2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank?

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #1  

asylum575

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I am picking up a 20' enclosed trailer to store my BX and implements.

No problem pulling it with my 3/4 ton chevy.

I need to move it around the yard and figured I can use the BX with 4x4.

The trailer takes a 2 5/16" ball. The hole on the back of the BX is 3/4. I wouldn't used that anyway. My drawbar that goes on my 3PH is also 3/4. I haven't seen one with a 1" hole.

Do I:

1. drill out the hole to accept 1" shank?
2. Mount a hitch receiver some where to accept the drawbar?

I would be moving the trailer pretty much empty, except for maybe the boxblade and rake if I choose to store them in there. The empty trailer is 2500-3000lbs

What do you guys think?

Before anyone asks, I absolutely promise not to move a loaded trailer with a 3/4 shank ball.

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #2  
Why not get a 3ph attachment that accepts the same 2" ball hitch you use on your truck?

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #3  
Regardless of what you do about the ball be careful about moving a trailer that outweighs the tractor by 2:1. I have moved my 24' enclosed Haulmark with my 820 with R1 tires and have slid down a minor grade in a packed gravel driveway. My trailer weighs 4000lbs and the tractor weighs 4200lbs. Also check the tongue weight and capacity of your drawbar, very easy to loose steering ability.

I would think it is doable on level ground but would think twice before dealing with grades as you have no way to actuate the trailer brakes.

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #4  
A 3/4 shank is plenty for the low speed work you have in mind. However, to avoid modifying 2-5/16 ball with a 3/4 shank that could find its way into other uses, I think you should drill a 1" hole and have the drawbar reinforced in that vicinity so it is not weakened. I dont think youll have any problem moving the trailer. I have lots of experience pulling a trailer heavier than Mighty Mouse up and down 10 degree grades. We use a 2horse trailer to pick up hay in our hilly fields. No problem if youre careful.
larry

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #5  
I can not say I have ever seen a 3/4" shank 2 5/16" ball. All around here are 1" for the light duty ones up to 10,000# or so and 1 1/4" for the heavy duty ones that I use for up to 25,0000#.

I would get a or make a hitch for your 3 point. I just made another last week for a guy as a favor. Cost $35.

Here is one I made for myself a few years back out of Ford Explorer hitch I had laying around. I use this one to pull around boats up to 25,000# around the boat yard behind my Jinma 254. This boat is just over 10,000#.

Chris

Attachments

• log splitter 003.jpg
    log splitter 003.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,146
  • IMAG0104.JPG
    IMAG0104.JPG
    467.5 KB · Views: 714
   / 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #6  
I turned down the shank to get 3/4. Set-up and turning and threading took about 35 minutes... also had to get a 3/4 nut and lock washer.

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #7  
Asylum575, I think you may be asking to much of the BX. If you try to mount a ball to the hole in the plate under the rear diff. you will only have the top of the ball at maybe 10" off the ground, way to low. I would think hooking it up that low would unload the rear axle of the trailer somewhat and give you way more tongue weight than the BX can handle. You will need a 3 pt receiver hitch as some have said to get the proper ball height, but that will also give more leverage to the tongue weight. I have moved my single axle 6X12 full of wood and could not steer the tractor because the front tires were bouncing off the ground. A loader bucket full of something would help you somewhat. but be carefull if you are not on flat ground. I have been moving the 16' car hauler (empty) around the yard and I need to use 4 wheel drive to get traction on the grass. Just somethings to think about.

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank?
Thanks Harley,

In my original post I stated I wouldn't use the tractor mount and was trying to come up with an idea for my 3PH drawbar. All the Cat 1 drawbars I've seen is for a 3/4" shank.
I know it's a safety thing, but I'm probably looking to move it from my garage parking apron to behind the house. Roughly 30-40ft. Once it's on the driveway, I'll hook it up to the truck.
I want to store the trailer tongue first with the drop down rear door towards the driveway. I can't fit my truck back there, but the BX should fit.

/ 2 5/16" ball with 3/4 shank? #10  
I had a local machine shop turn and rethread my hitch ball shank to 3/4" so I could use the 2 5/16" ball with my drawbar on my 8N. I didn't want to drill out the hole or holes in my drawbar. I use it all the time to move my trailers around. Works great. For obvious reasons, this modified ball is ONLY used around our property and NOT on the open road.

Last edited: