Locking Hubs on 2003 F350 4WD

/ Locking Hubs on 2003 F350 4WD #1  

jayste

Veteran Member
"Sold the 1/4 of a 1/4 but still tractorin' "
Tractor
2004 Kubota M4800 SU
I could go to one of the Ford truck forums but I'd rather start here with my tractor Pards first. My 2003 F350 has the manual locking hubs and floor shift 4WD. The passenger side hub is getting pretty stiff to turn to lock without using a pair of pliers or something. Any of you guys have any ideas to how to loosen this up without disassembling the hub? :confused:

Attachments

• SD530348.jpg
    SD530348.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 510
   / Locking Hubs on 2003 F350 4WD #2  
You could try some silicon spray but been my luck I usually have to take it all apart and clean it.

/ Locking Hubs on 2003 F350 4WD #4  
Its not to bad of a job but I have not done it in 15 years but I put a set of aftermarket Warn Locking Hubs on my Ranger back in the late 90's. If I remember right it as only $100. I can not remember what was even wrong with the Ranger Hubs its been so long.

While I have owned 3 Ford Superdutys and currently still have 2 I have always had the electronic type 4 wheel drive so no hubs to lock. Well I guess they still had the lock feature but I always leave them on auto.

If you do not feel comfortable any tranny shop should be able to change them out in just a hour or two.

Chris

/ Locking Hubs on 2003 F350 4WD #5  
There are several threads on this topic on Ford Truck Enthusiasts.com. As I remember, getting the hub off to clean it is very simple, i.e., just removing a few screws and a big snap ring.

/ Locking Hubs on 2003 F350 4WD #7  
   / Locking Hubs on 2003 F350 4WD #8  
The lockout hub itself doesn't have many parts:

1. The actuator knob retainer is the part with the allen screws in it.
2. The actuator knob is the part you turn on the outside to lock hub.
3. On the inside is a couple O-rings to seal out the mud.
4. A couple of flat snap rings
5. A actuator cam: is what pushes in the outer hub gear when you turn the hub from Free to Lock.
6. A pressure spring to keep tension.
7. A outer hub gear.

Put lockout hub in free position.
Remove allen screws.
Gently pry/pull lockout hub off.
It should come off in one piece unless you have broken pieces inside.
If you need to replace the lockout hubs I recommend paying a little more and get the WARN Premium Lockouts, all metal, no plastic knobs.

/ Locking Hubs on 2003 F350 4WD
There are several threads on this topic on Ford Truck Enthusiasts.com. As I remember, getting the hub off to clean it is very simple, i.e., just removing a few screws and a big snap ring.

This will be the kind I have. Due to mine being a one ton truck I have the hub extentions to allow for the concave wheels on the front. It appears that by removing the 8 nuts that bolt the hub ext. to the brake rotor and removing the snap ring from within the hub ext. it might come off...:confused: Then again maybe I need to leave the hub ext. on and just remove the snap ring... Mine isn't the kind that has several allen head cap screws in the face of it.

/ Locking Hubs on 2003 F350 4WD #10  
All you have to do is use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the larger retainer ring, don't, have to remove the wheel even. Then pull the locking hub straight out. you may have to use a large set of slip joint pliers and a towel or rag wrapped around the hub if you don't want to scratch or mark up the hub to remove it. About the only way to truly fix the hub fully is to completely take the thing apart, including drilling the small hole in the dial and remove it to clean and lube behind it. Mine are the Vacuum auto / lock style and were having issues, now for a few hours of time, they work better then they ever have. I don't remember on the full manual hubs like yours if you can get to the backside of the dial from the inside, so you don't have to drill the hole to remove it. I think you can but it has been a while sense i had one of them apart

The link that dstig1 Posted is the one I followed and got the additional info on drilling the hole and removing the dial.

Also you may want to check into a set of aftermarket hubs like the warn or milemarker, the ford hubs are a little lacking in the longevity department. :)

Attachments

• 0206101437-01.jpg
    0206101437-01.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 298
  • 0206101437-00.jpg
    0206101437-00.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 0206101438-02.jpg
    0206101438-02.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 412
  • 0209101637-00.jpg
    0209101637-00.jpg