What work do on truck before selling or trading in?

/ What work do on truck before selling or trading in? #1  

bw_wis

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubuta B2630
Hi everybody,

I'm looking to buy 3/4 suburban to replace my 2001 Tahoe.

My Tahoe is in good shape and a strong runner, but it needs some work. It needs rear brakes, has a few broken bolts on exhaust manafold, needs tires (I do have the almost ones that came with it. Could swap.), minor damage in front passanger side from fender bender, and a hole in the passenger door someone put in it trying break in. And some other regular maintainence.

I figure about 3k+ to bring back up to speed. That does include the body work.

I looking for opnions on to how to maximise my trade in (would prefer to trade in and be done with it.) value with least amount of expense and work.

Or to put it another way. I prefer trade in as-is, but do you guys think that fixing anything would be worth while?

Thanks

Brian

/ What work do on truck before selling or trading in? #2  
Make it 'look' stock.

/ What work do on truck before selling or trading in? #3  
Hi everybody,

I figure about 3k+ to bring back up to speed. That does include the body work.

Brian

Vehicles are a very "hard sale" at the moment... Ask ANY of the world's auto-makers!

If you don't spend a few bucks to get your Tahoe straight - you'll get alot more than a $3,000 kick in the seat of the pants - from the dealer!!

AKfish

/ What work do on truck before selling or trading in? #4  
In vehicle trade-ins, I have found that you dont really get anything for your vehicle anyway. It might appear that you are on paper, but usually you are just giving the dealer your vehicle if you look at cash/financed price without trade in and compare with the real figures. I would try to sell it outright rather than trade it. See what the dealer is really giving you in $$$ and list it for a few bucks less than blue book when you do an honest appraisal of the condition. The only advantage to trade in is that the dealer can make it look like you made a down payment on paper so you dont have to put any money down on your new vehicle if that is what you want to do.
If you sell it outright, you would need to fix the visually unacceptable items, put on some tires that have good tread, fix the body work, put on new seat covers if they are worn out (do it yourself) detail the interior so it looks more visually appealing. You likely wont get your money back on all of the repairs, but without them you may not sell it at all.

/ What work do on truck before selling or trading in? #5  
Or to put it another way. I prefer trade in as-is, but do you guys think that fixing anything would be worth while?

I suggest going to kbb.com to see what it's worth. I accepted the standard options and guessed 90,000 miles and the trade in value ranged from $4,200 (Fair) to $5,425 (Excellent). The Private sale numbers are $5,950 and $7,150. It sounds like the Tahoe needs work to get up to Fair condition?

From kbb

"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.

"Poor" condition means that the vehicle has severe mechanical and/or cosmetic defects and is in poor running condition. The vehicle may have problems that cannot be readily fixed such as a damaged frame or a rusted-through body. A vehicle with a branded title (salvage, flood, etc.) or unsubstantiated mileage is considered "poor." A vehicle in poor condition may require an independent appraisal to determine its value. Kelley Blue Book does not attempt to report a value on a "poor" vehicle because the value of cars in this category varies greatly.

bw_wis said:
My Tahoe is in good shape and a strong runner, but it needs;
  • rear brakes
  • few broken bolts on exhaust manafold
  • tires
  • minor damage in front passanger side
  • a hole in the passenger door
  • some other regular maintainence.

If I am a dealer or a private sale buyer, the list of things it needs and the phrase 'good shape and strong runner' do not go together. Some of the items are wear items, like the brakes and tires, but the other items, particularly the last item, tell me this is a vehicle that was not well taken care of and I'm wondering what else is wrong that I can't see.

/ What work do on truck before selling or trading in? #6  
It seems like it may need quite a bit. I would do the things cosmetic and sell it. Let the new owner deal with the rest. Its not worth much to start with and to throw 3K at it does not make since. Sounds like it has served you well and you got your moneys worth so it really does not owe you much.

Chris

/ What work do on truck before selling or trading in?
Thanks for the replies.

I guess to clear. When I say good shape. I mean if I repair everything I'll still have a great vehicle both mechnicaly and in appearence. Only rust is surface only, on the underside. Engine, trany, frame, electrical all good too. It does have 130,000+ miles.

I need more towing capacity than my Tahoe offers. And when loaded at or near capacity. My largest trailer is a 10k enclosed compared to 8k capacity of my Tahoe. I feel need to slow down to protect my Tahoe and to be safe. If it wasn't a towing issue. I'd happily keep it many more years.

And before someone suggests a pickup. A SUV meets my needs much better than a pickup ever could.

My situation is very different from most of you. My job has me traveling year round. I literally live on the road. Vacation to me is going home. I have my tractor and many trailers because I often have a day or two do what I used to spend half a summer on. I live IN a city. I also have some equipment from my old business I rent out while I'm traveling. Having tractor and trailers helps greatly with storage, loading, and transportation of said equipment. Normally I would not even need a tractor. To me it is all about time.

Sometimes when I'll be in the Midwest. I'm usually in the location about a month. I bring down 10k enclosed and use it a shop. Tahoe doesn't like the long haul so much. Its mostly a drag issue on the highway, not a weight issue, those cases.

I'll admit I've let some of maintance go. That is not my normal way of doing things. When I'm home usually don't have time to be without wheels. The dealer which usually does my work has offered me loaner CARS, but I usually need a tow vechicle. Also that dealer 150 miles away. I'm yet to find a shop near me with a good enough rep.

Thank you every for your replies.
Please keep them coming.

Thanks

/ What work do on truck before selling or trading in? #8  
I agree that you should sell your Tahoe outright or trade it in as is. I don't think you would get back the 3 grand you put into repairs.

/ What work do on truck before selling or trading in? #9  
Thanks for the replies.

I guess to clear. When I say good shape. I mean if I repair everything I'll still have a great vehicle both mechnicaly and in appearence. Only rust is surface only, on the underside. Engine, trany, frame, electrical all good too. It does have 130,000+ miles.

I need more towing capacity than my Tahoe offers. And when loaded at or near capacity. My largest trailer is a 10k enclosed compared to 8k capacity of my Tahoe. I feel need to slow down to protect my Tahoe and to be safe. If it wasn't a towing issue. I'd happily keep it many more years.

And before someone suggests a pickup. A SUV meets my needs much better than a pickup ever could.

My situation is very different from most of you. My job has me traveling year round. I literally live on the road. Vacation to me is going home. I have my tractor and many trailers because I often have a day or two do what I used to spend half a summer on. I live IN a city. I also have some equipment from my old business I rent out while I'm traveling. Having tractor and trailers helps greatly with storage, loading, and transportation of said equipment. Normally I would not even need a tractor. To me it is all about time.

Sometimes when I'll be in the Midwest. I'm usually in the location about a month. I bring down 10k enclosed and use it a shop. Tahoe doesn't like the long haul so much. Its mostly a drag issue on the highway, not a weight issue, those cases.

I'll admit I've let some of maintance go. That is not my normal way of doing things. When I'm home usually don't have time to be without wheels. The dealer which usually does my work has offered me loaner CARS, but I usually need a tow vechicle. Also that dealer 150 miles away. I'm yet to find a shop near me with a good enough rep.

Thank you every for your replies.
Please keep them coming.

Thanks

Doesn't make sense to me to put $3K (or any $$ amount) in a vehicle with 130K miles just to get rid of it. Sell it as is privately,get what you can,and clear the decks. Put that $3K toward your next vehicle.

/ What work do on truck before selling or trading in? #10  
Just went through this. Dealer offered me $800 for the old SUV we had, I sold it in one day myself for $2500. Probably should have asked more. It needed lots of small things (brakes, shocks, a few oil leaks, CV boots, etc) but the engine and trans were sound, I was original owner. The guy who bought it was a mechanic who wanted it for his daughter. I told him what it needed and he didn't even blink, just handed me the money.

So, I wouldn't put one penny into it, advertise it privately at a competitive price and forget the dealer.