Help me improve towing on a Suburban

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #1  

Boiler74

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4710
Hello all. Thanks for your interest.

I have a 2004 1/2 ton Suburban with the 5.3L engine and 3.73 gears. I have the stock hitch, rated to 5,000 lbs or 7,000 lbs with a weight distributing hitch. I would like to increase my towing ability without having to deal with a weight distributing hitch.

I know I would need to get a heavy hitch and put it on. But what about tongue weight? Can I put airbags in the back coil springs to help out? Any other options?

I don't really need to go over the 7,000 lb threshold. I just want to get there safely and have the truck tow a little better.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #2  
Why are you opposed to a weight distribution hitch? They aren't a big deal to hook up and us. Biggest drawback is a little bit of creaking when traveling slow and they are loaded heavy.

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #3  
Yes you can replace the hitch with a heavier one. They usually bolt up easily with 6 bolts to the frame. For assistance with tongue weight if you are against a WD hitch you can do one of the following.

Are you sure the suburban has rear coils? I haven't had a suburban since 88 but it had leaf springs. If you have leafs you can have a spring shop add an extra leaf to each rear spring. (I had that done to the 88 suburban I once owned). If you have coils maybe they are getting a little weak and should be replaced.
If you do have rear coil springs you can add air bags inside the coils.
Or you could buy air shocks. This would probably be the easiest to do.

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #4  
I had an 04 ram 1500 with the hemi. powerful truck but the rear sank with just my 3500lb motorcycle trailer. I put a set of airbags in it with an onboard airsystem for under $400. Made a world of difference.

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #5  
Are you sure it has 3.73 gears? Not a big deal but I looked in my book for both a 2004 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive Suburban with a 5.3L engine and it shows 4:10 gears as the only option. Note: this is just a guide I have so it may be incomplete.

Anyway the 2 wheel drive version is rated at 8,400# towing and the 4 wheel drive rated at 8,200# so you are good there.

As for the hitch you could upgrade and put in air bags but why? Its a 7 year old truck that may not last much longer and this stuff is truck specific. They are also going to run you $500 or more for both. If you buy a WD hitch for a $200 you will have it for life.

Chris

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #6  
Are you sure it has 3.73 gears? Not a big deal but I looked in my book for both a 2004 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive Suburban with a 5.3L engine and it shows 4:10 gears as the only option. Note: this is just a guide I have so it may be incomplete.

Anyway the 2 wheel drive version is rated at 8,400# towing and the 4 wheel drive rated at 8,200# so you are good there.

As for the hitch you could upgrade and put in air bags but why? Its a 7 year old truck that may not last much longer and this stuff is truck specific. They are also going to run you $500 or more for both. If you buy a WD hitch for a $200 you will have it for life.

Chris

A WD hitch is 400+ dollars unless you buy online,then its 300+ 100 shipping! Towing local roads,and tight city streets a WD hitch is a major pain,as they add a twisting motion to sharp turns by design.they are best used on highways,and interstates,they are not well suited for roads where steep inclines or depressions are encountered...
Id do the air bags,and get a good hitch,the stock hitch is garbage anyway and should be discarded the day you get the truck,they are weak,and thin.

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #7  
I agree the GM hitches are junk but I just ordered a Curt WD hitch 10,000# unit with 1,000# tongue weight with anti sway setup to my door for $210.

I also agree they are a pain at times but a god sent at others. That being said I personally do not use them but would before buying airbags. Airbags to me are just a band aid for too small of a truck.

Chris

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #8  
Have you ever heard on Timbren overloads? They are very easy to install. You remove the rubber bump-stops and bolt on the Timbrens in their place. You can find them on the internet or sometimes at spring shops. They kind of look like an airbag but are hollow rubber. I have used them on my last three pickups, a half ton, a one ton and a three quarter ton. They make a specific model for each truck. My trailers have heavy tongue weights but I don't use an equalizer hitch. I just make sure to rotate my tires often.

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban
I don't tow everyday and when I do I'm usually hooking up and unhooking a lot. That's why I don't want to mess with a WD hitch. And I know the truck is getting a little older and if I had unlimited money I'd get a new one. But it's hard to justify a bigger truck when I don't need it everyday. And yes I'm sure of the 3.73 gears and coil shocks.

So it looks like a new hitch and airbags or the timbren things. Will do more research when I get near a real computer.

Thanks all. I appreciate all the responses.

/ Help me improve towing on a Suburban #10  
Personally I'd go with the WD hitch. The airbags really are a band-aid. I have pulled travel trailers on some very hairy country roads and never had a problem besides the occasional "creek/pop"..Turn the radio up:D

WD with anti-sway is a serious improvement over nothing. Air bags won't help much with handling either.

As far as the truck being 7 years old...Please. Mine is 6 years old and will pull anything I hook up to it and showing no signs of age at 80K.

I have a 2004 1500 GMC Z71 xcab with a 5.3 and 3:73's. Pretty similar to your truck overall.