A different weight distribution question

/ A different weight distribution question #1  

wrflt

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kioti DK40SE w/ KL401 Loader
Considering a WDH but am confused about one thing. Without the WDH, I have to use a 2" drop down receiver to level the trailer. Upon looking at all the distribution hitches, they appear to be above level with the receiver. My question is; does the adjustment of the WDH even everything out? I know there are all kinds of variables concerning the tow vehicles rated capacity,etc, but I'm just confused as to how the WDH works, since I can readily see that it has no way to drop it below the receiver. As you have alread deduced, I have never used one, and am quite sure I need it. I know you guys will set me straight, and am impatiently waiting.

/ A different weight distribution question #2  
I use Timbren overloads and pull a 12' dump and a 16' equipment trailer, both loaded pretty good. Pulled the 12' dump with a Thomas skid steer all the way from the east coast at 70 MPH and scarcely knew it was there. Only indicator was the MPG's down a bit. Stability was fine, I take them off in the winter to make the ride a little smoother, a little stiff when empty. This is on a 3/4 ton Dodge.

/ A different weight distribution question #3  
Everyone I have ever seen is adjustable. Remove two bolts and move the "head" where you want it and reinstall the bolts. The first time you set one up takes about 1 to 2 hours. After the initial set up you can hook one up, tension the bars and install sway control in twenty minutes or less.

A couple different pics may help. Notice the height adjustment bolts. Weight distributing hitches, equalizer hitches by Draw Tite

I'm not affiliated with "Trailers for Less" in any way. I have bought trailers and accessories from them for many years. Great group of folks to deal with.

Last edited:
   / A different weight distribution question
gotcha on that. Thanks for the link. I'm bidding on a reese on ebay and could not tell by the pics if it was adjustable.

/ A different weight distribution question #5  
As others have said you can make it work with just about any truck trailer combo by taking some time during the initial setup.

Chris

/ A different weight distribution question #6  
A set up tip if you do get a WDH. Park your truck on a flat, level surface. When trying to figure out which holes on the "head" to put the 2 bolts through, line everything up so that the top of the ball is as close to 18'' from the ground as you can. Usually that is about right. Have assembled and installed about of a hundred of them working at a RV place some years ago. If I can help with anything else with it just hollar. :)

/ A different weight distribution question #7  
A set up tip if you do get a WDH. Park your truck on a flat, level surface. When trying to figure out which holes on the "head" to put the 2 bolts through, line everything up so that the top of the ball is as close to 18'' from the ground as you can. Usually that is about right. Have assembled and installed about of a hundred of them working at a RV place some years ago. If I can help with anything else with it just hollar. :)

Good tip. 18" is what we start at with hitch drop or rise in the boat business also.

Chris

/ A different weight distribution question

VERY good tip! Haven't thought of that.

/ A different weight distribution question #9  
The normal hitch head on the WDH allows quite a bit of adjustment up so that your hitch ball is higher than the receiver but very little down so that your ball is lower than the receiver. The part of the hitch that slides into the truck's receiver is sometimes called the stinger and on the WDH systems it is a cast iron chunk. You can buy these stingers that are made to allow a good bit of drop but they are over 100$.

Both of the WDHs were set at maximum lowness and I just finished lowering my F350 to the height of an F250 (2") so that I could get my trailers level. They were both nose high before and it bothered me, especially when the dovetail nearly drags.

/ A different weight distribution question #10  
The normal hitch head on the WDH allows quite a bit of adjustment up so that your hitch ball is higher than the receiver but very little down so that your ball is lower than the receiver.

Just turn the mount over. :p