90 ford 1ton diesel

/ 90 ford 1ton diesel #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I'm looking for a used dually to haul stuff around for my farm, and came across a 90 ford f350 down the road.. could get it for 5.5K$ has about 90k miles onit.. and looks decent. a ding int he paint here or there.. but otherwise good looking for 20ys old.

I'm trying to figure out what diesel is in it.

I've heard there is a 5.9l ford diesel and to avoid it.. any ideas what diesels were available with this model. ( door tag shows 7/90 as manufacture date ). has a tekonsh brake controller installed.

Opinions?

Saw a 99 chevy dually as well.. would take 7500$ on it.. looks good.. though I'm a tad turned off by gm products. one question.. I know my 2000 yukon had an option under the dash to plug in that lil factory harness to add a brake controller... any idea if the 99's do as well? oh yeah.. 89k miles

thanks for opinions.

/ 90 ford 1ton diesel #2  
I think it is either a 6.9L diesel or a 7.3L diesel I am almost certain it is a 7.3L normally aspirated indirect injected. I think Ford upgraded to the 7.3L in 1988 or thereabout.

/ 90 ford 1ton diesel #3  
Soundguy,

The F350 would have the IH/Navistar 7.3L, naturally aspirated, indirect injection diesel. Keep in mind this is a totally different animal than the 7.3L Powerstroke. The engine to avoid was the earlier 6.9L IDI diesel, but even that wasn't nearly as bad as the old GM 6.2's. I've owned both, and had much more issues with rust than anything engine related.

The 7.3L was a good engine for its day, fairly powerfull (not by todays standards) and pretty reliable. The 7.3L has weak spot though. It has thin cylinder walls that are prone to severe cavitation and electrolosis. Ford offered a coolant additive that minimizes the cavitation issues, but if left unchecked, the cylinder walls could pit so badly that the coolant would leak through.

Is the GM a diesel as well? If so, I'd go with the 20 year old Ford. GM had some very big issues with the 6.5L diesel from 97 - 2000, as the blocks were poorly cast and had crack prone oil squirters.

/ 90 ford 1ton diesel #4  
Saw a 99 chevy dually as well.. would take 7500$ on it.. looks good.. though I'm a tad turned off by gm products. one question.. I know my 2000 yukon had an option under the dash to plug in that lil factory harness to add a brake controller... any idea if the 99's do as well? oh yeah.. 89k miles

I'm assuming that is the older body style as the 2500 & 3500 didn't get the newer body style until 2000. If that is true, it does not have the plug in.

/ 90 ford 1ton diesel #5  
7.3 liter IDI. The earlier version is 6.9 liters. I've had several of each and both are good engines. I currently drive a '92 dually w/7.3. They are easy to work on if necessary and parts are cheap. I'm not sure what 5.9l you are talking about but Ford did use a New Holland 6.6l in medium duty trucks. There was a larger version at 8.1L, I think. I had a 6.6L in an F600 and liked it very much.

/ 90 ford 1ton diesel #6  
I think it is either a 6.9L diesel or a 7.3L diesel I am almost certain it is a 7.3L normally aspirated indirect injected. I think Ford upgraded to the 7.3L in 1988 or thereabout.

/ 90 ford 1ton diesel #7  
I'm looking for a used dually to haul stuff around for my farm, and came across a 90 ford f350 down the road.. could get it for 5.5K$ has about 90k miles onit.. and looks decent. a ding int he paint here or there.. but otherwise good looking for 20ys old.

I'm trying to figure out what diesel is in it.

I've heard there is a 5.9l ford diesel and to avoid it.. any ideas what diesels were available with this model. ( door tag shows 7/90 as manufacture date ). has a tekonsh brake controller installed.

Opinions?

thanks for opinions.

This may help

Ford F-Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

/ 90 ford 1ton diesel #8  

I used to drive a 1988 F350 and it was the first year for the 7.3 NA. Great engine, not a powerhouse compared to a PSD or Duramax.

/ 90 ford 1ton diesel
I used to drive a 1988 F350 and it was the first year for the 7.3 NA. Great engine, not a powerhouse compared to a PSD or Duramax.

Thanks for the info guys.

So I can wrap my head around this.. how is that 7.3 NA engine compaired to say.. a 6.0 PSD.. like I have in my f250?

While I'm looking for for tow capacity and wheel base and gvw.. I'm also still concerned with power.. I don't want to drop power, as I feel the 6.0psd is as low as I'd want to go. I make a few trips a year out of state to fetch tractors, plus in state hauling... I used my 5.9l dodge gasser for a while.. but it just don't tote the load like my f250 6.0psd does..

to the poster about gm.. yes.. does perhaps look like the older metal. so if no plug in.. to add a controller I'm gonna have to tap the brake line then run all the wires myself I guess. I see it has a 7 pin plug for a 5th wheel or goose neck.. but I see no controller... the 90 ford I looked at had a 7 pin as well.. and a tekonsh controller.. etc. ( not that adding a controller is a big deal.. just keeping it all in mind )

soundguy

/ 90 ford 1ton diesel #10  
That NA 7.3 is nothing like your 6.0, you would be sorely dissapointed if your wanting the same as the 6.0.
Your gonna have to go to a later turbo 7.3 to get close to the output of the 6.0.