Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

Default Re: Studebaker Trucks?

Bama,

That's an "original" NAPCO 4WD conversion. It was before my time, but it is my understanding that, prior to about 1960, most manufacturers didn't make factory 4x4 trucks. Therefore, several aftermarket companies, like NAPCO and Marmon Harrington, did conversions on brand new vehicles that were then sold through the dealers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -58-studebaker-napco-left-rear  
    Runner

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

That makes sense. In about 1960 I saw a 4x4 '47 Ford coupe at Tahoe. I was told it was a Marmon Harrington conversion.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    1955 V8? 255 ci? Then it's a SBC with a little less stroke(or bore) than a 265. Long ago that Studebaker V8 engine was a popular conversion for Willys Wagons because it bolted right in with no adapters needed. I had one.

And the pickups were built more solid than most. I wouldn't mind putting one in use as a work or farm truck.

I think all the running gear is standard generic stuff. Of course the down side is finding glass, trim, etc that is unique to that model. I would research that aspect first. I expect you will find a collector's club on the internet.
    Never heard that before, as far as I know the sbc was the first ohv v8 ever mass produced, which was a 265 cu in. in the 1955 bel air (no oil filter). I've never heard of them being related to studebaker, or ever making a 255 cu in sbc.
    There are 10 different cu in. sbc's that I know of (yes I know them by heart)
    I'm not saying you're wrong or that it can't be, I've just never heard of it and I've studied this stuff
    “History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.” Douglas MacArthur
    "The obligation of every human being to God, is higher than his duty to country, and not even a majority in society has the legitimate right to interfere with a man's allegiance to him."James Madison

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

To the OP,
    that sounds like a neat project, it would be like money in the bank. You won't loose money on a truck like that, it will only go up in value as the yrs. go by.
    “History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.” Douglas MacArthur
    "The obligation of every human being to God, is higher than his duty to country, and not even a majority in society has the legitimate right to interfere with a man's allegiance to him."James Madison

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

I could be wrong but what I was told, by a shop who had rebuilt a few, was that the Studebaker V8 was made under contract by GM for them and was nearly the same as a 265 with thicker cylinder walls (or maybe shorter stroke). I think they had the ball-based rockers for example which was one clue since I think that was the first year GM used that design rockers. The bell housings must have been different since Studebaker bolted up to Jeep transmissions. They sure looked similar. I have owned both, but that was a long time ago. Yep, neither had an integral oil filter. Studebaker's 289 V8 was based on that same 255 block.

The 255 in my Willys Wagon badly needed an overdrive with its real short final gear ratios, 4.27 as I remember. With such a short stroke it wasn't hurting anything but the screaming got tiring on highway trips.

$2k is peanuts if its in decent shape.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT440

I am pretty sure the Studebaker V8 came along way before the Small block chevy, and it was a kind of a copy of the Cadillac V8, which was the first V8 ohv engine. Don't quote me on that though.
    Bobcat CT440, 4x4, hydro, loader, with a heavy, old, rusty, Brown Co. bush-hog.

Chevrolet came out with the V8 in 1955. I'm not sure about Studebaker, but according to one website, the trucks had a 232 cu. in. V8 available in 1954.
    Bird

Tractor
    Montana 4940C, FEL, Quick change 3 point factory hitch, pallet forks, grapple, 50 gal tank sprayer, Bush Hog PHD

Showing my age here, but back in the 50's and 60's my uncle owned a Studebacker dealership in Canada, just North of Toronto as well as a GM and Chrysler dealership as well.... my rich uncle. When I was visiting with him back then he told me that the Studebacker trucks were really well built. He also told me that the running gear was actually built for them by GM and that the parts for the Studebacker were interchangeable with the GM.

So, for what it's worth, if the engine is basically in good shape then most parts for the running gear should be available.......

I'd grab the truck in heart beat.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST

That's a find of the century! Call me if you decide not to take it!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast