Aligning MH Wheels

/ Aligning MH Wheels #1  

SpecElim

Hey everyone. I know this is going to make me sound >STOOOOPID< but I have a 7' x 12' trailer with tandem 5200lb. MH axles. I have just replaced all of the spring hangers, springs, spring seats, equalizers, shackles, bolts, and one new hub! Finally I'm done with that!!! I didn't think I would ever finish.

Anyways...to get to the point of it all I have no clue how to "Properly" align these demountable wheels.

(I know these aren't great axles/wheels to use and I don't need to hear about this. I am not going to change the axles/wheels because that would cost waaaaaaaay toooo much.)

Thank you for the help!

/ Aligning MH Wheels #2  
As you know its a pain. I have never been able to get them mounted up properly but there are some who can. Try to find that guy locally to show you how.

For low speed travel they are ok but I have never had any luck at high speed travel. For that reason we now will not take any trailer or even tow any trailer with them in our trailer/boat business.

Chris

/ Aligning MH Wheels
They always ride horrible at low speeds around 25mph for me. They work fine at higher speeds (Except when empty) The only reason I have to align them is because I had them all off to inspect the hubs and replace the springs etc...

They are really great for applications like mine (Equipment trailer) because they are super heavy duty. I think mine are 12 ply. Load range E. I regularly haul 7000lbs plus the weight of the trailer = about 10,000.

What tire pressure should I run these at? I have about 40 in them right now. They are rated for like 2700lbs @ 110 psi cold if I remember correctly.

Thanks, Matt.

/ Aligning MH Wheels #4  
For that weigh I would run 65psi or more. That is what I run in my tri axle boat trailer that has 3 6,000# axles and a total weight of 15,600#. Just be careful airing up old mobile home tires. I have seen a few blow up due to dry rot.

Chris

/ Aligning MH Wheels #5  
Get the lugs snug then tighten with a torque wrench in a crossing pattern. Don't recall the torque spec but it might be embossed on the lugs.
Use a block of wood or something solid to hold a metal ruler or piece of rod to check for run out. Hold the ruler down against the block about a 1/4" from the tire. Spin the tire. Slowly move the ruler towards the tire until it touches. Mark the tire at that point. Loosen the lug or lugs opposite the "high" spot. Tighten the lug that corresponds with the high spot, then retorque the lugs that you loosened. Use the block and ruler to check for run out again. Its kind of a pain at first but once you've done a few it doesn't take long.

Inflate tires to MFG recommended pressure. It's easy to knock a tire off a rim when they're under inflated. MH tires don't seat on the beads like a car or truck tire. We've used tubes in some of our trailer tires. The rim mounting system leaves something to be desired but once you get used to it, it's not too bad.

We've had several trailers with MH or the similar UTG axles over the years, and still have three trailers that use them. I've racked up allot of miles on trailers with MH axles and only had one problem. I had a wheel bearing fail and that was due to poor maintenance (no grease). Learned my lesson and haven't had any issues since 1988.

I was told that the '37 Ford style wheels will bolt on MH and UTG hubs but I haven't tried them. The '37 Ford bolt pattern is what many stock cars use. They're also called "modified" or "wide five" bolt pattern in racing. There are all kinds of wheel widths and back spacing available. If they do indeed bolt on it would make it allot easier to change tires. Problem is you'd be stuck with 15" tires with a lower load rating.