2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank?

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #21  
Here are some Pix. Trailer is a 1991 8 x 20. Actually 21` outside.
Pulled very well with the 6.0 chevy. I was thinking of getting a new truck with the 5.3 to save on gas, but I'm not sure how it would pull this.

View attachment 163259

View attachment 163260

I drive several of the 1/2T here at work with the 5.3L and my personal truck is a 3/4T with the 6.0L. It is a world of difference, the 5.3 seems to make its power in the higher rpms whereas the 6.0L seems to make it in the lower rpms where you need it for towing.

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #23  
Keep your 6.0 litre. I traded my '02 Chevy 2500 4 X 4 in on a '08 5.3 litre GMC. The gas mileage isn't much better and lost a lot of low end torque. I also hate that "active fuel management" system where some of the cylinders are supposedly turned off when cruising on the highway.

kj

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #24  
I guess if it was me I would buy a 2 5/16 ball and cut the shank off and weld a 3/4" bolt to the bottom. Since you're not going to use it for the road it will hold fine and because it'll look funny it'll be easy to identify as a ball not to be used for road use.

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #25  
You could build or buy a three point hitch attatchment that has a receiver hitch built in so you can use the same ball mount insert you use on the truck. Here are pictures of one I built. You can adjust the angle of the hitch by adjusting the top link length. Mine has an extra ball up higher on a permanent tab welded in, the ones you buy usually have just the receiver hitch.
here is a link to one http://www.summitfab.com/ Here is another made for BX Kubota http://omni-mfg.com/OMNI-BX-Special-3-Point-Trailer-Hitch-for-Kubota-P320193.aspx

Attachments

• 100_0059.jpg
    100_0059.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_0060.jpg
    100_0060.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
   / 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #26  
I used a hitch off an old pickup and modified it a little so I could pin it to the 3 point. Also bought a drawbar for it that has 1-7/8", 2" and 2-5/16" balls welded to it for moving trailers around the yard. Works good. Maybe one day I'll paint it:D.

Attachments

• 31-12-08_1719.jpg
    31-12-08_1719.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 267
   / 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #27  
I have pulled every bit of 3500 lbs many times. 2" ball, 3/4" shank. No issues on level ground.

If I were frequently going to relocate a trailer requiring it, I'd drill out one of these holes to 1" permitting the use of a larger ball.

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank?
I think I'll break down and go for a 3ph hitch receiver.

Anyone have the hitch receiver that bolts onto the front of the BX?

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #29  
...front of the BX?
There are two things I'd be very mildly concerned about:

First, the tongue weight in a loaded travel trailer, as an example, can exceed 1,000# without much trouble. While the front axle of a BX is built to withstand the stress of a loader, I'd be just a smidge concerned about putting all that weight on the front where the tractor's stability IS NOT (pivoting front axle) with no way to remove the load.

Which is the second point. When pulling around something that is so far beyond the tractor's stated capabilities, I feel infinitely more comfortable knowing I can relieve the tractor of all such burden with the flick of a lever. The tractor can do it, mind you. But I wouldn't feel comfortable towing something that big around without being able to hit the reset button.

Just my thoughts. I wouldn't consider anything other than putting the load on the 3PH.

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank?
Very good points Keith.

The idea of dropping the trailer with the 3PH release is smart.

I messed with moving it with my drawbar and 2" ball on the 3PH arms. The BX raised it fine. When I tried to move, there was too much play with a 2" ball and 2 5/16" coupler. I didn't want to risk it and dropped it like you suggested.

I ended up moving the trailer with the CHevy. I will not be able to move it with the truck in the future because I will be building a deck behind the house. The deck will be 8" high, so the BX could drive under it with the ROPS down. The truck won't be able to manuever the area.