Trailer Tipping

/ Trailer Tipping #1  

trek5900

I am some what new to loading and unloading a tractor on a trailer. In the process of loading and unloading the back of the trailer goes down; the front of the trailer goes up and the back of the truck attached to the trailer rises.

I have put blocks of wood under the rear of the rear of the trailer which is helpful.

My trailer is 18 foot with two removable ramps that are stored under the trailer when not in use.

How have you solved this problem?

Thanks for all the help I get on this form. It is a great form. I am so thankful you keep it civil and free of political rants. This is one of the best sites I visit.

/ Trailer Tipping #2  
Depending upon the heights involved - you might be able to use jack stands on a stable base. Another option would be to attach the jacks used for some RV's etc.

Ken

/ Trailer Tipping #3  
Best thing to do is to add 2 top wind tongue jacks to the rear corners of the trailer.

Something like this. You can get them for about $25 each and weld them on. They will swing up out of the way when not using.

I still just use a pair of jack stands that live in my tool box on the trailer but will get around to installing a set of these to my trailer someday.

Chris

Attachments

• 41006.gif
    41006.gif
    27.7 KB · Views: 178
   / Trailer Tipping #4  
I built rear stands out of 2x2x1/4" tubing, strap hinges and pins. When not in use they are pinned up underneath and parralel to the bottom rail of the trailer. When in use they swing down and the pin locks them in place. They are a couple of inches short of touching the ground to allow for use on difficult terrain. When the tractor applies its load they limit the travel of the back end to a couple of inches. They work great and cost about $10. Although $25 jacks would be faster to attach than mine were to manufacture.

/ Trailer Tipping #5  
Bruce I would love to see a picture of your stands.

Chris

/ Trailer Tipping
Chris and Bruce
Both of your ideas is what I was thinking. Since I don't have a welder and tool shop buying the jack stands and having them welded on would be my best option.
Plus, I am not always parked on level ground and the jack stand can be raised and lowered for loading and unloading according to conditions.
thanks for your help.

Dick

/ Trailer Tipping #7  
Chris and Bruce
Both of your ideas is what I was thinking. Since I don't have a welder and tool shop buying the jack stands and having them welded on would be my best option.
Plus, I am not always parked on level ground and the jack stand can be raised and lowered for loading and unloading according to conditions.
thanks for your help.

Dick
You can get the weld on type and I have also seen them bolt on. Any muffler shop or machine shop could weld it on but the guy at the muffler shop will probably do it for $10.00 if you have the area prepped and ready to weld.

Chris

/ Trailer Tipping #8  
I am some what new to loading and unloading a tractor on a trailer. In the process of loading and unloading the back of the trailer goes down; the front of the trailer goes up and the back of the truck attached to the trailer rises.

This is one reason I bought a tilt bed trailer when I needed to replace my old trailer. As mentioned you'll need to add a pair of jack stands to support the back end of the trailer preventing the problem.

/ Trailer Tipping #9  
Best thing to do is to add 2 top wind tongue jacks to the rear corners of the trailer.

Something like this. You can get them for about $25 each and weld them on. They will swing up out of the way when not using.

I still just use a pair of jack stands that live in my tool box on the trailer but will get around to installing a set of these to my trailer someday.

Chris

Pretty good idea...........