Help me improve towing on a Suburban

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #11  
Age doesnt mean much in a truck,my brother just towed an enclosed trailer to fla and back,from NY with his 01 1500 z71 excab chevy...it has 262K miles on it,and not a whimper from it,not one single problem.my gmc pulls and plows its 9 yrs old 94K,my dodge tows 14k+ easily,and reliably with 150K miles on it...
As for the WD hitch,if you havent used one,they are a pain to set up properly,you really need a scale,many test drives,and a load that is consistantly the same.Open car trailers always vary in load depending on where the car is locked down...with the suburban he really doesnt need the WD hitch to tow 7K trailer! the truck has a 135" WB,thats plenty...if he had a 120" or less,different story altogether...same with weight,if he was towing 9000 w 1000 on the tongue he'd need a WD hicth and a 2500sub...ideally.
i tow up to 15000 without a WD hitch with the dump trailer,and flatbed trailers and it handles perfect,this is with a 150+WB truck,but i like a WD hitch when towing my 9500lb sunnybrook,as its much longer,and the truck doesnt /bob with the WD hitch at all,it isnt so much the weight,but how long the trailer and how high the center of gravity for me..

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #12  
Age doesnt mean much in a truck,my brother just towed an enclosed trailer to fla and back,from NY with his 01 1500 z71 excab chevy...it has 262K miles on it,and not a whimper from it,not one single problem.my gmc pulls and plows its 9 yrs old 94K,my dodge tows 14k+ easily,and reliably with 150K miles on it...
As for the WD hitch,if you havent used one,they are a pain to set up properly,you really need a scale,many test drives,and a load that is consistantly the same.Open car trailers always vary in load depending on where the car is locked down...with the suburban he really doesnt need the WD hitch to tow 7K trailer! the truck has a 135" WB,thats plenty...if he had a 120" or less,different story altogether...same with weight,if he was towing 9000 w 1000 on the tongue he'd need a WD hicth and a 2500sub...ideally.
i tow up to 15000 without a WD hitch with the dump trailer,and flatbed trailers and it handles perfect,this is with a 150+WB truck,but i like a WD hitch when towing my 9500lb sunnybrook,as its much longer,and the truck doesnt /bob with the WD hitch at all,it isnt so much the weight,but how long the trailer and how high the center of gravity for me..

Agreed

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #13  
Oh my gosh, I have to make due with a 14 year old truck.:ashamed: And no chance of replacing it soon.:eek:

Go with air bags and new hitch. Probably you will not have to add to the springs if you do. :thumbsup:

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #14  
Hello all. Thanks for your interest.

I have a 2004 1/2 ton Suburban with the 5.3L engine and 3.73 gears. I have the stock hitch, rated to 5,000 lbs or 7,000 lbs with a weight distributing hitch. I would like to increase my towing ability without having to deal with a weight distributing hitch.

I know I would need to get a heavy hitch and put it on. But what about tongue weight? Can I put airbags in the back coil springs to help out? Any other options?

I don't really need to go over the 7,000 lb threshold. I just want to get there safely and have the truck tow a little better.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh
Why not use air shocks? Cheaper, easier to install, can be adjusted based on load and tongue weight...tried and true method that has been used for a long time.

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #15  
Speaking from my experience (best learned from mistakes as they say), the usual option is add a leafs for leaf springs. Yep, will not work here. Probably not much to replace the rear springs, but I'll bet you that a new set of shocks (try the Rancho 9000 type, or the Edelbrock units, etc) will make a huge difference. Also, and I expect it might already have this, a rear sway bar. Easy to install. You can change the mounting bushings to the polymer type for a bit firmer transition (factory usually uses rubber for ride and noise). I know when I looked a few years ago that the front coil sprung trucks had an air bag for the inside of the coil springs. Looked easy to install, and weren't much $. 7000# should be no big deal for a Burb (long for stability). Go luxurious and buy the best brake controller you can afford. And a hitch that exceeds your requirements. And big enough mirrors to see around your load. Consider an adjustable height ball carrier (it makes setting your trailer level so much easier as loads vary).

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #16  
I vote for the weight distributing hitch. Both my Father in law on his 2002 Yukon and myself on my 2003 2500 Dmax have used them for 7 years in conjunction with the "junk GM hitch" to tow a 28ft toy box all over the east coast each summer, Sometimes loaded to 10k, as of this writing, both vehicles are still faring well with 100k ish on the clocks, and we both are still alive to talk about it.

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #17  
I would also recommend a pair of supersprings (supersprings.com)

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #18  
air shocks put alot of extra strain/stress on the shock mounts, which generally arent designed to carry that kind of weight

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #19  
On my old truck, I beefed up the springs for when I had the 11' cabover camper on it.

There is a good spring shop in Sacramento, about 40 minutes from me. Told them what I wanted to do. They matched spring stock to my needs, and made an extra leaf. Worked great! And was not bad on the checkbook.

At the same time, I upgraded/replaced spring and swaybar bushings. Also added Rancho 9000 series shocks. That worked out well. When I wanted to haul heavy, I reached in the fenderwell and turned the shock up; when empty I turned them down. The shocks had a knob on the side. For more $$$, they make a version with a control panel that goes in the cab.

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban
Thank you all for your responses. I actually just towed a BX24 home from Indy (70 miles) for my brother. About 5K with machine and trailer, and it did ok. But want to get to 7k. So, I'm going to look into your suggestions and decide from there. It is tempting to go truck shopping, but I'm worried about the economy still. So I'll save instead.

Thanks,
J