How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I'm getting closer to finding the 1999-2003 3/4 or 1T PU I need to pull a 10K GN for hauling my parade tractors (heaviest is about 4500 lb).

I'll be test driving some candidates soon.
This will be the first PU I've bought totally for towing grunt.

Question: short of putting the candidate truck on a dyno or hooking up a loaded 10K GN trailer, what should I look for that will tell me if the truck will tow loads anywhere near the specs you find in the manuals or that you read about in forums like this one?

Any tricks of the trade that I should use during a test drive to get a handle on this question?

I'd hate to get stuck with an otherwise acceptable truck that has a worn out engine that's short on grunt.

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #2  
Simple, no tricks. IMO, You need an in-line 6 cylinder diesel.

There are no choices in that category IMO, just one, I don't have to mention any names, you know, everyone knows :)

I might not be so sure if you didn't say "bought totally for towing"
But since that's your main criteria, that's the answer.

Go with the 1 ton with duals, As far as the gearing goes, not sure what to recommend for just 10K towing, maybe others will help.
The lower gears will give the "GRUNT your looking for, but some may say that for that load, high gears would be better.

Good luck, JB

Last edited:
   / How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #3  
10K is not much weight for any diesel. Even a bow tie could handle that.:D

Since its just for towing I would want 4:10 gears and may settle for 3.73 gears but would not want the 3.55 or 3.54 gears Dodge put in a lot of trucks.

If it runs good and checks out by your trusted mechanic it will be up to the task. Many of us tow that type of load with gasers and some with 1/2 ton trucks. I don't even break out my diesels for towing until I get to 8K or more.

Chris

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #4  
Its easy to spot good trucks - look for the blue oval:)

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #5  
IF IT A FORD WITH AN AUTOMATIC. THE TORQUE CONVERTER IS BAD IF AFTER IT IS WARMED UP IDLEING IN PARK. IT SOUNDS LIKE SHAKING A CAN OF MARBELS. IT IS A 1500.00 REPAIR. IT HAPENED TO ME AT 110,000 MILES

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #6  
My 2000 SRW F-350 V-10 5 spd manual w/ 4.30 gears pulls my 14k rated dump trailer just fine. (10mpg loaded, 12-13 mpg empty)
Personally speaking you don't need a diesel to pull 10k. With the cost of diesel being higher than gasoline (at least in CA) there is no payback to buying one. Unless it's an ego thing... :)
When diesel was $0.30 a gallon cheaper than gas, it was about an 80k mile breakeven point.

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #7  
It sounds like you're not towing too much, and I don't have experience with many light trucks but what I do suggest is that if you're going to work it hard every day, get a slightly larger truck like a Topkick. It will stand up better over time.

@JB4310: Why dual tires? I've run both, and currently have single tires on my 1 ton. I find the single tires track better in mud and deep snow. Another bonus is that when you get back onto pavement, there is no need to check for rocks lodged between the tires; one of those letting loose is a brown trousers kind of event. ...and it's two fewer tires to check in the morning. :)

With little trucks like we're talking about there's no advantage, GVW wise, in running duallies; at least not where I live. You could run two lighter(cheaper) tires, I suppose.

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #8  
This is a thread that I've following with a measure of self-interest - might be interested in moving my 3/4 ton and getting a 1 ton rig, too.

One concern that I have is - chipped trucks! More than enough horror stories out there regarding abuse and real hard use with guys chipping everything with an accelerator pedal! :eek:

How do you know whether you're sittin' behind the wheel of a truck that's had the cr@p chipped otta it?

AKfish

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #9  
Ok I have to chime in. I would say that the in line six (Dodge) is the best power plant out there for the light duty diesels. Too bad it is in a Dodge :rolleyes:

The Ford 7.3 liter is legendary and is truely a half million mile motor. However, the tranny like a lot of others is not the best. If you change the fluids increase the size of the pump etc. and add a differant pan with air cooling fins etc. the tranny will last you a very long time. If you can find one with a manual tranny (like mine) your problems are over the whole package can't be stopped.

I bought my first Ford regular cab Diesel (manual) and ran it till I had too many kids and then sold her for a crew cab diesel 6.0 liter one ton single rear wheel and I am still running it. I do tow some large loads 15,000 + with out any trouble. My smaller load is my Kubota 3830 with FEL and implements approx 7,000 lbs + 1,500 pound trailer. Tow some hard grades with her and runs at around 60 mph with no hesitation. It has been a great truck. The only problem I have had was the clutch sensor went out for the cruise control but with an 80 dollar part it was fixed.

Oh yea I bought both trucks new and have not modified either one. They both pulled like crazy. Remember all diesels need to be warmed up and the turbo cooled down. Run synthetic in the new diesels since they run way too hot and can burn the oil easily. Maintenance is key! ;)

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #10  
You don't need a diesel to pull 10K#.
It's nice, but not a necessity.
You don't need a DRW truck to pull 10K#.
It's nice, but not a necessity.