Tow Ratings, New Vehicle

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #1  

foggy1111

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3560 HSTC, 805 Loader
I do a fair amount of towing with a SUV. Most of it is pretty light duty requirements......but I have a heavy boat that I tow short distances in the spring and fall, and like the ability to tow my tractor if I want / need to.

RANT: So I go to Edmunds to look at SUV's and do some internet searches to compare tow ratings. DUH....NOBODY lists the tow ratings for these vehicles. What do they think people buy these for? It's really aggravating when your trying to gather incomplete data on these vehicles. :confused2::confused:

I currently own an 07 GMC Acadia....but wonder what other "crossover" or small size SUV will tow up to 5000 lbs? Ideas?

Please....no safety police.....just tow vehicle ideas. :laughing:

RANT 2: Geez....we used to pull more weight with CARS than what they rate many of these SUV's for. :confused: It's all about highway gearing and gas mileage (and unibody) anymore. I am trying desperately NOT to own a second tow vehicle and still get 'er done. grrrrr

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #3  
we used to pull more weight with CARS than what they rate many of these SUV's for

Yep, but look at the differences. My parents used to pull a travel trailer with a Buick and later, an Oldsmobile, but they had a frame under them and 455 cu. in. V-8 engines. And I used to pull a travel trailer with a Chrysler Town & Country station wagon; 440 cu. in. V-8.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #4  
WOW they do make it hard to find. I remember the VW Touarreg having pretty good towing capacity. It took me a good 10 minutes to find it.

Towing Capacity

You can tow up to 7,716 lbs. of whatever you need to with your Touareg.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #5  
Yep, but look at the differences. My parents used to pull a travel trailer with a Buick and later, an Oldsmobile, but they had a frame under them and 455 cu. in. V-8 engines. And I used to pull a travel trailer with a Chrysler Town & Country station wagon; 440 cu. in. V-8.

You're absolutely right, Bird. Big motors and big heavy cars, up until the gas crunch back in the 70's.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #6  
It seems like now if you want to tow more then 5000lbs you need 3/4ton truck. You can do it with less, but just barely.

Wedge

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle
Thanks for the tips.....my quest continues.........

(it's almost strange how ALL the popular vehicle rating's firms (Edmunds, MSN, Yahoo, etc) OMIT all the tow ratings on SUV's and Pickup trucks (its like they hide the fact you can tow with them). They outta be ashamed of themselves. They talk more about cup holders than truck duty.

(OK....I'll get over my rant on this....some day! :laughing:)

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #8  
Um...isn't it the other way around now. Half-tons are more capable than ever with most having a top tow rating around 10K properly equipped. New half ton trucks are in the same league as early 90's 3/4 tons in terms of capability.

It seems like now if you want to tow more then 5000lbs you need 3/4ton truck. You can do it with less, but just barely.

Wedge

I do find it frustrating that it is getting harder every year to get detailed towing capacities for popular suvs & trucks.

It will be hard, if not impossible, to find a FWD biased crossover SUV comparable to the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave that can tow more than 5000 lbs with the fuel economy they offer. Most of the popular SUVs aren't trucks anymore, they are FWD station wagons with a lift and tall tires. Adding AWD doesn't change their FWD family sedan origins. If you need something that can do a truck's job in a pinch (like tow over 5K), then you will probably have to upgrade to a truck based vehicle such as an Explorer, Expedition, Tahoe, etc. There are a few unibody SUVs that can do it, like the Toureg and Jeep Grand Cherokee, but the fact is that a vehicle which is FWD in its 2wd form will not make a decent tow vehicle for >5K.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #9  
Jeez, a mid 80's elcamino with a 305 engine had a tow capacity of 6000...don't need no 455.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #10  
Chevy Trailblazers have a tow rating of around 6000lbs. I've got one with the 4.3L engine, and have approached that weight a few times. Does well on the highways, and around town.. just gotta take it easy on the hills.