Trailer Suggestions?

/ Trailer Suggestions? #1  

rmonio

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD B
(I posted this as a response in another thread - however, because of the small window associated with the State Fair pricing, I wanted to make sure I was able to get feedback. Thanks!)

-------------------

Hello -

I'm currently looking at an 18' trailer that a local dealer in ND manufactures. The trailer is $1795, can be linux-coated (rubberized coating like you see on truck liners), and has all the features you'd want in a 7000lb trailer. The total price I'm looking at with the spring-loaded drop jack, linux-coating, etc., is around $2100.

It is manufactured by ABU Trailers - Dwight, ND. Specs include:
-Dovetail
-3x5x5/16" angle mainframe and hitch
-Tandem axle - 2 3500# axles
-electric brakes
-wrap around hitch
-2" A frame coupler
-Stored ramps
-2x8 plank floor (Fir)
-2x4 stake pockets
-Tear drop fenders
-82" between fenders
-6' removable front rail
-Breakaway kit
-battery - installed
-lights/reflectors
-safety chains
-new 215 /75R15 tires & white spoked wheels

They are showing these at the Minnesota State fair - knowledgeable members of the family have all said this was a great buy for the trailer. Any thoughts? Is this a good price?

(BTW, my JD4600 w/ FEL is 15' long. If I add my 72" deck, it will be over 18'. I don't think this will be a big problem as I don't expect to haul the mower anywhere and the other implement's I'm looking at are smaller (box blade, for example)

Thanks for the feedback!

-Bob

/ Trailer Suggestions? #2  
Sounds like a good deal to me. Mine is a 16 footer, spring loaded heavy jack, same features without the dovetail. Heavier frame and axles, and rated at 10,000 pounds. With the spare tire and 7 dee rings it was 2,200.

How heavy is your tractor with attachments? I could have gotten away with a 7,000 pounder for my B2710, but got the 10,000 lbs unit instead. With the tractor, loader, box blade and landscape rake my weight is getting up there. I imagine that your Deere is a lot heavier than my little Kubota.

/ Trailer Suggestions? #3  
It does sound like a nice trailer.
My only thoughts concern size as one always tends to overload and require more room as time goes on.

Egon

/ Trailer Suggestions? #4  
Keep in mind the 7,000 lbs is the total weight of the load plus the trailer.

/ Trailer Suggestions? #5  
my trailer is 18 foot dovetail with all the things you list except the rubber what ever. I got it new for $1400. Sounds like you sould drive to KC for a trailer.

Dan L

/ Trailer Suggestions? #6  
I had a 16' trailer and wished I had a longer one --- I bought an 18' and wish I'd bought a 20' -- When I haul my brush hog & tractor - I have to hang a flag out 'cause the brush hog sticks out past the back 2 - 3' ---- It sounds like a good deal - but make sure it's enough trailer for you. keep in mind too that with a dove tail you lose carrying space.
mike

/ Trailer Suggestions? #7  
I would seriously consider a 10k trailer. You will be surprised how very quick you are overloaded with the 7k trailer.

/ Trailer Suggestions? #8  
Hello rmonio;
I replied in your other post but wondered where u live (fill in bio).
I bought a 20' flat deck trailer in central OH (no dovetail to drag around)
2 7k axles w/ brakes
6' pin on ramps
1.25" white oak floor
82" between fenders
stake pockets w/ rub rail
10" head board
7k hd jack
7" channel frame and tongue
4" cross members
weight 4000 lbs.
w/o tires and wheels $2050 (I had my own)
w/new 265 r 75/16 10ply tires and wheels $2450.

/ Trailer Suggestions?
Thanks for all the feedback. One of the reasons I went with the 18' was due to the size situation (with the tractor, loader, and the length of my mower deck factored in) - even then, because the 72" mower deck is 5ft long, it would extend over a bit.

In figuring weights, I thought that if a trailer was rated for 7K pounds that only the weight of the things riding on it could not exceed that number. That being said, the 4600 FWD tractor weighs 3450lbs alone and I'm not sure what the 460 Loader or 72" finish mower weighs. How do I find this out?

I don't plan on having much larger stuff or carrying much more - I figured the price was right for the size of the trailer, etc.

[I've now attached a picture - the one I'm looking at is black with the linux-coating... you can see more of them at the following website: http://www.eddybauersales.com/new_inventory.htm -- scroll down and you'll see their trailers listed - they are local to me here in Minnesota through the Interstate Dealer in Fergus Falls, MN]

I appreciate your feedback - thanks!

-Bob

/ Trailer Suggestions? #10  
Here's a link to a trailer that I bought a few weeks ago.<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/46-181037-trailer1.jpg>
Click here for picture </A>

18' car hauler.
Full steel deck.
3500# axles
stored ramps
stake pockets
electric brakes with breakaway feature
new tires and rims
Crank down jack

Sound very similar to yours except for the steel deck and jack differences.
Paid about the same as you.

The Axles are rated at 3500# each. Since the trailer rests on the axles, you have to subtract the weight of the trailer from the total load capacity. Mine weighs 1500# so I have a usable load rating of 5500#. I'll bet your 4600, FEL and mower will be close to that limit. You might want to look at a heavier capacity trailer.