Trailer Questions

/ Trailer Questions #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
I hope this is in the correct forum, so excuse me if it isn't /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

I'm looking at a car hauler type trailer.
The brand name is "better built".
It has dual axles with brakes on both axles.
Axles are rated at 3500# each.
Brakes are electric.
It has a battery operated breakaway feature that is supposed to activate the brakes if it leaves the tow vehicle(hope that never happens /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif )
It has a "bulldog coupler".
Ramps are self storing.

My questions are:
Does anyone have this brand name and do you like it?
Did anyone not like this brand name and why?
I've seen, but never used, "bulldog" couplers. Does anyone have experience with them and was that experience good or bad?

Any replies would realy be appreciated. Thanks.
You can private e-mail me if you do not want to post a response.

/ Trailer Questions #2  
I have a similar trailer, except that it is not a "better built" brand. Regarding the "bulldog coupler", I like mine a lot. Compared to other types, I find it easier to use and much easier to positivley lock. I'll never buy another trailer without one.

/ Trailer Questions #3  
I don't know about the "Better Built" brand of trailers either but I can vouch for the bulldog couplers. I have had several trailers with the conventional couplers and the bulldog ones are head and shoulders better IMHO.

TBone

/ Trailer Questions #4  
Ditto on the Bulldog coupler. Mine has one and I wouldn't have any other now.

/ Trailer Questions #5  
MossRoad,
Is the bulldog coupler the same as a pintle hitch? If not wht does it look like?
PJ

/ Trailer Questions
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.southwestwheel.com/trailparts/trailercouplers/trailercouplers.htm>Here's a link to what they look like compared to a "normal" trailer hitch</A>

Apparently, the sleeve pulls back and the hitch opens to slip around the ball, then the sleeve slips back to lock it around the ball.

/ Trailer Questions #7  
I have a bulldog coupler on my #7000 corn-pro car hauler. I have had the trailer for 2 years and have been very happy.

My trailer is 16' with a short dovetail. The ramps store by sliding in from the sides. This makes them a litte short sometimes for a long low car. works fine for my Jeep and L2500. Make sure that what you intend to haul will fit and the trailer will hold the load.

Most trailers that I have looked at are pretty much the same. Some have a slightly different feature or approach to things. Higher quality lighting, paint etc.

Hope this helps.

/ Trailer Questions
To all,
Thanks for the input. I bought the trailer mentioned above and it works fine. The bulldog coupler seems very sturdy and I like it.

Thanks again /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trailer Questions #9  
MossRoad,
What size trailer did you end up with? It is to just haul the tractor and a few attachments or to also haul gravel and mulch with the tractor on board?
PJ

/ Trailer Questions #10  
mr. mr before you make your final choice, look at the combination pintle/regular trailer hitch. we have been very successful by converting to that combination. also now with this type you can move anything on the farm/property. here is just one type: http://www.binkley.com/hollandhitch/products/coupling/pintlehooks.htm, there are many more.
over the many years we and others have lost a few trailers inclusive horses. this combination gives you more than one looking capability and lets you move basic ag trailers with chains around too. PH6 Pintle Hook with 2 Inch Removable Ball.
this cast PH6 pintle features a 2" removable ball and is rated at 12,000 lbs.
Price $67.95 is the one we use on all our p/u