2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I have a 06 F250 FX4 and noticed a small oil leak while under the truck. The other day, I saw a small oil spot on the front u joint of the driveshaft coming out of the transfer case. Upon further inspection, I noticed a drip forming on the exhaust manifold bolt (small) and a good film of oil in the engine valley (between the heads). The oil level in the truck was still normal, so I am not losing a lot of oil. Any thoughts on where it could be coming from? Is this common?

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #2  
Loose injector or glow plug seal leaking? I would clean it real well and leave it idling to see if you can pin point exactly where it's coming from.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #3  
I would also check the turbo real well.

I would also PM Dargo . He bought a 05 or 06 6.0 F-350 and it had a leak when he got it in or about the same area that he had fixed. He new it was leaking buying it and I guess its not unheard of to leak in that area so he knew what it would take to fix it from his research.

Chris

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #4  
the oil filter sets up there.. it's a plastic housing with a paper cartridge that screws in.. has an oring.. etc. mine has leaked before when i first got my 04 f250 using oem filters.. using a napa oil filter fixed the problem..

soundguy

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #5  
Good though SoundGuy. Could be as simple as a cut filter O-Ring.

Chris

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #6  
Check the ICP sensor,it is in the intake valley under the turbo.It isnt easy to see down there,but its likely the source,(or the turbo oil drain) if its coming from the valley.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #7  
do post back and let us know what you find. the other PSD owners here will want to know what to look for, me included.. or at least what to keep an eye on..

soundguy

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #8  
Check the ICP sensor,it is in the intake valley under the turbo.It isnt easy to see down there,but its likely the source,(or the turbo oil drain) if its coming from the valley.

Raw Dodge, believe me, I could be wrong here but I think in '04 or '05 they started putting the ICP on the passenger side head or valve cover area. In '03 (first year for 6.0) that sorry little item was positioned where you're describing and is a "10 hour" job at the garage to replace! I think when they repositioned it, it changed to a "1 hour" job. I've got a $975 chunk out of my behind to prove it! Ouch!:mad::eek: You are correct when they go out they can leak oil (though not in my case) but usually, from what I've read, they leak a lot due to being under pressure.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak
do post back and let us know what you find. the other PSD owners here will want to know what to look for, me included.. or at least what to keep an eye on..

soundguy

Will do...I am checking the o ring this evening and if that is not it I will be putting it in the shop next Wed. I changed the oil about 6 weeks ago and replaced the o ring. I used to be pretty handy with diesels but this 6.0 looks like it is a bear to work on. I'll let the more experienced guys have the fun!!

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #10  
I brought my 07 in for a small leak.Turned out they had to completely remove engine to replace the bedplate seals.While they had it out they replaced all the block seals and gaskets.No more leaks.If your dealership has a properly trained techs this fix is a piece of cake.
Best of luck,
Scotty