The Gatormade expierence.

/ The Gatormade expierence. #41  
I know nothing about this company other than what I have read in this post. However... when I saw the Gatormade emblem that is obviously trying to look like Caterpillar, the first thing I thought of is a Chinese copy-cat type product. My opinion of the company is pretty low... just because of their emblem. The comments in this thread aren't helping either.

Hope the steel, welding, axles, etc. are up to snuff. May be a great trailer other than the runny paint... but I have a hard time believing they put great care in the parts that matter when everything else looks so sloppily put together.

Scotch locks.....:laughing:

/ The Gatormade expierence. #43  
Hope i have better luck, i still got about 2 weeks. Just by being on this forum will help me out alot, from all other peoples problems.

/ The Gatormade expierence. #44  
This was an informative thread - thank you for sharing your experience.

/ The Gatormade expierence. #45  
Again, when buying any trailer look at the overall value and what you can and cannot live with. Do not pay in full until you have inspected it fully no matter what brand.

Chris

/ The Gatormade expierence. #46  
Nice advice, but when you order a trailer and you need it immediately for work and it arrives with scotch locks, crappy paint or chinese wheel bearings, you're hosed. If you're using it to make money, you don't have time to get into a stalemate with the dealer over questionable quality control, you need to put it to work right away. To expect the dealer to correct issues like that in time so that you can still make money is idealistic and a bit naive.

Best thing to do is to inspect someone else's trailer of the same brand and then order it. Then there is a reasonable expectation you'll get close to the same thing or have the dealer sign something that promises a list of expectations to be fullfilled before you'll pay. That puts the onus on him to make good.

/ The Gatormade expierence. #47  
I was actually googling for Paul's email address when I stumbled across this thread.

I bought a gatormade carhauler trailer last friday, drove to tennessee and had two 500 gallon hot water tanks loaded on it, and drove home to Louisville, KY happy as a clam.

I also used to be a trailer retailer, having personally sold 1500 of them in various shapes, sizes, and quality standards. So I think I ought to add my perspective as both a seller, a buyer, and a 30 year metal working tradesman who wouldn't bother getting out of bed to try and build trailers for what the market is likely to pay for them-particularly steel utility trailers or cargo trailers.

First, paint quality. Personally, I think anyone who buys a work trailer is kidding themselves-and not me-if they think a "perfect" paint job is required. What exactly are you doing that you won't scratch that trailer all to **** while working an honest trade anyway? If you got paint on all of it, you are doing substantially better than most trailer purchasors. You need to look at those paint runs not as poor quality, but as an extra thick level of rust protection. If you want a Cadillac, go and buy one for the quality paint job. You bought a utility trailer.

Second, and this refers to the rest of the quality issues....

Steel utility trailer buyers are by and large the tightest wallets you are likely to find for most any product anywhere. That's just the way it is, and the OP's post pretty much details it. The reason he bought a Gatormade was not because of the quality. Oh no, he bought a $8K Gatormade because he couldn't find a $7900 CrocMade, JoeMade, SamMade, or PeteMade. In fact he scoured the internet and was willing to buy from 600 miles away sight unseen to make that low price happen.

I was only willing to drive 150 miles for the lowest price, sight unseen. The fact of the matter is most steel utility trailer buyers are looking for cheap.

You got what you paid for. So did I. I can only say it that clearly and remain polite about it. Expectations of top quality domestic axles, molded one piece wiring harnesses, high quality tires, etc. are things you weren't willing to pay for. I obviously can't speak to what you may have been told. If you were lied to, that is an entirely different matter. But I dealt with Paul, and he didn't lie to me.

You and I most certainly could have gotten a steel trailer made on used axles, with may-pop tires, a "wiring harness" that dangles precariously from the frame in several places, with plain pine decking, a spattering of paint on the outside only, no VIN #, no brakes, made by a guy in his garage with a 110V wire welder, who has no insurance and stacks them up by the side of the road for the REAL price shoppers to feast with their eyes. At least you didn't do that.

But I will tell you, I also had that trailer I just got done describing and ran it long, hard, overweight, and with undersize tow vehicles....and we were not able to kill it in six years of malicious abuse. Finally, a guy showed up on our trailer lot who wasn't willing to pay a few bucks more for an actual legal trailer and convinced us to sell our pride and joy to him....for 90% of what was originally paid for it. I think the only maintenance that was ever done to it was to grease the axles every now and again when someone in the shop needed a task to do. Of course we did replace the used tires when the may-pops did-pop, with spiffy new used tires of various impressive missing tread designs.

Which is the real comfort you should take in all this, sincerely. Because if you or your wallet or your pride should outgrow that trailer that you are now dissatisfied with...well, run her as hard, ragged, and weary as you can....then paint over the battle scars with some cheap spraycan black and see if you can't patch the wires back together that you likely tore up in honest trade (scotchloks or not) and park her by the side of the road with a price of $7100 on it.

She won't be there long. And you will be right proud and well satisfied with her when you see her flickering tail lights pulled off into the distance. Might even miss the deal you got on the old gal.

I bet you're feeling better now.

Dock.

SullivanPics 011.jpg

/ The Gatormade expierence. #48  
I was actually googling for Paul's email address when I stumbled across this thread.

I bought a gatormade carhauler trailer last friday, drove to tennessee and had two 500 gallon hot water tanks loaded on it, and drove home to Louisville, KY happy as a clam.

I also used to be a trailer retailer, having personally sold 1500 of them in various shapes, sizes, and quality standards. So I think I ought to add my perspective as both a seller, a buyer, and a 30 year metal working tradesman who wouldn't bother getting out of bed to try and build trailers for what the market is likely to pay for them-particularly steel utility trailers or cargo trailers.

First, paint quality. Personally, I think anyone who buys a work trailer is kidding themselves-and not me-if they think a "perfect" paint job is required. What exactly are you doing that you won't scratch that trailer all to **** while working an honest trade anyway? If you got paint on all of it, you are doing substantially better than most trailer purchasors. You need to look at those paint runs not as poor quality, but as an extra thick level of rust protection. If you want a Cadillac, go and buy one for the quality paint job. You bought a utility trailer.

Second, and this refers to the rest of the quality issues....

Steel utility trailer buyers are by and large the tightest wallets you are likely to find for most any product anywhere. That's just the way it is, and the OP's post pretty much details it. The reason he bought a Gatormade was not because of the quality. Oh no, he bought a $8K Gatormade because he couldn't find a $7900 CrocMade, JoeMade, SamMade, or PeteMade. In fact he scoured the internet and was willing to buy from 600 miles away sight unseen to make that low price happen.

I was only willing to drive 150 miles for the lowest price, sight unseen. The fact of the matter is most steel utility trailer buyers are looking for cheap.

You got what you paid for. So did I. I can only say it that clearly and remain polite about it. Expectations of top quality domestic axles, molded one piece wiring harnesses, high quality tires, etc. are things you weren't willing to pay for. I obviously can't speak to what you may have been told. If you were lied to, that is an entirely different matter. But I dealt with Paul, and he didn't lie to me.

You and I most certainly could have gotten a steel trailer made on used axles, with may-pop tires, a "wiring harness" that dangles precariously from the frame in several places, with plain pine decking, a spattering of paint on the outside only, no VIN #, no brakes, made by a guy in his garage with a 110V wire welder, who has no insurance and stacks them up by the side of the road for the REAL price shoppers to feast with their eyes. At least you didn't do that.

But I will tell you, I also had that trailer I just got done describing and ran it long, hard, overweight, and with undersize tow vehicles....and we were not able to kill it in six years of malicious abuse. Finally, a guy showed up on our trailer lot who wasn't willing to pay a few bucks more for an actual legal trailer and convinced us to sell our pride and joy to him....for 90% of what was originally paid for it. I think the only maintenance that was ever done to it was to grease the axles every now and again when someone in the shop needed a task to do. Of course we did replace the used tires when the may-pops did-pop, with spiffy new used tires of various impressive missing tread designs.

Which is the real comfort you should take in all this, sincerely. Because if you or your wallet or your pride should outgrow that trailer that you are now dissatisfied with...well, run her as hard, ragged, and weary as you can....then paint over the battle scars with some cheap spraycan black and see if you can't patch the wires back together that you likely tore up in honest trade (scotchloks or not) and park her by the side of the road with a price of $7100 on it.

She won't be there long. And you will be right proud and well satisfied with her when you see her flickering tail lights pulled off into the distance. Might even miss the deal you got on the old gal.

I bet you're feeling better now.

Dock.

View attachment 223420

Nicely said. Best post on trailers I have ever read and like you been in the business, owned, maintained, resold, ect, ect, ect.

You hit the nail on the head.

I will say it again, Gatormade Trailers are a nice trailer for the money. Can not be beat in this area. Oh, and by the way I have replace bearings on 3 trailers in July. Bought each and every bearing at Napa and guess what, made in China. I have no problems with Chinese made products. Its just the way it is. Yes, I could have searched out US made one but thanks to the unions I could have bought a new trailer cheaper.:mad:

Chris

/ The Gatormade expierence. #49  
Plain and simple - I was lied to. The listing for their trailers say painted top and bottom and it was not. I was told there would be no scotch locks but there were plenty. The car haulers are a different breed than the goosenecks with the ability to turn them over when assembled, the goosenecks are not.

/ The Gatormade expierence. #50  
Plain and simple - I was lied to. The listing for their trailers say painted top and bottom and it was not. I was told there would be no scotch locks but there were plenty. The car haulers are a different breed than the goosenecks with the ability to turn them over when assembled, the goosenecks are not.

I would be mad also. Knowing what you are getting is one thing but being lied to is another.:confused:

Chris