The Gatormade expierence.

/ The Gatormade expierence.
Welcome to the Gatormade owners club. The latest problems with mine have been the grease seals leaking (non-oil bath) and finding a large void in one of the bearing races. It looked like an air bubble while the race was cast. The Gatormade salesman told me these trailers now have "American axles" under them but I found that the bearings, races, seals, drums, shoes, and backing plate all had made in China on them so I'm pretty sure the entire axle is Chinese.

Mike

Edit: it also looks like they forgot to put the red/white tape on the back of your trailer.

Here is a pic of the back, the tape is on the ramps. I did want to point out something else, the trailer has cross members every 16 inches, but they are only screwed every 32 inches. I also have now been all over the trailer, and I must admit, that the trailer is a very solid, strong trailer. The welds are good, and I can find no cracks etc. t boggles my mind that with such a well designed frame, they could not pay more attention to fit, and Finnish.

Attachments

• trailer 005.jpg
    trailer 005.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 403
  • trailer 016.jpg
    trailer 016.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 379
   / The Gatormade expierence. #22  
You will be happy in 10 years its only screwed every 32". Thats plenty. It just keeps the boards from bouncing and does not really give any structural value. Removing them screws when its time to re-deck are a pain. I never put them all back in when I do this job a few times a year.

Its crazy like you said. They are as well built as any trailer out there. We have a dealer about 20 miles south of me and I stopped in to look at a few he had in stock on Tuesday. They were both bumper pull but looked good but did have crummy wiring. Seems crazy to go top notch on 90% of the build then skimp out of the fit and finish.

Chris

You will be happy in 10 years its only screwed every 32". Thats plenty. It just keeps the boards from bouncing and does not really give any structural value. Removing them screws when its time to re-deck are a pain. I never put them all back in when I do this job a few times a year.

Its crazy like you said. They are as well built as any trailer out there. We have a dealer about 20 miles south of me and I stopped in to look at a few he had in stock on Tuesday. They were both bumper pull but looked good but did have crummy wiring. Seems crazy to go top notch on 90% of the build then skimp out of the fit and finish.

Chris

My dad spent his life working on Tractor trailers. first in a Strick factory, then he had his own business. he said the same thing. Those hardened self tapping screws are tough to drill through without breaking drill bits. this way you get two floor changes before having to try to miss the old screws.

/ The Gatormade expierence. #24  

Chris

I would think it imparts some significant racking resistance to the frame. Like anything similar - adding sheathing and even drywall to a stud-framed wall.

But none the less I am curious about these screws as my trailer is going to need a board replaced (at minimum) and they used those self-tapping Torx screws on it. Should I assume they never come out and just shear off, even with an impact wrench? Then what works best for replacement? I have never seen this type of bolt in any hardware/farm/tool shop that I've been in... Drill new holes and use carriage bolts or something??

Dave

As I recall, we cut the old floor between each cross member, then used a sledge to knock the boards, and as many of the screws that would break off easy. then we ground the rest off flush. Then we tried to avoid drilling/screwing into the old screws. They are hardened. Dad used to get all his floor screws from North East Great Dane.

/ The Gatormade expierence. #26  
More than likely, you are going to have some surface rust at the time you replace your boards. With the screws snapped off and the boards out of the way, clamp a pair of visegrips to what is left under the frame member. Heat the topside with a torch and back it out with the visegrips. Clean up the rust and scorch marks and paint it if it bothers you.

Of course, to reuse the old hole, you are going to have to put the board in place and mark it then predrill the board.

/ The Gatormade expierence. #27  
We do just as others said and cut the boards out and I even use a jack or a chain and my FEL to lift them out. Once out snap the reaming screw off and grind it down.

I have gotten the self tappers at Lowes.

Chris

/ The Gatormade expierence. #28  
It would only add much racking resistance if you used a panel. Boards do almost nothing unless installed diagonally.

I would think it imparts some significant racking resistance to the frame. Like anything similar - adding sheathing and even drywall to a stud-framed wall.

But none the less I am curious about these screws as my trailer is going to need a board replaced (at minimum) and they used those self-tapping Torx screws on it. Should I assume they never come out and just shear off, even with an impact wrench? Then what works best for replacement? I have never seen this type of bolt in any hardware/farm/tool shop that I've been in... Drill new holes and use carriage bolts or something??

Dave

/ The Gatormade expierence. #29  
After countless hours of research, and discussions, and looking at trailers, I ordered a Gatormade 22.5K goosekneck elite trailer. The trailer has arrived at the dealer lot, and I am leaving in two hours to pick it up. Because of all the threads, I read concerning opinions on Gatormade (both good, and bad,) I am starting this thread to answer those questions, concerning initial Quality, and the overall buying expierence.

After reading about 4 of your posts here in this thread it seems clear to me that you were primed for making trouble from the start. Nothing wrong with expecting what you pay for but you knew that there might be a problem and yet jumped in all because you 'told the guy what he better do'. You were looking for a bargain trailer and expecting top quality just because you 'told them it better be perfect'.

/ The Gatormade expierence. #30  
I wouldnt say he was looking for trouble, its just when we pay for something new, i like it to look new and work properly, and far as the paint ruins, thats just BS,they could of fixed that and its not like they didnt see it. wouldnt everyone agree on that. but the light falling out going down the road, i would be really pissed, how was he looking for trouble there may i ask.