Hayes G2 Brake Controller

/ Hayes G2 Brake Controller #1  

Chris611

I bought a Hayes G2 brake controller. The controller doesn't seem sense the deacceration of the truck. I don't even feel like it is doing anything. I have an '05 Duramax with the Allison transmission. The truck does a sort of a downshift deal in the tow/haul mode to slow down. I don't brake very heavy and if I watch the display on the controller, it never goes very high. If I stab the brakes, I can sometimes get it to kick in and I see the output of the controller increase and can feel the trailer brakes being applied. Has anyone else used this controller? Are you having similar issues? I had an old Kelsey controller in my old truck and pulled an 18' enclosed trailer and it worked flawlessly. Now I'm not very happy with this new fangled high tech controller.

/ Hayes G2 Brake Controller #2  
Not familiar with that controller but I am sure its either you just got a bad one or more than likely you do not have it set up or installed properly. I would either go the the place you bought it and first have them check your install and programing of the controller or call the tech support telephone number first thing in the morning.

Chris

/ Hayes G2 Brake Controller
I'm actually on my second controller. The first one wouldn't come on no matter how hard I hit the brakes. I called Hayes and they were very helpful and sent a new on to me and I would send them back the one I had since I needed the trailer on the weekend. I have the new one installed it and it works better. I was told there was newer more aggressive version of software in the new one. Seemed to help, but there is still room for improvement. I guess I will give it a shot this weekend and see if it works better or try fiddling with it more. Frustrating....

Oh well. Figured I'd try a new controller even thought there were no reviews on it. I guess that's what I get.

Thanks
Chris

/ Hayes G2 Brake Controller #4  
Perhaps there is a issue with the wiring on the truck? What do you have it installed on? Also have you checked it with a different trailer? It may be the trailer.

Chris

/ Hayes G2 Brake Controller #5  
The controller you have might be like my new one, for an example, if you have it set on 6 volts and when you first put your brakes on, it might start out at 2 volts and work its way up to 6 volts or what you have it set on, this might take about 2-3 seconds. Now the old one that i had, if i had it set on 6 volts then when i use the brakes it goes to 6 volts and you will know it to, sometimes that is good, but it jerks me around alot in city driving, but now i am use to the new controller, and its alot easyer on me and what i am pulling.
Next time you use your brakes look at the reading on the display, i might start out at a low # and work its way up to a higher #. But all things said i do like the new controller better, but some people might like that hard jerk at first. good luck, and hope this helps.

/ Hayes G2 Brake Controller #6  
The jerking around in city driving is the biggest complaint I hear from folks. Mainly with the Prodigy P3 but that is probably because I install a lot of them due to the price point and good reputation. The only real smooth controllers I have yet to use are the ones like the Ford Factory Controller and aftermarket units that utilize a pressure sensor in the vehicles brake line such as the MaxBrake.

Chris

Perhaps there is a issue with the wiring on the truck? What do you have it installed on? Also have you checked it with a different trailer? It may be the trailer.

Chris

The controller is in an '05 Duramax. The trailer is an '08 Loadmax G-neck. If I use the manual over ride the brakes work fine. My controller has a percentage of braking readout. It also has a boost featuer. Basically as soon as you hit the brakes, the boost kicks in. The boost can be set at Off, 5%, 10%, 15% or 20%. Then as you deccerate, the percentage braking goes up to whatever your maximum set point is. I have mine at about 60%. Maybe it's the brakes in my truck are not good enough to give that quick decceleration that the controller is looking for to know, hey I need to brake. Becuase sometimes it never increases as I slow down. Sometimes it does.

Odd.

/ Hayes G2 Brake Controller #8  
The GM trucks were never know for there brakes. I had a 05 Dmax 3500 and it was one of my big complaints but to be honest they never gave me any problems in the 9 months I owned it. I do not think your truck is your problem.

Maybe at this point you should try another controller. Can you get your money back for this one? If you are pulling any type of real load, say 12K or above I would spend the coin and get a MaxBrake or equivalent. If you want to stay at the $125 price point get a Prodigy P3. Nothing fancy but well respected and bullet proof.

Chris

I purchased the controller from brakercontroller.com which is a Southwest wheel company. I think I may contact them and see if I can return it and buy a different one from them. I tow an 8000lb pulling truck on the 25' gneck trailer about twice a week all summer long to and from the pulls. So I will get my use out of it. Sometimes the wife drives home when I celebrate too hard ;) She does good, but doesn't need to be worring about a brake controller that's not working right.

Thanks all
Later
Chris

/ Hayes G2 Brake Controller #10  
I know its expensive but at $400 the MaxBrake will make your towing experience a dream compared to every other controller out there. Many complain about the cost but think of it this way. Your truck is worth $20,000, the trailer is worth $5,000, your pulling truck is worth $50,000 or more. See where I am going???

MaxBrake™ - Hydraulic over Electric Variable Brake Controller

Chris