which chains and binders should i use?

/ which chains and binders should i use? #1  

bjess8

Bronze Member
Tractor
GRAND L3130
I am sure this has been asked a million times but i can not find anything in the search field,so here goes
i just bought a trailer to haul my L3130 Kubota on and was wondering what is the pro's and con's about buying a 3\8 grade70 chain vs a 5\16 grade 70 other than I know the 3\8 has a lot more holding power.just wondering if I really would need to buy A 3\8 or not.For the money it is not that much more to go with a bigger chain.I would like some feed back on this just to help me make up my mind.Thanks for any and all replies.
p.s the trailer is a 18ft 10,000 lb equipment trailer made by interstate.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #2  
I personally wouldn't have a problem putting the 5/16" on there and boom it down. One on the front and one on the back but that's just me. 5/16" will be lighter to handle.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #3  
I agree with Mr. Jayste. Though my tractor is considerably lighter, I couln't fathom the situation where my 5/16" G70 chain breaks. That is some TOUGH STUFF. Put another way, whatever anchors you have your chain attached to will probably eat themselves before the chain will break.

5/16" chain is a good handling size. Though it doesn't seem like much of a jump on paper, pick up a 16' or 20' section of 3/8" chain vs. 5/16". For a 20' run, 5/16" is a little over 20# and the 3/8 is a little over 30#. I regularly carry 3-16' sections of 5/16" G70 chain along with a couple binders in the back of my truck.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #4  
Not sure about your laws but in this state they want to see 4 contacts, each corner. I know last year they were being real sticklers about it.

5/16
4700 rated lbs

3/8
6600 rated lbs
DO NOT USE FOR OVERHEAD LIFTING.

Do not exceed working load limit.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #5  
I trailer my L4330 cabbed kubota pretty much every day and have never used anything but 5/16 G70. Chain on each corner, crossed on the front, not usually possible to do on the back because of the hitch and a good quality binder on each chain. I prefer the lever types myself, ratchet style is to slow when your loading/loading 6 times a day. Also don't forget to strap down any attachments you got on even if its attached to the tractor and over the fel.

/ which chains and binders should i use?
OK thanks for the replies I bought a 3/8 g70 16ft the other day before I posted this and now I think I will get a 5\16 g70 not sure if I need a 20 footer or 16 footer but atleast reading the posts I feel better about a 5\16 chain. thanks

/ which chains and binders should i use? #7  
What I would do is get 2 20'. Lowes has the best price, $32, and they are quality chains. Have them cut them in 1/2 and get 2 more grab hooks and now you are covered on all 4 corners.

Many of us here have gone that route with the Lowes chain and 4 10' pieces. Works great with not a lot of slack. If you need to pull or bind something with a longer chain just hook 2 together.

Chris

/ which chains and binders should i use? #8  
What I would do is get 2 20'. Lowes has the best price, $32, and they are quality chains. Have them cut them in 1/2 and get 2 more grab hooks and now you are covered on all 4 corners.

Many of us here have gone that route with the Lowes chain and 4 10' pieces. Works great with not a lot of slack. If you need to pull or bind something with a longer chain just hook 2 together.

Chris
I just bought some of the Lowe's chains myself. Campbell made in USA, 5/16" grade 70, 20' foot chains. They are $35.96 here, but still an excellent buy!

/ which chains and binders should i use? #9  
I just bought some of the Lowe's chains myself. Campbell made in USA, 5/16" grade 70, 20' foot chains. They are $35.96 here, but still an excellent buy!
Yea, I just went back and check my price on line and they were $32.25 give or take a few cents. Cheaper here in Indiana I guess. We have a Lowes distribution center about 60 miles away so maybe that is the reason, not as much trucking???? Either way its a good chain at a good price.

Chris

/ which chains and binders should i use? #10  
Not sure about your laws but in this state they want to see 4 contacts, each corner. I know last year they were being real sticklers about it.

5/16
4700 rated lbs

3/8
6600 rated lbs
DO NOT USE FOR OVERHEAD LIFTING.

Do not exceed working load limit.

When I chain my tractor L4400, I use two chains. I run from the rear corner of the trailer, over the BH frame, to the other rear corner of the trailer, same with the front.. Now I consider each corner as being two points of contact. Are you saying that I need a separate chain, and binder for each corner? As far as chain size goes, Bigger is always better. You never know what crazy situation you might find yourself in while using your machine. If you can afford it, go bigger, just like when you are buying a trailer.