Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
I have a 1995 Hyundai Gas Golf Cart and when we turn the key to start it and depress the accelerator it just keeps turning but does not fire. I suspect the starter or starter solenoid since it has never been a problem and has been well maintained. Hyundai no longer makes golf carts nor do they have parts support that I know of ...does anyone have any ideas on work arounds ..could I use a different make solenoid or starter ? Thanks in advance.

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help #2  
I have a 1995 Hyundai Gas Golf Cart and when we turn the key to start it and depress the accelerator it just keeps turning but does not fire.

I am no golf cart expert, but if by "turning" you are refering to the engine, I would venture to say that the starter and solenoid are probably working ok. Probably a fuel or spark issue.

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help #3  
If you are saying it is turning over then it is not a solenoid or starter problem.

If the engine is spinning, the starter and solenoid are doing their job and you have a problem in the engine or related components.

Need Fuel, air, compression and spark, one of those is not happening or the fuel / air mixture is off.

Start with the easy and work towards the difficult, Air and fuel would be what I would look at, then check spark. Compression is possible, but not as likely a problem as the others.

Hope you get it sorted.

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help #4  
I have a 1995 Hyundai Gas Golf Cart and when we turn the key to start it and depress the accelerator it just keeps turning but does not fire. I suspect the starter or starter solenoid since it has never been a problem and has been well maintained. Hyundai no longer makes golf carts nor do they have parts support that I know of ...does anyone have any ideas on work arounds ..could I use a different make solenoid or starter ? Thanks in advance.

Is the choke working as it should?

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help
I mistated it I think...When I said turning over I mean it is the starter that is making a noise. Usually when the cart is working - you turn the key and then just depress the gas pedal and it will make a clicking sound and then the engine starts right away. Now it just keeps making the clicking sound but the engine never actually tries to start.

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help #6  
Right, seems like a gas golf cart has a DC motor that spins the engine to get things rolling when you press the gas. Did you try reverse? Could be a host of culprits I suspect but if its the switch, trying reverse might isolate it?

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help #7  
Is it possible to get a picture of the starter?

Can the cover / body / panels come off so you can see the nose of the starter?

First thing to do is determine if the starter is spinning the motor over or not.

If not the second thing I would probably do is hotwire the starter to isolate if it is a starter or a switching / relay safety problem.

Picture of the starter would help me tell you how to hotwire it.

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help #8  
Sounds like a low battery or dirty connections on the battery cables. Check the battery an check the water in it. Clean BOTH ends of BOTH cables.

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help #9  
I would start at the the simple stuff first. Start at the beginning with the battery and work your way back. Clean connections and verify with a volt meter and you will find the issue.

Chris

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help
Thanks for all the replies...We owned this golf cart and then gave it to my son so I am realying the information he is giving me..He tells me that when they tapped on the solenoid it would then start but now tapping on the solenoid no longer works and it just makes the whirring noise as JLSargent described. The whirring noise always happened and when you pressed the gas pedal in forward or reverse the engine would start and now whether in forward or reverse it is just the whirring noise and no engine turn over in forward or reverse..the battery is fully charged and terminals are clean...Any more thoughts. ?