Test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Today

/ Test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Today #1  

Lt CHEG

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland T5.120
I am still somewhat tossing around the idea of upgrading to a 3/4 ton crew cab to replace my 1/2 ton crew cab. I bought my trailer in May and have used it a little. Frankly I've had enough work to pay for the $2500 I spent on the trailer but haven't had any more since so I'm not so sure that upgrading would be even wise not to mention unnecessary. That never stopped me from being curious though. I had a little time after work last week thanks to an early morning search warrant. I happened to be driving by a Dodge dealership and saw a beautiful Ram 2500 heavy duty, crew cab 4x4 with the off road package and Cummins turbo diesel. I have no complaints from any of the GM products I've owned and still like the looks of my truck just fine, but darn if that Dodge 2500 isn't the best looking truck on the road. I've really got to give it to Dodge, that truck is dead bang sexy.

So today I said to myself, what the heck let's take one for a test drive. So I test drove a Mega Cab 2500 Cummins 4x4. It was very nice, huge cab which was a big plus. It rode much much better than my Uncle's 2000 Ram CTD. Actually it still doesn't ride nearly as nice as my 1500 Silverado Z71, but the ride quality is nice, nice enough in fact that I think I could get my wife to at least ride in a 3/4 ton. The engine and tranny combo was very nice and I was heartily impressed with the engine's performance and manners.

With all that said, there is no way that I'll be buying one of these any time soon. I reset the fuel economy computer before I began my test drive. I drove it for about 15 minutes on a mix of city streets and highway. The average economy was 12.3 mpg. It was only 8.9 mpg in the city but improved to 12.3 overall on the highway keeping the speed to 65. That level of fuel economy is just unacceptable for my purposes. My uncle gets an honest 19 mpg unloaded with his truck, at least on the highway with the ulsd, he got better before that though. I got 8.5 mpg towing my tractor and trailer 150 miles from home loaded 400 pounds beyond the weight rating of the truck with a 5.3 V8 which did all that I needed to do. I can't imagine the Dodge doing that much better towing at least not enough to justify a new truck. This emission control junk is killing these new diesels. I really liked this truck but there's no way that I could ever justify buying it.

I can't even find a 2010 GM diesel within 100 miles of where I live so I haven't been able to test drive a Duramax. I'm still waiting for the local Ford dealer to give me a call when they get in a 2011 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4 that isn't already sold so that I can give it a test drive. If all the magazines' claims are correct about the great fuel economy with the urea injection system then maybe that is the way to go. Maybe that's the solution to getting good fuel economy out of a diesel that still has all the emissions junk on it, at least I'm hoping so. But as of now it looks like I'll be investing in a stronger hitch for my truck so that I don't have to use weight distribution to be within its weight ratings, and some air bags and/or load helper springs to get my truck to be a more capable puller when I need to tow my tractor. As of now it looks like if you're only towing 10,000 pounds that there is no advantage to owning a diesel at least in my experience. Heck I'd even consider an upgrade to a 3/4 ton without the diesel if I could get the 5.3 V8 in it. I wouldn't have the sag when I tow and the 5.3 will do a fine job pulling the load, just like it has for me already. I've driven the 6.0 liter V8 and it just doesn't offer enough extra, and what little extra it does deliver, it provides at a substantial fuel economy penalty. I will say this though, that 2010 Ram 2500 is one GREAT looking truck.

/ Test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Today #2  
You are right about the emission stuff killing the fuel mileage on the new models, when they have to richen the fuel/air mixture in the Diesel particulate filter to help burn off the soot the fuel mileage will drop.
I think Dodge has finally gotten all the bugs out of their software for the computer on diesel emissions, as they had a bunch of troubles in earlier model years and they would just reflash your computer to a newer program.
I will stick with my 2001 Dodge Cummins, I get a honest 20 miles per gallon when empty if I keep it under 70 mph.
On the new HD Dodge body style, a person either loves it like you or they hate it with a passion.

/ Test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Today #3  
You see it like I do. I have a 04 and a 06 Powerstroke and they will turn in a honest 17 mpg mixed and do nearly 24 on the highway. They are both 4x4 and used hard. I love the new trucks but there is no way I am cutting my economy more than 50% just so I can have a new truck. I don't even get the diesels out of the barn unless I am hitching up 10K or more. Like you said the newer gassers can easily handle the 10,000# tow ratings most have.

I love the looks of the Dodge also but after owning one before I would have to get a great deal to go down the road again. If I were you I would look for used 5.9 Cummins, something around a 07. I know where 2 are for sale now by boating buddies of mine but they both want a arm and a leg for them because they know they have the last of the goodies.

Chris

/ Test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Today #4  
If I were you I would look for used 5.9 Cummins, something around a 07. I know where 2 are for sale now by boating buddies of mine but they both want a arm and a leg for them because they know they have the last of the goodies.

Chris
+1 I'll second that motion.

/ Test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Today #5  
I'm really starting to feeling better about having to drive my 96 12 valve cause that's all that is in the budget.:D

/ Test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Today
You see it like I do. I have a 04 and a 06 Powerstroke and they will turn in a honest 17 mpg mixed and do nearly 24 on the highway. They are both 4x4 and used hard. I love the new trucks but there is no way I am cutting my economy more than 50% just so I can have a new truck. I don't even get the diesels out of the barn unless I am hitching up 10K or more. Like you said the newer gassers can easily handle the 10,000# tow ratings most have.

I love the looks of the Dodge also but after owning one before I would have to get a great deal to go down the road again. If I were you I would look for used 5.9 Cummins, something around a 07. I know where 2 are for sale now by boating buddies of mine but they both want a arm and a leg for them because they know they have the last of the goodies.

Chris

I just don't tow enough to justify a second tow vehicle. I wouldn't want to sell off my truck and buy a used truck, especially if I didn't know the owner and the truck's history. I know that financially buying a new vehicle off the lot is a poor investment, but that's what I do and what the wife prefers. I know it may sound weird but I don't mind making payments every month as long as I don't have to fork out any money for expensive repair bills (I keep a vehicle as long as it is under warranty and/or buy extended warranties).

I still want to test drive the new Super Duty and the new 2011 Silverado too when they come out, but if I'm not seeing better than 20 mpg highway mileage at the minimum when test driving them then there's no way I'd even consider buying one. I suppose I could consider removing the DPF and catalytic converter but I just am not that into working on my vehicles and having to put the emissions equipment back on every year for inspections and then take it back off is not appealing to me. I'd say that most likely I'll end up buying a class IV hitch that is rated for 10,000 pounds or more without weight distribution to replace my factory hitch and also invest in heavy duty load helping air bags and/or load helper springs for my current truck. As long as I get my load balanced properly I don't squat the truck too much with a fully loaded trailer with or without weight distribution. I just don't like messing around with the weight distributing hitch and frankly my equipment trailer isn't really set up for it as I have to put some blocking material on the tongue when installing the brackets as the channel opening is on the outside instead of the inside. My truck had absolutely no problem pulling the 10,000 pound load and I'd have no issues pulling that weight with my truck, especially considering most of the time I'd be pulling 15 miles or less. I just don't like the looks of the truck sagging and would want a way to get it back up to normal height in the rear. At this point I'm thinking that these improvements to my truck would be a much better investment.

/ Test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Today #7  
Let's see, the Government demands better fuel economy from the truck manufacturers and then the Government imposes strict emissions standards on those same manufacturers.
Normally 1 + 1 = 2, but in this case 1 + 1 = 0 and we, the buying public, end up being the losers.
Not a political rant, just a statement of fact.

/ Test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Today #8  
Let's see, the Government demands better fuel economy from the truck manufacturers and then the Government imposes strict emissions standards on those same manufacturers.
Normally 1 + 1 = 2, but in this case 1 + 1 = 0 and we, the buying public, end up being the losers.
Not a political rant, just a statement of fact.

You are 100% correct. My college room mate just got a 2010 Dmax 2500 4x4 with 3.73 gears and a short bed crew cab in May. I talked to him over the weekend and he said its not gotten much better than 14 and he is averaging 12. He said his 07 in the same configuration but with the 6.0 gas did about the same for him and his driving style. What is funny is the largest thing he owns to tow is a single axle utility trailer. He could pull that with Civic. He just likes new big trucks and always gets a new one every few years.

Chris

/ Test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Today #9  
I have an 09 Dodge Cummmins 4X4 with 25,000 miles. It has the same drivetrain you test drove. The overhead MPG display is absolutely worthless. I have average about 16 MPG mixed city/hwy. I can get 18 MPG if I baby it on the highway. Towing 9000# i get about 11 MPG at 67 MPH through some hills.

You can go to www.cumminsforum.com for more information than you can possibly imagine.

/ Test drove a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Today #10  
I have an 09 Dodge Cummmins 4X4 with 25,000 miles. It has the same drivetrain you test drove. The overhead MPG display is absolutely worthless. I have average about 16 MPG mixed city/hwy. I can get 18 MPG if I baby it on the highway. Towing 9000# i get about 11 MPG at 67 MPH through some hills.

You can go to www.cumminsforum.com for more information than you can possibly imagine.

Not knowing exactly how the on-board computer calculates fuel mileage, nor where the fuel return line is located in the system; I can only offer this opinion. To get an accurate on the go reading requires a flow-meter to be the last thing in-line before the injectors.

Otherwise do the old fashioned gas station calculations using odometer mileage and gallons pumped into the tank. The trouble is this is impossible to do on a test drive.