costly to produce, install, purchase, and repair. The extra cost of the HID lights may exceed the fuel cost savings through their reduced power consumption, though some of this cost disadvantage is offset by the longer lifespan of the HID burner relative to halogen bulbs.

Last edited:
   / "Off road" lights on truck #7  
shaking my head-- :( sure it makes a difference for you-- but for drivers like me with you coming at me, I personally HATE those kind of lights. it really hurts my eyes.:mad: No offense directed at you diamondpilot :eek:

I never like them either until my I bought my new Nissan Titan last May. Wow, what a world of difference over my Saturn and Ford Diesels. I would say 50% of the cars run them around here so sooner or later its going to take over. I tell you once you drive behind them you will love them.

Chris

/ "Off road" lights on truck #8  
Worked with a guy that drove home to the UP for the w/e. He put KC daylighters on his pu`s pushbar and were aimed to the sides. due this and the whistles and you would only have 60 closecalls :)

/ "Off road" lights on truck #10  
I run Piaa lights on my 4x4s. Seven on the dually, and four on my Wrangler. The wife runs two Piaa fog lights and two Hella Black Magic lights on her Wrangler. Piaas are nice (very similar to KCs). I had a problem with one of my lights on my Wrangler would fog up. I sent the light set to Piaa for exchange and they sent me a set of chrome ones instead of black like I had. Called them up and they sent out a new set and said to keep the chrome ones for all my troubles! A $200 light set they didn't want back. Pretty good customer service.

Mike