Towing with OD off.

/ Towing with OD off. #31  
i have a 2009 ford f150 with the 6 speed tow haul transmision. i use it a few times for towing, it takes some getting use to. when you engage tow haul it locks out overdrive to give more RPMs for pulling power. plus if you tap the brakes it down shifts and stays in that lower gear til you hit the gas, works very well on icey roads or back roads where you don't want to ride the brake. i had a 2002 F250 with the manual 6 speed before this truck, i'd choose the auto over the manual, just a slick trans in my oppinion. i get great fuel milage too, about 21 mpg. and with a 5.4 V8 thats not bad.

That down shift when you tap the brakes twice will scare the heck out of you the first time (at least it did me). By the way I have been pleased how well my 09 F150 tows.

/ Towing with OD off. #32  
I wonder if this was the reason I seen overheating issues of the Dmax I had? I was always led to believe it was the air intake that was the issue and they redesigned it the next year but they also went to the 6 speed Ally. I was towing 12,000# and 15,600# with it.

Chris
The worse thing for the Allison is when you are sitting in traffic on 90ー day in D. They will buildup heat real fast. If you are going to have to sit, put it in P.

/ Towing with OD off. #33  
The worse thing for the Allison is when you are sitting in traffic on 90ー day in D. They will buildup heat real fast. If you are going to have to sit, put it in P.

I never had that issue. I was pulling at 70 mph on I 75 though the Smokies on a 85-90 deg day. Not a issue anymore because I dumped the truck. My current trucks have no issues.

Chris

/ Towing with OD off. #34  
Back in 1996 I ordered a brand new chevy half ton pickup, thought it would be best getting 3/4 ton but salesman said 1/2 ton with 373 rear end would be good for towing 8000 pound trailer,he also said you could tow in overdrive with the 1996 ,I told him I always thought that was not good,so I,should have listioned to myself ,well I went to the Florida Keys with trailer in tow for vacation ,did some scuba diving,fishing,driving back was in southern Illinois trans blew ,3000 miles,towed to chevy dealer in Bloomington ,was parked at dealer for 4 days before they agread to replace trans,so lesson learned not to listion to one persons advice on something technical,and salesman selling a half ton instead of 3/4 ton,use overdrive onley for light loads in chevy 1/2 ton:mad:

/ Towing with OD off. #35  
Back in 1996 I ordered a brand new chevy half ton pickup, thought it would be best getting 3/4 ton but salesman said 1/2 ton with 373 rear end would be good for towing 8000 pound trailer,he also said you could tow in overdrive with the 1996 ,I told him I always thought that was not good,so I,should have listioned to myself ,well I went to the Florida Keys with trailer in tow for vacation ,did some scuba diving,fishing,driving back was in southern Illinois trans blew ,3000 miles,towed to chevy dealer in Bloomington ,was parked at dealer for 4 days before they agread to replace trans,so lesson learned not to listion to one persons advice on something technical,and salesman selling a half ton instead of 3/4 ton,use overdrive onley for light loads in chevy 1/2 ton:mad:

If you had a 700R4 tranny, it was common for those to blow. Got one free and had to buy a reman the second time in a Chevy Van 20. With no trailer towing.

/ Towing with OD off. #36  
I never had that issue. I was pulling at 70 mph on I 75 though the Smokies on a 85-90 deg day. Not a issue anymore because I dumped the truck. My current trucks have no issues.

Chris
Out on the Interstates at highway speeds, it isn't a problem. Only in town stop and go, as the pump builds up a lot of heat.

/ Towing with OD off. #37  
It blew on the highway , on level flatland 3000 miles on the clock ,700r4,is not a trans that should be in a truck,3/4 ton has better trans:mad:

/ Towing with OD off. #38  
Update on this trip north. At 14K GCW the truck stayed most of the time in fifth gear (OD) even on the VA 5% grade.at 65+MPH.

/ Towing with OD off. #39  
Update on this trip north. At 14K GCW the truck stayed most of the time in fifth gear (OD) even on the VA 5% grade.at 65+MPH.

So you were pulling 7K or so? What type of mpg do you get with the 4:10's and the 8.1 Big Block?

Chris