recommendations/links for diesel truck -used

/ recommendations/links for diesel truck -used #11  
Newbury thanks for asking the question. I have also been considering buying a truck for occasional heavy towing and was kind of getting the same feeling :( I was reading on one forum about problems with the Ford 6.0L diesel and guys were talking about how it was easier to pull the cab off to get to the engine etc :eek: Granted this was a 'tuner' forum and they were all probably running the ragged edge on their engines.

/ recommendations/links for diesel truck -used #12  
Newbury thanks for asking the question. I have also been considering buying a truck for occasional heavy towing and was kind of getting the same feeling :( I was reading on one forum about problems with the Ford 6.0L diesel and guys were talking about how it was easier to pull the cab off to get to the engine etc :eek: Granted this was a 'tuner' forum and they were all probably running the ragged edge on their engines.

Same thing for the Dmax. It takes something like 16 man hours to change a engine on either truck.

I own 2 6.0's and never had a wrench on either.

Chris

/ recommendations/links for diesel truck -used #13  
The most common reason why the grid heater isn't working properly is because the intake air temperature sensor has gone bad. Replace it and I bet it will work fine.
The selenoid style relays will fail too. Other than replacing those once, my grid heater never failed me during the nine northern winters I had it in.

Based on info from the Dodge forums, I purchased replacements for about fourteen and change each from a national electronic component source.

Finding alternate sources is an important part of ownership regardless of make. The result might be monetary or much improved performance (not necessarily in terms of speed, etc).

/ recommendations/links for diesel truck -used #14  
I love my Dodge/Cummins.

There is though, a sweet '04 Ford crew cab dually diesel at the lot down the road from my house, for $14k. Looks nice! Would definitely haul you parade tractors(I miss my Farmall...). Only about 2 hours from you...

Good advice.

I've been looking for a 3/4T PU for nearly a year

/ recommendations/links for diesel truck -used #15  
I think you could probably buy any of the big 3 and be just fine. I think alot of the "problems" are people talking. I personally had a 95 Dodge gas and have a 2004 diesel. The 95 had over 100K without any serious issues and the problem tranny of the Dodgea never gave me any issues. I have a manual in my 04 but because I wanted a manual not because I was worried about the auto. I have put 95K on my 04 Dodge and not had any major issues.

There is a magazine called Diesel Power which has been running articles on how to fix common issueslike the 6.0 Ford etc. Good luck in your search.