truck wiring proctector for trailer

/ truck wiring proctector for trailer #1  

tommu56

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota bx23
I have a 2006 2500 ram ctd mega cab and the trailer turn/brakes stopped working there isn't any fuses for them just some electronic fuses in the fcm module to shut down if it go's over 15 amps and has to be reset by dealer (read this on line).

Does any know of a good after market protector or isolator that I can add to prevent it from happening again?

tom

/ truck wiring proctector for trailer #2  
I have a 2006 2500 ram ctd mega cab and the trailer turn/brakes stopped working there isn't any fuses for them just some electronic fuses in the fcm module to shut down if it go's over 15 amps and has to be reset by dealer (read this on line).

Does any know of a good after market protector or isolator that I can add to prevent it from happening again?

tom

You could install smaller fuses just prior to the FCM in the triler light wiring. Something like 10 amps.

My question is I tow about 75 to 100 different trailers with 3 different trucks in my business each year. I have been doing so for 15 plus years and have only had the trailer light/trailer wiring cause a issue maybe 5 times to the point it would blow a fuse in the truck. That is about 1,500 trailer operations and 5 issues. I thing you have a bigger problem than the truck. There has to be a issue with the trailer.

If its just there is so many lights on the trailer you are near a 15 amp load you will always have this issue. The only fix is to lessen the load or buy a new truck that does not have this protection feature. I assume buying a new truck is not a option so you will probably have to change all the lights to LED's. They pull much less power.

Chris

Last edited:
   / truck wiring proctector for trailer
Cris it has a separate circuit for the trailer lights the truck lights are fine there is a fuse for the parking lights I rang out all the other fuses in the fuse block they are all good.
Then I hopped on line and found they have this better (?) protection system built in.

I did see the drawtight isolaton module but it is limited to 5 amps per circuit.

I tow all sorts of odd stuff including my wife's wrangler and I'll will be adding fuses after I get it fixed.

tom