14k with TBI 454

/ 14k with TBI 454 #1  

gilraine

Bronze Member
Tractor
none yet
I own a 92 K3500 with a 454, nv4500 and 4.11 gears.how would this truck handle a fifth wheel trailer weighing in at 14k?

/ 14k with TBI 454 #2  
How much towing? Is the truck sound? How is the frame and hitch area? Are they up to the task? The 454 of that era was pretty weak. They only made 230 to 255 HP and only 385 to 405 FT LBS of torque. Most 1/2 tons today make that and sum. The good news is its a 454 which makes the power on the bottom end so I have no doubt it would pull it decently. If i were to do it I would have both the tranny flushed and the radiator removed and cleaned then service. I would also install the largest tranny cooler I could find for it and take care of the rear axle and U-joints at the same time. Sorry, but there is no free lunch.

By the way my book shows the max tow rating is 13,500# for that rig.

Chris

/ 14k with TBI 454
How much towing? Is the truck sound? How is the frame and hitch area? Are they up to the task? The 454 of that era was pretty weak. They only made 230 to 255 HP and only 385 to 405 FT LBS of torque. Most 1/2 tons today make that and sum. The good news is its a 454 which makes the power on the bottom end so I have no doubt it would pull it decently. If i were to do it I would have both the tranny flushed and the radiator removed and cleaned then service. I would also install the largest tranny cooler I could find for it and take care of the rear axle and U-joints at the same time. Sorry, but there is no free lunch.

By the way my book shows the max tow rating is 13,500# for that rig.

Chris

its got a freshly rebuilt NV4500 manual transmission.... not worried about the transmission, frame is clean with no rust anywhere....i

/ 14k with TBI 454 #4  
How often would you be towing and for how many miles each trip? If it was going to be used for shorter trips and not real often I would think it would work fine. However, if its going to be pretty frequent I think it might get old. The 454s that I have been around tend to be fairly slow when pulling something heavy and really eat up the gasoline, to the point of being down right expensive.

In the end it kinda depends on how often and what you are looking to get out of the trips. :confused2:

/ 14k with TBI 454 #5  
i tow that w/my 350 powered 3500. kinda slow, but does the job.......