Ford Super Duty

/ Ford Super Duty #1  

KB9UDE

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere x758
Hi all

I am looking for a newer and heavier truck to pull my Deere 4120 and attachments around. Will seriously be looking to buy a gooseneck 14k trailer also.

My question today is about the 2000 year and newer power strokes. I had a 1996 7.3 PSD 4x4 several years back and really liked it. I have found a nice looking 1997 PSD and also have been looking at 2000 models and slightly newer. Is there major concerns about buying a 200k++ truck for once a week or so pulling?? I am looking at the following truck also. Give me your pros and cons. I dont want to spend alot of money but need a HD truck.
Illinois Auto Brokers - 2000 Ford Super Duty F-250 Lariat - Decatur, Illinois

Thanks and I will try to answer questions if needed.

John

HAPPY EASTER!!--PLEASE REMEMBER THE REAL REASON FOR THIS HOLIDAY:thumbsup:

/ Ford Super Duty #2  
If you liked the 7.3L (a.k.a. International T444E), the good news is that they were made until the 2004 model year (although, the last model year in Ford trucks was 2002 from what I just read). However, I've heard that the 6.0L (a.k.a. International VT-365) is a terrible engine, with bad injector problems and hard cold starts. I love how they sound, though. ;)

/ Ford Super Duty
I loved my 7.3L. That is why I have been looking at 97-2002 trucks. My question is what kind of problems am I looking at? Engine, tranny, chassis? I would love to have a 5 or 6 speed manual tranny by the way... My 96 was a manual and could pull more than I needed it to.

/ Ford Super Duty #4  
However, I've heard that the 6.0L (a.k.a. International VT-365) is a terrible engine, with bad injector problems and hard cold starts.

You may have heard it but I haven't experienced it. My 2003 6.0L Powerstroke has yet to have injector problems and cold starts have never been an issue.

/ Ford Super Duty #5  
No problems here also with an 06 6.0 PSD with 54K miles. 80% of the time it's got a trailer behind it, and some occasional HEAVY loads. Good luck.

/ Ford Super Duty #6  
First off, the 7.3 was in the Super Dutys until the 03 model year. The first half the the 03s had the 7.3 the last half was the 6.0.

The 7.3s were dang near bullet proof. KB9ude, that truck is super clean for 252K miles!!! It shows that was taken care of. For the $$$, I would say its not outta line at all, being a crew cab, 4X4 Lariet, See if you can contact the previous owner and get some info of the truck. If the dealer is worthy, they will let you talk to him or her.

/ Ford Super Duty #7  
My better half ( yes my wife of 32 years) has a 2005 F-250 6.0 with 98,000 miles, Has yet to visit a shop. Give em clean oil and fuel ( the truck that is) and no problem so far.

I am occasionally granted borrowing rights and impressed with pulling power. Great truck.

/ Ford Super Duty #8  
The biggest reason for injector failure on a 7.3 or 6.0 is fuel starvation. This could be caused by something as simple as prolonged driving with a plugged fuel filter, or as off the wall as a loose injector hold down, allowing compression to leak into the fuel passages in the head, aeriating the fuel. Starvation causes the 7x multiplier piston in the injector to hammer back and forth like a air hammer, beating the piston and nozzle to death. International states that 35% of all warranty returns on injectors are caused by fuel starvation. The fuel under the 7x piston actualy dampens and controls the motion of it.

On 7.3's the high pressure oil pump can be a problem, as many begin to leak from the plugs in the body over time. Look down in the engine valley below the fuel filter housing for oil pooling in the valley, you will need a flashlight. Pooled oil in the vallley is a sign that the high pressure pump may be leaking.

Pay very close attention to the coolant in a 7.3, as cylinder wall cavitation was an issue if proper cooling system maintenence was not done. Take a coolant sample, and have the ph levels tested. Any competent diesel shop will have the ability to do this while you wait.

I personaly realy like the 7.3, but am not a fan of the 6.0 and would skip right over that one if I were in the market for a truck.

/ Ford Super Duty #9  
You may have heard it but I haven't experienced it. My 2003 6.0L Powerstroke has yet to have injector problems and cold starts have never been an issue.

same here.. I have an 04 6.0psd in a f250. 90k miles or so. Has made lots of multi-thousand mile trips out of florida to drag antique tractors home for me. glow it and go.. if it rattles for a few seconds on a 20' morning after setting for a week.. glow it twice and then go..

soundguy

/ Ford Super Duty
What are the main items to look for in a 200K++ milage truck?? I really would like a lower mile option but everything I have seen in the 100k-150k range the price is drastically higher...

John