goose neck trailer hitch question

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #1  

leveller

Bronze Member
I just bought a "new to me" goose neck trailer. It is a 14K tandem axle, 18' long. I was looking for a 20 plus footer, but the price was right on this one. My question is, what are the pros and cons of using a ball(goose neck) hitch verses a 5th wheel style hitch? The trailer is set up with a 5th wheel pin, but that is easily changed. I have a B&W turn over ball hitch that I want to install on my truck, but my friend says to go with a fith wheel hitch instead. I like the idea of the ball, just flip it over and I have my empty truck bed back. I am wondering what you that have pulled a goose neck prefer, and why, Thanks, Greg

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #2  
5th wheel is easier to hook up, that is about it. The B&W is the top of the line. GN allows for more articulation of the trailer which is important on a equipment trailer where you will be possibly going off paved or unlevel surfaces. This keeps it from binding like a 5th wheel will if you get more than 15% off tilt.

Go with the GN.

Chris

/ goose neck trailer hitch question
Thanks, Chris. I am leaning towards the goose neck, mainly because I don't want a 5th wheel hitch taking up space in the box. You bring up some good points. Guess I have to go install my hitch! Greg

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #4  
I made this for my camper. You can buy the adjustable coupler and tubes. A little welding and bracing you will be good to go.

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 5,380
   / goose neck trailer hitch question #5  
I agree with the previous posters, 5th is great for paved roads and not the best choice for Ag use because of the limited freedom of movement between the towing and towed units.

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #6  
I've pulled both. I like the gooseneck better.

I hate having the 5th wheel rails in the bed even when the hitch is out.
The gooseneck still distributes the weight well.
It's still easy to hook up (i.e. you can see the ball and hitch from the cab while backing up.)
The gooseneck allows for better articulation on rough terrain.

Another bit of advice... If you haven't already, get a wiring plug in the bed of your truck. It beats the heck out of running a long cord to the plug on the bumper.

/ goose neck trailer hitch question
Thanks for all the advice. I just got my trailer home today, borrowed a friend's truck that had a 5th wheel hitch, to pick it up. The trailer had a 5th wheel pin on it, which was one of the reasons I was debating going to a 5th wheel hitch,but when I got there to pick up trailer, the owner gave me a ball hitch coupler! He said it had been on the trailer when he bought it, so I could have it too! As an added bonus, he left the 8000lb. electric winch,complete with a large battery, on the trailer because he did not want to take it off in the cold! The trailer needs some TLC, but all the lights and brakes worked. Some of the wiring needs to be tidied up, plus a few other minor things, but I am very happy for the most part. I was going to build myself a trailer, but for the $1800 I payed for this trailer, I could not have bought the parts to build one. Greg

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #8  
Sounds like you got a steal.

Chris

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #10  
What DanD78 did is exactly what I'm about to do for my 5th wheel. and Atwood makes a gooseneck coupler that I have on my 32 ft carhauler that I love so I bought one for my 5er and insted of having to get right under it like a gooseneck ball, you back into it like a 5th wheel and you have about the same side to side margin of error, which is nice with a crew cab with a huge bed tank that you can't see over.