which chains and binders should i use?

/ which chains and binders should i use? #31  
#2 highway in salisbury new brunswick,20 minutes West from moncton .They said absolutely no straps

From what I can gather the guy who answered the phone is wrong. New Brunswick does follow same NSC Standard 10 as Nova Scotia and webbing straps are allowed. I did find a revision of the National tandard linked throught the New Brunswick DOT website and it states that effective Jan 1 2011 tie downs must be marked by the manufacturer with the WLL. Default rating will no longer be used for tie downs with no ratings after that date. In that revisions webbing straps are referenced. In another draft revision is does state that "The use of synthetic webbing to secure flattened or crushed vehicles is prohibited"

I've not yet seen any regulations which would indicate only chains and binders are allowed.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #32  
I don't know what book of regulations he was reading but he did state I can use straps for hauling wood and so on but not for hauling vehicles.The hold down must be made of steel because of the load trying to roll

/ which chains and binders should i use? #33  
anyway I brought my straps back to princess auto in exchange for 40 feet of 3/8" 70 chain and ratchet binders and then I'll wave when I drive by the scale house:thumbsup:

/ which chains and binders should i use? #34  
I'm surprised at the amount of misinformation floating around on this site regarding securing a load, much of it seemingly straight from the horses mouth. I've read a number of times that the strength of each tie down must at least equal the weight of the load it is securing, that is incorrect.

For loads under 10,000 lbs. the sum of 1/2 of all the tie downs used must equal at least 1/2 of the load weight.

Example: using two 3300 lb WLL tie downs.
[1/2(3300)+1/2(3300)]= 1/2(load)
3300= 1/2(load)
Load=6000 lbs

For a 3000 pound tractor secured with two tie downs each can have a WLL of 1500 pounds to be in compliance.

Using the recommended 4 tie downs on a 3000 pound tractor requires each tie down to be WLL rated for at least 750 pounds.

This seems low but is in compliance of the North American securement standards.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #35  
I'm surprised at the amount of misinformation floating around on this site regarding securing a load, much of it seemingly straight from the horses mouth. I've read a number of times that the strength of each tie down must at least equal the weight of the load it is securing, that is incorrect.

For loads under 10,000 lbs. the sum of 1/2 of all the tie downs used must equal at least 1/2 of the load weight.

Example: using two 3300 lb WLL tie downs.
[1/2(3300)+1/2(3300)]= 1/2(load)
3300= 1/2(load)
Load=6000 lbs

For a 3000 pound tractor secured with two tie downs each can have a WLL of 1500 pounds to be in compliance.

Using the recommended 4 tie downs on a 3000 pound tractor requires each tie down to be WLL rated for at least 750 pounds.

This seems low but is in compliance of the North American securement standards.

That is basically how I understand it.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #37  
I use gr 70 3/8" and 3/8" chain binders...I have 3 16ft chains...one chain goes across the rear,and the binders grab the chian between the ends,basically forming 2 separate chains with a loose loop in the middle.The fronts i use full 16fters on each side,they run from the SS over the bucket,and to the front.The chains are run from the impliment down under the tie down point,and the chain is hooked opening down,so if one gest loose it will not fall off the attachment point...my machine weights about 7700,no problems so far...

Attachments

• 13323_1315497859570_1594426983_752850_5084838_n.jpg
    13323_1315497859570_1594426983_752850_5084838_n.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 13323_1315497819569_1594426983_752849_4010921_n.jpg
    13323_1315497819569_1594426983_752849_4010921_n.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 217
   / which chains and binders should i use? #38  
He also said the same rules apply to tow trucks.they can only use steel cables or chains to tie down vehicles.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #39  
Isn't the general consideration that a static load can have strap(ie pallets, crates), while a non-static load(ie something that rolss) should have chains?

I posted CHP's email here a couple times in the past; I emailed and called them in the Sacramento commercial office to clarify. Independant tie off on all four corners and over attachments. But, they indicated chains or straps.

I have used straps, but with all the "edges" on tractors, they got nicked up quickly. I switched to chains only. Except, for my old Farmall; it was painted up nice for parades. I could use straps to minimize scratching the paint.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #40  
Based on the STANDARD 10 CARGO SECUREMENT rules which define standards for North America chain tie downs must be used when hauling small concrete pipe when the tie down goes through the pipe, boulders, or crushed/flattened vehicles. Synthetic webbing is allowed for all other materials including non-crushed vehicles. Rolling cargo needs to be chocked or otherwise prevented from rolling but there are no provisions which dictates the use of chains on rolling cargo except when the tie down passes through the center of a concrete pipe.

I pulled the following from a cargo securement instructors handbook, these are the expected correct answers to the question of how an 11,000 pound escavator should be secured to a trailer.

♦ A minimum of four 2,268 kg
(5,000 lb.) tiedowns are
required to comply with the
Standard.
♦ The hydraulic shovel must be
lowered completely and
secured to the trailer. A chain
or a webbing tiedown could be
used. If a webbing tiedown is
used, edge protectors should be
used to prevent damage to the
webbing tiedown.
♦ The machine must be restrained
against movement in the lateral,
forward, rearward, and vertical
direction using a minimum of
four tiedowns

I think it's clear from from the material I've looked at so far that if your state of province use the Standard 10for load securement regulations, which most states and provinces do, then webbing tie downs are permitted for all "light" or "heavy" tractors/vehicles.

The cargo securement standard has been harmonized since 2006 and fully adopted by FMCSA and all Canada Provinces as the North American Standard for Cargo Securement.

Last edited: