reflective tape

/ reflective tape #1  

ihuntbear

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 tym T554 and 1999 Kobota m4700
I see a lot of trailers with red and silver reflective tape on the side of them.I think its a good idea for visibility and looks really good.I want to know if it has to be red and silver? Can it be orange and silver? Reason is I have a hole roll of orange and silver collecting dust in my garage.What do you guys use? I called DOT today they said the only law they have is for commercial vehicles only and I would have to call back later:confused:

/ reflective tape #3  
USE IT!!!! This is one of those times when it is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Don't worry about it!!

/ reflective tape #4  
I agree, use what you have. Just make sure the surface is clean and prep it with rubbing alcohol.

By they way anyone wanting to buy some Harbor Freight has it in rolls and strips for the best price I have seen.

Chris

/ reflective tape #5  
Thanks for the tip Chris. I've been wanting to get some reflective tape to add to my 16' trailer after I get it painted. Will stop by there soon and see what they have.

/ reflective tape #6  
I am a firm believer in conspicuity tape. Back in the 70's, I knew a couple who hit a flatbed trailer in the dark that had no lights on. The driver was broadside on a three lane highway backing into a parking lot. She was decapitated. He spent many months wearing a neck brace.

Do a search on conspicuity tape. You will find sources along with guidelines for installing the tape. 3M is my preferred brand.

/ reflective tape #7  
Thanks for the tip Chris. I've been wanting to get some reflective tape to add to my 16' trailer after I get it painted. Will stop by there soon and see what they have.

At my store its located in the isle with gloves, dusk mask, ect. They also have it back by the hitch stuff. Not sure why the two locations but they have it in 2' strips and rolls.

Chris

/ reflective tape #8  
At my store its located in the isle with gloves, dusk mask, ect. They also have it back by the hitch stuff. Not sure why the two locations but they have it in 2' strips and rolls.

Chris
Re: 2' strips/rolls. You may notice that some trailers will have the 2' strips then a space and then more tape while some will run a continuous roll. Economics 101. Thought I would add that.

/ reflective tape #9  
Hi...

Red/white(silver) are the two most common because they're the ones specifically required by Federal Code for Commercial trailers starting at 10,001 lbs.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/consp.pdf

Haven't spotted the code section for school buses but see a lot of the new ones using a lot of reflective tape in school bus yellow.

Didn't hunt for it but know the federal code also has a section tied to FRA for railroad use that is similar (and sticks to the Red/white scheme).

While color in smaller trailers can be a personal preference... If you stick with Red/White in the regulated pattern it makes it easier for folks to recognize what they're seeing. If you pick another color, drivers approaching may get confused as to what they're seeing leading to slower reaction times.

/ reflective tape #10  
In Nova Scotia I believe that fifty percent of the trailer side must red/white reflective tape installed.:D