Enclosed Trailer Suggestions

/ Enclosed Trailer Suggestions #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters:

I wanted to get some insight into recommended brands and features for an enclosed trailer; and/or whether one sounds applicable to my current need. As many of you know I pull an open utility trailer which has served me well. That said, I am forever needing (or wanting) to pull both my equipment and/or household goods back and forth between my parents' place (about three hours away) in a protected situation. I have thought about an enclosed trailer for this application, but there are a couple of concerns I have had: first, I would need something that could haul a 3000 series JD tractor with a mid mount mower (with ROPS down; mower would be about 76" wide without chute and tractor combination around 5000# in that configuration), which begs the question what widths are available, and would such a machine fit into an enclosed trailer?? Second, are there any additional features those currently with these trailers might advise me to get on the front end?? I am not "cheap" but suggestions about good quality cost effective trailers of this type are certainly welcome. Since I do not tow that often, I am debating about whether this would be a good purchase, but it seems unless they are really expensive it might be. I have been thinking of a car hauler type since they appear to have a stouter deck/ramp configuration. Thanks in advance.

John M

/ Enclosed Trailer Suggestions #2  
I have a 7X14 enclosed trailer rated at 7K. It has a 3K rated ramp type dropdown door and external fenders. I would think this would meet your needs. They also make them with wider cargo bodies but these usually have internal fender wells so they are really no wider between the fenders in the cargo compartment.

/ Enclosed Trailer Suggestions #3  
I have a 8.5 x 20 that I've used for hauling my 8N with a 5' brush hog, and it fit just right. It's rated 12k, which is a bit high for the normal load, but then I'll never overload it. A 7 ft wide might work ok, but an 8.5 ft will give you a little more room to get around the tractor to tie it down.
I'm currently looking for a 28-30 ft enclosed, but it seems that all the ones I find are rated 10k, and on a trailer that long the empty weight takes up too much of the capacity.
It seems that the empty weight is about half of your capacity on most enclosed trailers, so make sure that whatever one you buy it will carry the load you want to put in it.

/ Enclosed Trailer Suggestions #4  
Fellow Posters:

?? I am not "cheap" but suggestions about good quality cost effective trailers of this type are certainly welcome.
John M

I bought one of these a few years ago, it's a great trailer but probably overkill for most people. The width will work but I'm not sure about the height. Make sure any enclosed trailer you look at is rated at 10K, most are rated at 7K.
Featherlite Trailers - Car Trailers - Bumper Pull Trailers - 4928 Car Hauler

Welcome to American Trailer Sales - Very large dealer in West Virginia