What trailer do I need?

/ What trailer do I need? #1  

pitt_md

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5000
I am considering buying a trailer that I can use to haul my tractor/loader around on or haul some large square bales of hay 3 x 3 x 8' ~ 800 lbs. the tractor is a Kubota MX5000 4wd and weighs around 3700 lbs without the loader LA852. I am guessi9ng that the tractor loader weighs around 5000 lbs without any other attachments. It probably would not get used that much if that comes into consideration. I have a 08 F250 diesel to pull it. It needs to be a bumper pull.

I would like to do this as cheaply as possible and still be safe. Anyone have a recomendation on what I should be looking for?

Thanks for your time.

/ What trailer do I need? #2  
I would go with a 20' tandem 12,000# GVWR trailer. The trailer will be around 3,500# empty so it will leave you plenty of capacity.

I would get brakes on both axles, low boy style, slide in ramps, and a wood deck.

As for cheap that is all where you live around here I can buy a trailer like this for about $3000 but I have a feeling you will pay 30% more.

Chris

/ What trailer do I need?
You really think I will need that long of a trailer? I guess I need to measure how long my tractor is but i was hoping a 16' model would work. At any rate thanks for the advice.

/ What trailer do I need? #4  
my sig -
go bigger

Attachments

• tractor 015small.jpg
    tractor 015small.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 173
   / What trailer do I need? #5  
Trailer newbie here, but if you're going to be hauling hay bales, woudn't you want a deckover trailer? Around where I live it's HARD to find anyone who sells a 12,000 lb deckover trailer with 20 feet of actual flat deck (assuming you want a dovetail too).

I know they are out there, but just not real common. You may wind up going to a 14000 lb trailer which is heavier and more expensive than a 10 or 12K model.

Last edited:
   / What trailer do I need? #6  
My 25 HP tractor with a FEK and any implement on the rear is 16' long. I have a 18' trailer and it can be tough to balance the load.

I would measure your rig then add at a minimum of 2'. I think you are going to find you will need a 20 or longer trailer.

Chris

/ What trailer do I need? #7  
Axle placement has a big impact on how easy it is to get the load balanced.

Locally (Tyler, TX) we see a LOT of trailers of all types that have the axles WAY far back, which places a large tongue load on the towing vehicle.

I prefer to have the trailer axle(s) centered approximately 2/3 back based on OAL, that is hitch assembly to tail. Slight variations can accomodate specific loading needs but 50% of OAL is too far forward and 75% of OAL is generally too far rearward.

/ What trailer do I need? #8  
Have a need for a trailer as well. Anyone have any recommendations for dealers around Kansas City?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

/ What trailer do I need? #9  
If I were in Kansas City I would save myself a ton of money and drive down the the Midwest trailer makers capital in southern MO. There are tons of manufactures around Sikeston, MO. I buy from Jerry James Trailers. No the best fit and finish but a lot of trailer for the money. I have sold about a dozen with not a single issue and I use mine atleast once a week for the last 7 years.

It would be a day trip out and back to get your trailer that any dealer in your area will probably be selling anyways. I saved nearly 1/3 the cost by going to pick up my personal trailer at the builders.

Welcome to Jerry James Trailers

Chris

/ What trailer do I need? #10  
I have a 16' 10,000# flatbed. Too short for my TN55, too narrow (just --I like the width where it is) and too light duty (needs larger springs. Otherwise good trailer. 20'/12,000# is a good minimum.

My next trailer will likely be 22~24" deck over. Though I have no issues with the one I have now for unloading hay (buy forks).