Weight Distribution Hitches

/ Weight Distribution Hitches
Ok I'm going to ask a dumb question. I have an 09 F150 with a tow rating of about 10,000 lbs and brake controller. I tow about 6000 lbs. If I am not mistaken the manual says to use a WD hitch with loads of more than 5000 lbs. My truck tows the load fine with no WD hitch and does not make the truck squat excessively. Why would I need a WD hitch? I have never used a WD hitch.

Buck, Probably for the same reason that I recently purchased one. Your "load carrying" hitch is rated at 5k gross trailer weight max. A weight distribution hitch allows you to "legally and safely" tow a trailer exceeding that limit. In your case (and mine also) 6k gross trailer weight. I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2k lb. trailer with a 4k lb. load for a total of 6k lbs. which is 1k lbs. over the hitch rating without weight distribution. With weight distribution I can legally and safely pull that load. Can you get away without it? Probably but personally, I'm going to go by the book and as others have stated, you will obtain a nice level ride and better performance from your vehicle and trailer. Jim

/ Weight Distribution Hitches #12  
A WD hitch transfers much of the trailer weight onto the front axle which improves steering and braking. Much like if you have ever had something very heavy on your 3PH without a loader or ballast on the front of your tractor you have noticed the steering unresponsive. It is also true with loaded trailers and truck steering.

/ Weight Distribution Hitches #13  
The WD hitch may make life much easier and will distribute the weight as required. Probably helps in braking too.:D

/ Weight Distribution Hitches #14  
buck12,
Some of the weight control hitches have what Reese calls friction control, this works like a sway damping device. If you ever had the experience of towing on super highways and had am 18 wheeler pass you, did you feel the suction as he's going by?Weight Distribution Hitches almost eliminate this and allows for an even plane from trailer and truck. Hope this helps.
DevilDog

/ Weight Distribution Hitches #16  
I have two of these hitches, one to go with each trailer. Your truck's tow rating has nothing to do with it. You will find that your OEM hitch prohibits you from towing very much weight at all without using a W/D hitch setup. I do NOT use a friction sway control since if you properly set up your trailers you won't need one.

All the W/D hitches do is distribute the TONGUE weight between your two truck axles. They are quite a clever device.

Properly distributing the tongue weight will keep your truck level, keep your front wheels safely planted on the ground where steering is better, and will also reduce tortoising while going down the highway.

I use these hitches on my F350 which is more than capable of carrying the weight on the ball without the W/D system. By the book means you must use the W/D system on all but the lightest trailers unless you replace your hitch with a monster.

You won't see W/D on a dumptruck.

/ Weight Distribution Hitches #17  
I guess its like a brake controller. I didn't know how much I needed until I had it. How much extra trouble (time) is the WD hitch each time you hook up to a trailer.

/ Weight Distribution Hitches #18  
I learned, with my first travel trailer, that even if your truck can handle the tongue weight with the weight distributing hitch, rough roads, dips, and humps in the road will be considerably smoothed out wit the WD lift bars. Personally, I've only used a WD hitch with a couple of travel trailers, so I've had one on a 1971 3/4 ton Chevy pickup, a 1970 Olds 88 sedan, and a 1972 Chrysler station wagon. But I sure wouldn't hesitate to use one for a trailer hauling a tractor or other heavy load.

/ Weight Distribution Hitches #19  
How much extra trouble (time) is the WD hitch each time you hook up to a trailer.

You have to hook up on to the ball, connect your wiring harness,
and safety chains just like any hitch. The extra step is the torsion
bars (in my case) and they only take a minute or 2 extra. I also have
a sway control, but again, only an extra minute or 2. It's really
not much of a problem. Initial setup is different, as it can take some
time to get everything set for that particular truck and trailer.

/ Weight Distribution Hitches #20  
I have to use a WD setup with our camper. It is too much weight behind my half ton not to. It is a '36 Jayco 32BHDS. It is almost 10k loaded. The other day using my trailer mover on my little NH and tried to pick the tongue up. It wouldn't do it. Well it raised it about 1/2" just enough to take the weight off the blocks under the tongue, but the relieve valve was immediately tripped.

I also have a lighter set of bars that I use with my 16+2 utility trailer. Haven't hauled the tractor yet with it. But I've had some decent loads on it with them and they work fine. I've even started using them on it when running empty/light. Just keeps it settled down a little bit better and stops the porpousing - especially when I pull it behind our Suburban with the lighter coil springs.