Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add?

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #1  

hrcarver

Gold Member
Tractor
jd 6120, 7200, 7700 - ford 2910, 3000, 7610, 7740 - IH 140(2), Super A - kubota m6040
After searching for months for a good and cheap used one exactly like I want it, I'm giving up and having a 20' 5 ton equipment trailer built. If you had it to do over, any options you would get(or leave off).

Thinking about some fork... holders? Not sure what they are called, but a lil spot to load qa forks on the bottom/side of the trailer to save room up top. What is that called?

There is also a 7' wide option, vs the standard 6'6" for $50. Useful or not?

Besides that, was thinking LED lights would be better than crappy regular trailer lights.

Anyone ever actually used a spare tire?

The base 20' 5 ton(4 ton load) trailer for $2800 has 2' dovetail, pressure treated pine floor, two 5200 lbs axles with electric brakes on both axles, and fold up spring assist ramps.

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #2  
The fork storage sounds handy.

I would add 6" of width for $50.

I have used a spare and it is worth having for one reason. Wal-mart and most other tire retailers won't put anything but trailer tires on a trailer and they probably won't have one you like in stock, if any.

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #3  
I wish ours was 8 foot wide.

For about the same price you can get the 6,000 Dexter axles that will nearly offset the weight of the trailer. After getting a 13,000+ pound backhoe I am glad we have three 6K axles.

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add?
I already have a 14k 20'x8.5' straight deckover tag along. I'm keeping it, but the trailer itself is half a load on my pickup, the beams on that thing must be 12" all the way around. Its basically only good for my one ton flat bed.

I am looking for a pickup towable, lightweight trailer that is still heavy enough to haul a 45hp tractor with a couple implements. Spring loaded fold down ramps will be nice instead of lugging out the hide away ramps on my other trailer. I might be a chicken, but loading that deckover w/ no dovetail makes me nervous, not to mention curves on the highway with that tractor up in the air!:eek:

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #5  
Lower is better. The 6K axles while about the same price just gives more options and some margin against pot hole, etc damage.

While our old F-700 is not as easy to drive in tight spots it has the mass and power to start and stop big loads.:D

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #6  
As long as you're having it built to suit, you may want to have the builder add some steel up front to mount a nice winch to when the budget allows.

Perhaps something like this one....a standard 2" X 2" receiver tube that would allow easy mounting/dismounting:

trailer%20winch%20mount%205_medium.jpeg

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #7  
brokenot that is a neat winch set up.:thumbsup:

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #8  
I would go 7' wide for $50. I did so on my trailer and glad I did. The winch plate is smart also. I had to add one to my trailer later on. Not a big deal but might as well get it done now. LED lights are also smart along with upgrading to 6K axles for little or no extra money. As for the spare I have use them on everything I owned except 1 truck. I must have bad luck but there is now way I would get a trailer without one.

One other neat option one of the boat trailer manufactures I deal with has is a full set of extra bearings/races with a seal, tools needed to change it, a 6 ton bottle jack, and a lug wrench all in a plastic box mounted on the inside of the tongue.

Chris

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add?
Might just be my guy, but from 5200 lb axles to 6000lb axles is an extra $500???

7k is $250 over that. For a $2800 trailer, seemed like a steep jump for my use.

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #10  
As long as you're having it built to suit, you may want to have the builder add some steel up front to mount a nice winch to when the budget allows.

Perhaps something like this one....a standard 2" X 2" receiver tube that would allow easy mounting/dismounting:

trailer%20winch%20mount%205_medium.jpeg

Excellent idea on the winch. I like that set up, too.