3 pt. Trailer Hitch and Tool Racks

/ 3 pt. Trailer Hitch and Tool Racks #1  

ETpilot

Gold Member
Thought I would post pictures of my 3 pt trailer hitch and trailer tool racks. The hitch I made years ago when I first started welding. It had a couple of issues I decided to fix. One the lower ball flat stock had bent down with use as I did not support it enough. I straightened the flat stock and added side gussets. It should be ok now. Second I had flat stock below the upper ball on a 45* to the pipe. The problem here was that I have a trailer that has the latch where you lift a handle to release. This handle always kept getting hung up with the flat stock. I had to use care moving that trailer. I removed the flat stock and added the angle iron support. This should work. I, also, got rid of the crummy ball that it had and installed a new lower 2 ball. I can move all my trailers including the goosenecks with this hitch. I may paint it one day.

One of the members on another forum posed a question about trailer tool racks. One day I was using my trailer for collecting firewood, and had all my tools in the trailer. I thought of that question and thought it was a good idea. So, I made these tool racks to carry the tools I may need. I was going to bend the rod into a right angle but changed my mind and made it a T joint. That way I can use bungee cord below and above the cross member to hold the tools. I believe it should work good. . I am going to make a folding rest for the power head on the pole saw. It will ride better that way. When not in use the racks rotate out of the way. I covered the rod with clear plastic tubing for tool protection. No telling what I may be carrying. On the other side of the trailer I am thinking of adding a folding shelf. I would use it to carry the chainsaw, fuel, oil. Etc.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 1 (1).JPG
    1 (1).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 1 (2).JPG
    1 (2).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 1 (3).JPG
    1 (3).JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 293
   / 3 pt. Trailer Hitch and Tool Racks #2  
Great idea, ET.

I need to copy your idea for my lawn trailer. I have the same problem, my trimmer winds up underneath the branches. The hitch looks like it does the job very well.

Thanks for sharing.