Do we expect too much out of our trucks?

/ Do we expect too much out of our trucks? #1  

mustangsallysdad

Platinum Member
I've noticed a lot of debate recently regarding both new and old tow rigs...gas vs. diesel, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton, manual vs. automatic, etc. And then, of course, there is which brand is best. I just wonder if we have become pampered by the later model truck's tow ratings and HP and torque numbers. I personally have an F350 LWB SRW Crew with V10 gas, automatic, 4.30 limited slip, trailer tow package with integrated brake controller, etc. I saw that someone had recently referred to such a combo as a "Dog" when towing. It got me thinking back to when I was a kid...my Father hauled us all around the country over a period of years with a 2wd F150 LWB with a small block and 4 speed. No trailer or camper package, no heavy duty cooling, no ABS. He installed a set of air shocks and that was it. I'm pretty sure my F350 has more torque in the wiper motor than that truck of his had. He hauled a 10 1/2' slide in camper and towed a HEAVY old AMF Crestliner 19' boat with NO trailer brakes. I never recall any issues as far as breakdowns or overheating, and never heard him complain about how hard it was to control. As a matter of fact, I remember him as always being happy behind the wheel, humming, whistling and so forth. For a number of years I towed a 20' Wellcraft Eclipse with a 1990 F150 4X4 SWB with a 300 six and a 5 speed manual and a 3.73 rear end. Never had any problem with it either...towed quite competently, actually. Anyway, just thinking we've gotten to a point where as a society we expect a lot more for our money (nothing wrong with that), but how much is too much. You can no longer select individual options in order to keep the cost of a utilitarian truck down...everything is "option packages"...you want a 3.73 limited slip, well you may have to purchase it in a package with power windows, heated and cooled seats, power moon roof, dual climate control and Kryptonite encrusted mud flaps. You get the idea. What do you guys and gals think?

/ Do we expect too much out of our trucks? #2  
I've noticed a lot of debate recently regarding both new and old tow rigs...gas vs. diesel, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton, manual vs. automatic, etc. And then, of course, there is which brand is best. I just wonder if we have become pampered by the later model truck's tow ratings and HP and torque numbers. I personally have an F350 LWB SRW Crew with V10 gas, automatic, 4.30 limited slip, trailer tow package with integrated brake controller, etc. I saw that someone had recently referred to such a combo as a "Dog" when towing. It got me thinking back to when I was a kid...my Father hauled us all around the country over a period of years with a 2wd F150 LWB with a small block and 4 speed. No trailer or camper package, no heavy duty cooling, no ABS. He installed a set of air shocks and that was it. I'm pretty sure my F350 has more torque in the wiper motor than that truck of his had. He hauled a 10 1/2' slide in camper and towed a HEAVY old AMF Crestliner 19' boat with NO trailer brakes. I never recall any issues as far as breakdowns or overheating, and never heard him complain about how hard it was to control. As a matter of fact, I remember him as always being happy behind the wheel, humming, whistling and so forth. For a number of years I towed a 20' Wellcraft Eclipse with a 1990 F150 4X4 SWB with a 300 six and a 5 speed manual and a 3.73 rear end. Never had any problem with it either...towed quite competently, actually. Anyway, just thinking we've gotten to a point where as a society we expect a lot more for our money (nothing wrong with that), but how much is too much. You can no longer select individual options in order to keep the cost of a utilitarian truck down...everything is "option packages"...you want a 3.73 limited slip, well you may have to purchase it in a package with power windows, heated and cooled seats, power moon roof, dual climate control and Kryptonite encrusted mud flaps. You get the idea. What do you guys and gals think?

Agreed MSD, people do tend to expect a lot out of their trucks. I remember when PUs were truly for work and very utilitarian.

While I know a new PU can likely out-tow my 99 F250 (7.3, 6 speed manual. manual locking hubs), it does fine pulling our old boat or 32' aluminum cargo hauler...and its been paid for for 7 years!

/ Do we expect too much out of our trucks?
Exactly...the title to mine in the file cabinet more than makes up for any shortcomings. It's also better than "new truck smell", IMO.

/ Do we expect too much out of our trucks? #4  
My old 318 76 dodge would have easily out pulled my 06 1500 ram {same engine}. My fathers 72 3/4 chevy 350 would be stronger then most equal chevy's of today. I'm not saying trucks of today are weaker then yesterdays trucks but some are. Plus all the plastics etc. that are used are weaker then the all steal construction of yesteryear. Just take a look at the drive line on the 1/2tons today compared to yesteryear. I would say it is a tossup, somethings seem better while other stuff makes for a real pain in the butt. I honestly would still rather be able to work on the old then pay doctors fees to fix the new.

/ Do we expect too much out of our trucks? #5  
The guy who called your combination a "dog" was, more than likely, driving a Banks turboed, chipped, lifted, oil burner who's never towed, or hauled, anything in his life;does nothing but cruise Main street. I see them all the time around here :laughing:

/ Do we expect too much out of our trucks? #6  
If you think about it, most trucks are still using the basic engine from yester year but with FI and computers etc. I think all the mandated EPA stuff the motors have to deal with now has a lot to do with the feeling that the older ones were stronger. Heck, I've got a 5.3 Z 71 Silverado that when I lift the hood I have to study it for a minute or two just to find what I'm looking for. Remember the old days when you popped the hood the engine seemed soooo accessible..... ha, those days are gone. As far as working on them...forget it.

/ Do we expect too much out of our trucks? #7  
soooo accessible..... ha, those days are gone. As far as working on them...forget it

Used to be able to crawl in and sit beside a Chev/GM 350! Same with the Dodge 318!:D

Seems those trucks got it done at the time???:laughing:

And before that the flathead V8 or straight six??:laughing:

/ Do we expect too much out of our trucks? #8  
You can no longer select individual options in order to keep the cost of a utilitarian truck down...everything is "option packages"...you want a 3.73 limited slip, well you may have to purchase it in a package with power windows, heated and cooled seats, power moon roof, dual climate control and Kryptonite encrusted mud flaps. You get the idea. What do you guys and gals think?

While some of this option packaging is certainly to 'up sell', a lot of it, maybe most of it is economics for the manufacturer. It costs money to make every option individually order-able. Odds are, the manufacturers determine what options are ordered together most of the time and make that a single option.

Anyone who remembers when the imports first landed, you didn't have a lot of options to choose from and in many cases, still do not. The first imports usually had a basic model, but as soon as you wanted automatic or AC, you moved up a model which included a lot of other stuff. The top of the line model added in a bunch of dealer installed options. Therefore, the factories were designed to make 2 versions; Basic and The One Most People Would Buy.

/ Do we expect too much out of our trucks?
Used to be able to crawl in and sit beside a Chev/GM 350! Same with the Dodge 318!:D

Seems those trucks got it done at the time???:laughing:

And before that the flathead V8 or straight six??:laughing:
My old Mustang...a basic set of SAE sockets, screwdriver and a timing light...all I need. My F350, scan tool and code reader and a set of 4 service manuals, Rotunda specialty tools (several), metric and SAE sockets, torque wrenches down to inch pounds and sometimes a lot of coffee drinking and head scratching. That's another gripe of mine...why can't the manufacturer's use either SAE or Metric instead of a mix of both...my eyes aren't what they used to be and it's always back and forth to the toolbox trying to find the right size...same with my Massey...a mix of both.

/ Do we expect too much out of our trucks? #10  
I agree that the guy who called your V-10 4.30 equipped F-350 has no idea what he is talking about.

While it may seem like we are going backwards look at it this way. The trucks today and cars also get much better mpg overall and that is with all the epa stuff. If we could go back to 1970' smog rules and had today's engines minus all the crap that takes away power we would be getting 25mpg in a rig like yours.

Now look at how much more comfortable the rigs are. Those old trucks were cured. Most were dangerous too. Metal dashes, gas tanks behind the seat or outside the frame rails ect. If you were in a crash you would be lucky to walk away yet alone be carted away.

Last but not least look at how many great things these trucks do. You can drive them daily as a weekend warrior, take them on a 2000 mile vacation comfortably, do real work when needed, ect.

Yes, they are harder to work on but rarely need it as compared to years past. Remember changing points, plugs, fuel pumps, ect. This used to be routine maintenance. Now days you do not touch a thing for 60,000 miles or more. No matter how much you do not want to believe it we drive much more now days and with this we have vehicles that start every time and do not bog out if we get the distributor wet.

Chris