Studebaker Trucks?

/ Studebaker Trucks? #1  

Bama67

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 5520H
Hi all,

I want to start out by saying that I need another project like I need a hole in the head. But I have the opportunity to buy a old Studebaker truck.

My grandaddy knows that I love old iron as I already have a 67 Chevelle and a 73 K5 that I am currently working on. So he called me out of the blue and asked me if I would want a 55 Studebaker pickup. He is a 84 years old and still buys and fixes cars, but he only deals with newer stuff. He said he didn't want it, he is to old to be riding in a old truck when he could be riding a new Buick. lol. But a guy he grew up with called him up and asked him to take his truck. It is "supposedly, Pawpaw hasn't seen it" almost fully restored, all it basically needs is a windsheild and paint, body work is already done. His friend got it about 8-9 years ago when another friend of his was frame off restoring it and died during the build. He had even sent the bed off to be restored in Memphis. And then the widow sold it to him. It has been sitting in his shed ever since and he hasn't done anything to it other than go turn it over ever month or so to keep the motor up. It is a original V8 with overdrive truck, one of the first ones you could get a V8 in. My grandaddy told his buddy that he didn't want to deal with it, but I might. His friend doesn't want it to go to just anybody. He was gonna give it to my grandad, but he would sell it to me for $2,000.

The thing is, I know they are pretty rare, heck, I have never even seen one. And it doesn't sound to need much at all. The only thing is, is that parts are VERY hard to come by. There are NO LMC or Year One catalogs for Studebaker trucks. ha-ha. The truck is about 500 miles away, so I can't just hop in and drive right over and check it out. I would like to get it, especially if it is what he says it is, but I don't know if it is gonna need small things like rubber moldings and trim and such that would cost a fortune. And I don't have money to burn. I also would hate to buy it, then turn around and sell it and make money off of it, it seems like the wrong thing to do since it means so much to the old guy that has it.

Sorry for the long post. What would you guys do? Don't have a 55 Studebaker pickup windshield lying around do ya? :laughing:

Do any of ya'll have one, or owned one? General comments welcomed as I don't know that much about them.

/ Studebaker Trucks? #2  
If he was going to give it to your grand dad...too bad he didn't just take it and then give it to you...that would have saved you $2,000. The 500 mile drive is the problem and then getting it back unless you have a trailer and you are right about the parts on some of the old vehicles...they can be expensive if you can even find them.

/ Studebaker Trucks?
If he was going to give it to your grand dad...too bad he didn't just take it and then give it to you...that would have saved you $2,000. The 500 mile drive is the problem and then getting it back unless you have a trailer and you are right about the parts on some of the old vehicles...they can be expensive if you can even find them.

Trailering it won't be a problem, I got a rig that will handle it with no trouble. I am definately going to look at it though. The truck is in North Louisiana, and I am currently offshore LA on an oil rig, so I am going to swing up there and take a look at it since I am already this way. Oh, and I brought the trailer with me, just in case. :D

/ Studebaker Trucks? #4  
A 1955 Studebaker pickup? In 1954, my dad was driving a Studebaker one ton dually as his company vehicle in Healdton, OK. I'm not sure what year model it was, but it was the oldest truck the shop had at the time.:D They were good trucks, but as you said, parts could be a real problem.

/ Studebaker Trucks? #5  
I'd grab it. I have drooled over this one for years:

Attachments

• 58 Studebaker Napco Right Front.jpg
    58 Studebaker Napco Right Front.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 5,072
   / Studebaker Trucks? #6  
1955 V8? 255 ci? Then it's a SBC with a little less stroke(or bore) than a 265. Long ago that Studebaker V8 engine was a popular conversion for Willys Wagons because it bolted right in with no adapters needed. I had one.

And the pickups were built more solid than most. I wouldn't mind putting one in use as a work or farm truck.

I think all the running gear is standard generic stuff. Of course the down side is finding glass, trim, etc that is unique to that model. I would research that aspect first. I expect you will find a collector's club on the internet.

/ Studebaker Trucks? #7  
Hi all,

I want to start out by saying that I need another project like I need a hole in the head. But I have the opportunity to buy a old Studebaker truck.

My grandaddy knows that I love old iron as I already have a 67 Chevelle and a 73 K5 that I am currently working on. So he called me out of the blue and asked me if I would want a 55 Studebaker pickup. He is a 84 years old and still buys and fixes cars, but he only deals with newer stuff. He said he didn't want it, he is to old to be riding in a old truck when he could be riding a new Buick. lol. But a guy he grew up with called him up and asked him to take his truck. It is "supposedly, Pawpaw hasn't seen it" almost fully restored, all it basically needs is a windsheild and paint, body work is already done. His friend got it about 8-9 years ago when another friend of his was frame off restoring it and died during the build. He had even sent the bed off to be restored in Memphis. And then the widow sold it to him. It has been sitting in his shed ever since and he hasn't done anything to it other than go turn it over ever month or so to keep the motor up. It is a original V8 with overdrive truck, one of the first ones you could get a V8 in. My grandaddy told his buddy that he didn't want to deal with it, but I might. His friend doesn't want it to go to just anybody. He was gonna give it to my grandad, but he would sell it to me for $2,000.

The thing is, I know they are pretty rare, heck, I have never even seen one. And it doesn't sound to need much at all. The only thing is, is that parts are VERY hard to come by. There are NO LMC or Year One catalogs for Studebaker trucks. ha-ha. The truck is about 500 miles away, so I can't just hop in and drive right over and check it out. I would like to get it, especially if it is what he says it is, but I don't know if it is gonna need small things like rubber moldings and trim and such that would cost a fortune. And I don't have money to burn. I also would hate to buy it, then turn around and sell it and make money off of it, it seems like the wrong thing to do since it means so much to the old guy that has it.

Sorry for the long post. What would you guys do? Don't have a 55 Studebaker pickup windshield lying around do ya? :laughing:

Do any of ya'll have one, or owned one? General comments welcomed as I don't know that much about them.

Since you don't want to incur large expense after the purchase, I'd say pass on this one. Unless you have the scratch to do the maintenance/repair on these old pieces of iron, you're better off keeping your money in your pocket.

I restore old tractors. Last year I bought a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor, fairly rare old piece of iron, straight sheet metal, good rubber, not running, $1300. So far I've sunk $1600 in a complete engine rebuild and need a new water pump and generator (or 6V alternator). I'll probably have $4500 invested by the time I'm finished with the restoration.

Getting and keeping old iron running can be spendy.

/ Studebaker Trucks?
That is a good looking truck. Is that an original 4x4? Or did they put it on a later model chassis.

I actually not that worried, if it is what the old man says it is, I think I would be a fool to turn it down at $2,000. I guess I will just have to look at it and see.

I understand fully about costs to restore. I am currently restoring a full convertible 73 Blazer. And after that is my 67 Chevelle. So I know what to look out for.

But I also heard those Studebaker engines were some big chunks of steel and can take alot of boring and can make pretty good power and are known to be bulletproof. I like the idea of using the original engine and try to make some solid power out of it, instead of doing like everybody else and dropping in a 350 chevy. Just to be different I guess.

/ Studebaker Trucks? #9  
Hi all,

Studebakerparts.com has a windshield for 54-64 R and C style cabs for under 3 bills.

/ Studebaker Trucks? #10  
Don't hesitate to get that truck. There's more parts support out there than you might think. Take a subscription to Hemmings Classic Car and you'll see plenty of Studes. If you get it please consider keeping it original.