How did you offload a shipped trailer?

/ How did you offload a shipped trailer? #1  

Aaron_D

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230, Bobcat 325 Excavator, John Deere X300
I've been shopping for trailers for the past few weeks and finally getting close to a decision. I am leaning on getting the 14k gooseneck from Kaufman Trailers. I was quoted $400 to have it shipped but they require a way to be able to off load the trailer when its delivered. I am looking for options or suggestions on how you handled it.

/ How did you offload a shipped trailer? #2  
If you can find an unloading ramp for the truck to pull up to, just back up to the trailer and drive it off. just make sure they load it backwrds on the trailer. I have done the same with impliments for the tractor. just drive up the ramp onto the trailer , hook thm up to the three poin and off I drive with the equipment.

/ How did you offload a shipped trailer? #3  
Loading ramp maybe,,,but what if it's the middle trailer on a 40' flatbed ?

I'm going to say forklift, or maybe a close location where a forklift would be available.

/ How did you offload a shipped trailer? #4  
Forklifts are very hard to take trailers off with. most fork lifts only have 4 ft tines.
We unload with a crane.
I have a forklift with 9' tines and will still use the crane!
You can go to your local Block company and see if they will pick it off for you with one of their block setting trucks..
Or check with a Precast septic tank maker they usually have cranes.
Also go to your local towing company and see if the have one of those hydraulic boom rotators:eek: be prepare to pay big dollars.

/ How did you offload a shipped trailer? #5  
Why not see idf you can find someone with a pickup truck to haul it for you. Find someone who has a load going down but needs something to bring back. There has to be someone out of work looking to make some money with their truck.

/ How did you offload a shipped trailer? #6  
A wrecker/tow truck is good way to go and is typically alot cheaper than a crane.

/ How did you offload a shipped trailer? #7  
We have done it with 2 FEL tractors and some chain. Just lift and drive out from under it.

A much better way to do it is going down the road to the local muffler shop. We get them in stacks of 4 from time to time with no wheels on the top 3. 4 short pieces of chain and the lift at the shop all the way up you just back the stack under, drop the lift, chain it up, lift it, drive out from under it and throw on the tires, them drop it and pull it out.

We pay $15 a pop cash for the off loading. Its the best way to go I have found.

Chris

/ How did you offload a shipped trailer? #8  
We have done it with 2 FEL tractors and some chain. Just lift and drive out from under it.

A much better way to do it is going down the road to the local muffler shop. We get them in stacks of 4 from time to time with no wheels on the top 3. 4 short pieces of chain and the lift at the shop all the way up you just back the stack under, drop the lift, chain it up, lift it, drive out from under it and throw on the tires, them drop it and pull it out.

We pay $15 a pop cash for the off loading. Its the best way to go I have found.

Chris

Two good ideas. I have done both of them. Unloaded large fertilizer machine with 2 FELs. Lift up, drive truck forward and set down.

Local implement dealers will unload stuff from truck with their large forklift or wheel loader with forks. They charge $25. Don't even need to be there. They will unload when the truck arrives at their place. Just need to tell the driver where to go.

A trailer dealer I know uses a large forklift. He huals in trailers on his semi. Will stack them 4-5 high. Uses a larger forklift with fork extensions to unload them. Picks them off the load, lowers them to near the ground, puts on the tires and then moves them where he needs them.

/ How did you offload a shipped trailer? #9  
What ever you use, keep in mind, your working with a driver working by the load,,,

Last edited:
   / How did you offload a shipped trailer?
Why not see idf you can find someone with a pickup truck to haul it for you. Find someone who has a load going down but needs something to bring back. There has to be someone out of work looking to make some money with their truck.

Thought about that, I wouldn't even care if that person put a load on it to make a few bucks extra. I wouldn't know how to deal with the lack of registration nor potential liability if any.

Thanks for all the ideas, this gives me some direction