Woods 6' RFM 500#
Any ballast in tires or wheel weights
for FEL ??
Trailer weight 2000# ?
-----
7050# on trailer
minus tongue weight 500#
6550# u would be at max weight.
Distance hauled and roads will make difference.
I would atleast go for heavier C or D range tires.
Less wishy-washy on highway.

/ Trailer Suggestions?
I've checked the manuals for both the JD and the Buehler Finish 72" mower deck. There are not weights listed for the FEL or the mower.

Where else may I find the weights? Although I don't think I'll ever take the mower with me, what are the comparable weights for a BoxBlade or other implements?

I don't want to buy TOO big a trailer - but I also don't want something too small. 7000#/19' is quite a bit of trailer for the weekend junkie that I am. I don't plan on hauling this anywhere but to our cabin and that is infrequent and wouldn't use any of the implements other than the loader.

Any more thoughts from the JD folks out there? I once asked for an FAQ comparing implements, their stats, companies making them with reviews, etc.. I'd still like to get something like that as it would sure be nice when it comes to tracking this kind of thing down.

Thanks again for the help!

-Bob

/ Trailer Suggestions?

Attachments

• 47-188487-abu_car_trailer.jpg
    47-188487-abu_car_trailer.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 107
   / Trailer Suggestions? #14  
Comparing trailers by remote -- looking at basic specs (length, axle capacity, etc) -- isn't enough. Any region of the country has enough independent dealers for you to check out on-site other features that will make/break your long-term satisfaction. For example:
- Wood planks should be treated, not painted
- D-rings in the corners are invaluable
- Undercoating is mandatory (real protection, not a fast-pass with the spray-gun). I've had 2 trailers rust out from underneath my equipment.
- Protected wiring under the trailer
- Ramps that are stored so rust doesn't cause them to stick in-place
- "New, radial tires" doesn't mean good tires
I've got a 4700 w FEL, 400 lbs wheel weights, other add-ons, bringing total weight to 5500-6000#. I do occasional trailering on a 7000# trailer with auto-type tires, and I know it's too much. Will go to a 10K eventually.
jim

/ Trailer Suggestions? #15  
I looked up the weight of the 460 FEL and the JD272 72" RFM in my handy dandy JD Grounds-care Equipment Purchasing Guide (available from your friendly local JD dealer) last night. The shipping weight for the RFM was listed as 670 lbs. The 460 FEL was listed at 890 lbs. It was not clear on the FEL whether or not the weight of the standard bucket was included in the total./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif If you think you might get a backhoe someday, the shipping weight of the JD48 hoe is listed at around 1500 lbs. If it were my decision, I would go for a 10K lb trailer. Hope this helps.

/ Trailer Suggestions?
Thanks for all the feedback. I went back to the trailer dealer with the revised estimates on weight and length and here is what they are saying:
-18' Length
-12K LB
-8-Ply truck tires, 6K per axle
-Linux-coating on all exposed metal on trailer
-10K drop leg jack
-drop stands

$2580.00

This provides for coverage on the heavier loads, gives me the length I need, and has the features of the previous trailer. I've attached a picture also (although the linux-coating sprayon will look different). Given what everyone has been saying, what are you thoughts on this - in both price and capability?

Thanks in advance everyone - your feedback has been incredible!

-Bob

Attachments

• 47-188781-ABU_heavy_car_trailer.jpg
    47-188781-ABU_heavy_car_trailer.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 107
   / Trailer Suggestions? #17  
Looks really stout. I like the jack setup and the adjustable height on the hitch. Is the deck treated lumber? Where are the ramps stored? I can't tell from the picture if is has a beaver tail or not. I prefer trailers without the beaver tail since they tend to drag on the ground fairly often on rough terrain. I once had the beaver tail on a trailer catch on a railroad track at a crossing./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Made a heck of a racket, but luckily no damage other than to my heart.

/ Trailer Suggestions?
The trailer comes with treated lumber and the ramps are stored on shelving under the tail. There is no beaver tail involved - nor do I want the ramps on the back being foldups as I am nervous about them dropping back (saw a weld do that once) and making that racket that you described.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Bob

/ Trailer Suggestions?
Well, I worked with the trailer sales folks and arrived at what I believe is a fair price for the 10K trailer. Included in the price is a 10K drop jack, linux coating, integrated jack lift on the front rail, drop stands for the back, tuck-under staired ramps, and 225x16x8PL tires. The total price is $2580 and takes about 4 weeks to manufacture.

With this trailer I should be able to haul my 4600, FEL, and an implement or two - besides for being able to use it for other things also. Fortunately my 40x60 polebarn still has alot of room as I'm starting to fill it up with all of these new toys.

Thanks for the feedback and help everyone. I'll let you know how things go with the trailer.

-Bob

/ Trailer Suggestions? #20  
Post a few photos when you get it. Your pole barn is bigger than most houses here. I'm jealous. We are building in a sub-division and I get a nice shop, but it MUST match the house, so the square footage gets smaller to have a brick building that looks like a house. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif