Cab Forward

/ Cab Forward #1  

wkpoor

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 5400, Farmall H, Farmall Cub, Allis Chalmers CA
Anyone know why Europe and the Middle East use 99% cab forward trucks and the US is the opposite. Here are a few pics I took last month in the UAE. These trucks come in every size imaginable all the way to semi. They appear very utilitarian in that the bed sides all fold down or are designed for racks to set in. I saw many different ways they cover the bed depending on the load. American style PU's were only driven privately never commercially.
Also their semis appear to be of a higher weight rating than ours. All dump trucks use the cylinder to push off the front of the bed rather than underneath like ours.

Attachments

• IMG00035-20100323-1754.jpg
    IMG00035-20100323-1754.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG00034-20100323-1753.jpg
    IMG00034-20100323-1753.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 130
   / Cab Forward #2  
Yeah. From what I gather, cab forward makes for a shorter truck, which makes maneuvering in towns much easier, which is more common in Europe.

/ Cab Forward #3  
Just different ways of doing things I guess???? I will say around here we see tons of the Isuzu and Mitsubishi trucks with the cab forward design.

I know a commercial mower I used to do service for on his trailers and mowers. He got rid of the trailers and bought a few well used Mitsubishi trucks and now puts all the stuff inside, safe and sound. There are two main benefits for him. One is security and the other is the DOT crap with a trailer.

Chris

/ Cab Forward #4  
Anyone know why Europe and the Middle East use 99% cab forward trucks and the US is the opposite. Here are a few pics I took last month in the UAE. These trucks come in every size imaginable all the way to semi. They appear very utilitarian in that the bed sides all fold down or are designed for racks to set in. I saw many different ways they cover the bed depending on the load. American style PU's were only driven privately never commercially.
Also their semis appear to be of a higher weight rating than ours. All dump trucks use the cylinder to push off the front of the bed rather than underneath like ours.

Cab forward is really nice for engine servicing--especially when you consider that some U.S. pickups require the cab to be moved out of the way for things like replacing engine heads.

F-series cab lif.jpg

Maybe something like a Isuzu cab forward commercial cab-chassis with a pickup box installed is the way to go. I frequently see Isuzu cab forward tow trucks offered on eBay. Don't recall seeing any Isuzu cab forwards with pickup boxes on eBay. There's quite of bit of Isuzu input to the GMC/Chevy Duramax diesels so getting service on an Isuzu cab forward probably isn't a big problem.

/ Cab Forward #5  
Im not a pro trucker, and i know theres some here that will likely chime in, butI think it has more to do with the changing of "bridge regulations" and increasing the length allowed that explains the demise of Cab overs here in north america.

Plus some truckers dont like them because they consider cab overs uncomfortable compared to conventionals. theres also an argument that conventionals are safer in an accident than COEs.

Personally i like COE. My grandfather ran alot of COE in his fleet. Probably 60% COE. It was the first rig i ever drove so i have some sentimental ties too:D

i think the last available COE here in north america was the Freightlilner Argosy last made 2005 i think?????Western star or kenworth might still make a coe by special order but im not sure.r

in lighter trucks, we have prob a 20-80 mix of coe to conv. here. COE is alot more nimble in town but are much more popular in the city.Ford, isuzu and Hino were big players but i think hino is out of cab over market here now

/ Cab Forward #6  
Moss hit the nail on the head. Shorter wheelbase makes for easier maneuvering ...... especially helpful in congested European and Asian countries. Not as much of an issue here. Drive the cab forward trucks, then drive one with the cab well behind the front axle and you will understand why set back cabs are so popular here.

/ Cab Forward #7  
Scooby, it was the change from the feds regulating overall length, to regulating the length of the trailers that killed the cabover here in the US.

/ Cab Forward #8  
Everything mentioned was a factor, but the single biggest factor was and still is the length of the drive.

In the USA the roads are well designed for high speeds, this means that ride quality is VERY important and you just can't get that with a short WB vehicle. Add to that the fact that many drivers will see the better part of 700 miles of seat time each day, and driver comfort starts to be a deciding factor.

There isn't a single truck manufacturer in the USA that does not offer a COE truck - just not in the USA. They are offered where driving distances are shorter, there is more emphasis on maintenance over a long useable life and of course overall length and weight are larger factors.

I predict, when fuel prices start upwards again, we will see a significant resurgence in COE or COE like tractors.

/ Cab Forward #9  
While efforts to reduce weight don't leave all that much strength for conventional trucks when things go bad, having that engine up front instead of underneath is still better. IE; no one has mentioned being the first one on the scene of an accident.

Still, I too have some fond memories having logged quite a few miles in F model and CruiseLiner Macks and GMC Astro's. With a max overall length of 55', those trucks with Reyco spring suspension or Hendrickson walking beams running on 110lb radial tires could be downright brutal.

The European cabovers do look pretty slick though.

/ Cab Forward #10  
Dodge, Ford, and Willy's made cabover pickups in the 1960's. I still see one now and then; saw a sharp looking Ford a week ago. Dodge and Ford seemed to use thier van front ends.

Don't know why they did not catch on; seems like they would be great for an in town delivery. Limited seating though, compared to the standard pickup cabs in the US.

In regards to big trucks, all the truckers I know said COE's rode worse than conventional.